Which 22/45 do I want?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet69

Bearcat
I would like the one that most closely replicates the feel of a standard-sized 1911A1 the closest, would that be the 5.5" or the 4.5" barrel on the Mark III? I just was turned on to the fact that these existed, I have been thinking of building a 22LR dedicated 1911, but I can save a pretty penny this way, for sure it seems. Let me know what y'all think. Also, do I want a MkII or a MkIII?
PS: I am leaning toward the 5.5 bull barrel because of the adjustable sights...
Mike B

E

Single-Sixer
Though I don't own a 1911 (but have shot them before), I would guesstimate that the 5.5" barreled 22/45 approximates a Government Model sized 1911 and the 4.5" maybe approximates the feel of a Commander sized 1911 -- at least in their weight distribution. The bull-barreled 22/45 may even feel a little more top-heavy because of the polymer lower when compared to an all-steel 1911. The 22/45 is probably 6 ounces lighter than a standard 1911. I have the 5.5" Mark III 22/45 and love it.

Controls on a 22/45 have roughly the same placement as on a 1911 (and Hi-Power and Taurus 92, both of which I do have and use a 22/45 as a cheaper-shooting alternative), but they do have a different feel. The 22/45 grip is also on the thin side if you go with a Mark III. I can't speak to the Mark II version.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
purportedly, the slab-sided 4.5" barrel mk3 is closest to a 1911. the 5.5" is a little muzzle-heavy. i prefer the muzzle-heavy feel, to be honest. i shoot the 5.5" very well, to me its the ideal length and weight of the 22/45. and i like the adjustable sights too

that being said ... aside from the controls being in the same place as the 1911 ... its really hard for me to compare the two guns. i'd buy the 22/45 because you like the feel of it and because its a real good plinker in its own right, not necessarily to imitate the 1911. something like the kimber pro target would probably much more closely imitate the feel of a 1911.

comparing mark II to Mark III: the mark II has a thicker grip than the mark III. the mark II grip also is very slippery if your hands start to sweat any. i had to remove the LCI on my MKIII to make it function. Mark II has a better trigger. Mark II is also a little easier to reassemble, although they can both be tricky until youve done it a few times. the mark III is more slender overall, and I prefer that. magazine disconnect and LCI are a PIA, though. so the factors go both ways.

i own two 22/45's (Mark II and Mark III) and two 1911's, so this is just my calculated opinion :D

contender

Ruger Guru
They both are quite good. And they both can be had with adjustable sights. I know,, we have a MKII and a MKIII in the 22/45 here.
Go to a gun shop,, with a selection of both Rugers,,, and a 1911. See which one feels the "closest" in YOUR hands. Then buy that one.

TechTeach

Bearcat
The Ruger MKIII 22/45 has the same grip angle, safety, mag release, and bolt release as the 1911. I shoot USPSA and use the MKIII 22/45 for practice the only problem is the frame grips are narrow but this can be rectified by installing aftermarket grips. The grips will give you the feel of a 1911 and are well worth the price. Goto youtube and search Ruger MKIII 22/45 grips.