Where have all the Alaskan's gone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Marine24 said:
That is what I'm hoping for but will wait until the prices get down to reality. Unfortunately supply and demand rule.

Anyone in wholesale/retail side of the gun business know what "This item is currently Allocated" means? Not sure if that is a code phrase for "sit back, it is going to be a long wait" or if stock will be available shortly.

Called my dealer, and he said allocated from Davidson means that a dealer(s) have a standing order for the item. If dealer orders are filled and there are more available they will then be sold to the general public.

I wonder if the "Rock's" new movie "FASTER" where he uses an Alaskan is causing this price increase much like Dirty Harry did to the 29.

I've never see ANY movie made by this "Rock" character. Much less whatever his newest one is. I wanted an Alaskan because there really isn't anything else quite like it. S&W made short barreled versions of the .500 but it still has a four inch barrel plus brake. And that long cylinder. Put one of those next to an Alaskan and the Ruger suddenly looks a lot more packable.

I started wanting one after the first review Jeff did of one. He liked it a lot. And I doubt he's seen any movies with the Rock either!

Gregg

stantheman86

Buckeye
I have little interest in an Alaskan, if I bought a .454 Alaskan I would probably fire a box through it and it would sit in my safe...........doesn't strike me as a fun gun to shoot. Now, a 7.5" Super Redhawk .454, with Bowen Rough Country rear sight and a set of large Letts, is one of my "dream guns" right now. THAT I would have fun with.........then also maybe a 9.5" .454 to scope. Show me a wheelgun that can reach out and touch out to 300 yards and I'm there. :D

I have seen quite a few "lightly used" .500 S&W's..........lots of guys want to have the biggest "sack" at the range, and have this huge hand cannon to show their freinds......then they realize that they paid $1,000 for a gun that's painful to shoot and lost the "cool factor" after 5 rounds :p I was laughing at the posts above because it's so true........gun shop owners are like "This S&W 4" .500 is pretty much new, hell I'll even throw in a box of ammo with only 3 rounds missing!" :p

My 9.5" .44 Mag SRH suddenly became "not enough gun" once I got the urge for a .454. :lol:

I do want a .44 Mag 4" Redhawk BAD though!

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
My 10" Freedom Arms competes with any handgun in the area out to 200 yards and conceals and carries almost as easily as a wheelbarrow. My Alaskan's OK with the FA's favorite moderately recoiling 12 gr. of Unique/300 gr SWC load and retains a remarkable percentage of the load's velocity.

Although we don't have grizzlies, the thoughts of walking in the side door of the barn to discover I'm standing between Mama Blackie and her whimpering twins makes my ugly little Alaskan resemble next year's homecoming queen rather than a safe queen. :D

Your mileage may, of course, vary, but my Alaskan AINT fer sale.

Edited to add:................the Rock?????:lol:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have the alaskan in 454 and a S&W500 4". I want a 480 alaskan and have a 480 srh 7.5" I am seriously concidering cutting down to a alaskan size. I will probably never hunt a bear. But enjoy the big guns. I also have a 475 linebaugh 7.5" in a BFR.

Marine24

Bearcat
Tommy Kelly said:
I have the alaskan in 454 and a S&W500 4". I want a 480 alaskan and have a 480 srh 7.5" I am seriously concidering cutting down to a alaskan size. I will probably never hunt a bear. But enjoy the big guns. I also have a 475 linebaugh 7.5" in a BFR.

That is an impressive big bore collection.

To Stan's point, shooting the Alaskan with full power 454 Casull loads from Buffalo Bore and Doubletap isn't fun for an extended period, but very enjoyable with standard pressure 45 Colt ammo. Unfortunately to get the desired terminal effects, you've got to run some pretty hot loads through its short barrel. Hogue grips do a good job of taming the recoil but the overpressure/blast is significant.

What is hard to beat is the packability of the Alaskan and use as a backup gun. I like my 4" 454 SRH, but a 454 snubbie would be a good addition.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
Bountyhunter said:
Donaldjr1969 said:
Then you probably will not have to wait long to get one that is nearly NIB and very lightly fired. As was the case with the Model 29 to people without too much handgun experience, they will probably fire 1 cylinder of a 454 Alaskan and then, used ones will be plentiful! :lol:

That what one of the sales guys said to me tonight. :lol:

I passed two a few months at a show for $650, NIB, before the movie came out. Hang in there, they'll be $650 again soon.

d.

chris_

Blackhawk
Bountyhunter said:
I broke down and bought the 44 Magnum tonight. If I find a used 454, for a good price, I'll grab it too. :roll: :lol:
Darnit, I was just about to tell you I had one for sale. :lol:

Bountyhunter, "If you cant be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

I wanted either an Alaskan or a 4" Redhawk and then for some reason I didn't like the way the Alaskan felt. I even bought an Alaskan knife just to have with one, but sold it when I decided to go with the Redhawk. I already had the 7 1/2" Redhawk, so guess it made more sense to go with the 4 incher. Especially when I lucked out and bought the one here on the forum that was customized.

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
Bountyhunter, "If you cant be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

I wanted either an Alaskan or a 4" Redhawk and then for some reason I didn't like the way the Alaskan felt. I even bought an Alaskan knife just to have with one, but sold it when I decided to go with the Redhawk. I already had the 7 1/2" Redhawk, so guess it made more sense to go with the 4 incher. Especially when I lucked out and bought the one here on the forum that was customized.

I have a 5.5" blued redhawk and love it. I also really like the customized one you bought! Congrats on a fine revolver. :D

xlch

Bearcat
Will I have a 44, 45/454, and a 480 Five shot Alaskan, a 45 4" Redhawk.
Their are all great …

mohavesam

Hawkeye
AT one time I had a collection of "snubbies" numbering about three dozen or so. Colts, S&W, Ruger, Charter, even Dan Wesson all under 2.5" or so.
I even considered chopping a Redhawk down to thumb-barrel size, but stopped short of that (no pun).

I never understood the SRH Alaskan concept, though. SRH guns are great hunting sidearms, but ethical hunting does not happen with 3" barrels, so I never felt the need.

I am glad there is a following for these mortars. Your wrist, not mine!

Marine24

Bearcat
I would agree that the Alaskan is not a hunting handgun. Definitely could use it for that but ranges would need to be short compared to a longer barrel.

As a defensive handgun, it definitely has a place for the same reasons other snubbies have.

Agree this is not something to shoot full powered 454 Casull loads out of, but just like using 38 Specials at the range in your snubbie 357 Magnum revolver, you can use 45 Colt ammo to become proficient with only a cylinder or two of the 454 loads during each practice session.

As a defensive handgun, it definitely has a place for the same reasons other snubbies have.

Agree this is not something to shoot full powered 454 Casull loads out of,

This is why I personally prefer the .480. The .454 does what it does with high pressure and resulting high velocity. The .480 uses a bullet of a larger diameter. It can go with a heavier bullet at a slower velocity. I was just out shooting mine with 10 grains of Unique under a 325 grain XTP and it wasn't painful to shoot at all. I've shot .357 Magnums that were worse. She's a short and heavy little beast that shows a big wide heavy bullet. The weight and width makes her a bit of a chore to carry around but it also makes shooting her not so bad after all.

I've loaded up some hard cast 410 grain bullets. I'll try those in the next few days.

Gregg