when they let us down

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FOSCRuger

Bearcat
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I enjoy reading what everyone has to say on here.

I felt the need to ask something that has been bothering me for a long time and that is that when I walk into a Gun Shop or Pawn Shop and I ask to see a new gun one that has a "Tag on it that says NEW". Then I ask the person is this gun new and they say yes, after I already knew it was new but didn't appear to be new in my hand when the gun looks like it has shot about 300 rounds threw it or more. The gun is dirty as can be esp. for trying to sell as brand new. By the way this gun was a SR9c and they wanted $450 for it. Which is pricy for this gun after shopping around.
I dont know it just thought this bothers me. This has happened to me a few times. Let me know if I am not the only one out there that feels this way or has had these experiences.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
It's not new if it is dirty in my book. If I can tell it has been shot I might possibly bring it up, might not, I may not have time for the issue at that moment. But, it really is more of an indicator of the honesty of the shop. It might be better to get out of the store and never look back.

One time may be a mistake, but looking around the shop usually tells you a lot about the shop. If the place smells funny, it likely is.

In my travels I have found many more dirty guns at pawn shops rather than gun shops.

Legitimate gripe in my book FOSCRuger.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.

LightningMan

Bearcat
Kind of know what you mean, a pawn shop in my area has unusually high prices as to the reason why, it's because the owner gets his idea of a price based on the listings on gunbroker, go figure. I used to complain about my local Scheels gun prices but after comparing their prices with prices I've been seeing at gun shows, I find that I am asking myself, "why am I going to gunshows?" Example: Scheels price on new Taurus TCP $279 and gunshow prices ranged from $295 up to $395! (Unreal) Anyway I feel your pain, LM.
PS. That tag on it that says "NEW" probably means, "New to them" :roll:

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
FOSCRuger,

Welcome to the forums.

I have only a few gunshops and even fewer pawn shops that I deal with. None of them try this.

Recently one of the gun shops had a pistol that was listed as "used unfired". It looked new and unfired, when asked why they listed it that way, they said, "it was sold once, that makes it used. We know the previous owner and if he says he didn't fire it, he didn't. Hence "used unfired".

I recently bought a used Savage 93r17 from a pawn shop. I looked it over and could not tell that it had been fired, when I asked if it was new they said, "no, it's used".

Find a couple of places that treat you this way and stick with them. I do drop in at new places from time to time, but if I catch them in a lie, I don't go back.

DM

FOSCRuger

Bearcat
Lol well I am glad yall see what I see. I mean I know people are like that and it is just sad that they will sit there right in front of me and lie to my face about a gun. I shouldn't have said gun shop I mean't pawn shop but, I have bought good factory new guns from pawn shops so I don't really like to dog the pawn shops unless a specific one has given itself a bad rep. I am a very vistual detailed person esp. when it comes to guns so I am not the sucker they think theyre getting to buy something. thanks for the responses.

FOSCRuger

Bearcat
Double Maduro,

Yes, sir I understand completely what you are saying about good business is good business basically. I am away from home right now and just wanted to get a look at the sr9 and sr9c. This place was the closest place to go and I would never do business with them after that. Back home there are some pretty honest places. I don't think I have had a situation yet where someone went the extra mile to tell me that a gun was used but never fire and basically was new like in your case. That would be my definition of a truly honest person.

FSCR

Howie

Bearcat
I don't know about how clean any new gun is going to be. They do test fire them at least once at the manufacture. Both Rugers I bought new were pretty dirty when I bought them.

FOSCRuger

Bearcat
Well when I asked to see the sr9c new it was all dirty inside the action and the face of the bolt was covered from where the base of the case sits on it to load around the firing pin and extractor. Then I asked to see the sr9 which was also new I believe and it appeared to be clean. I can understand a test fire of a few round but theres no way this was a test fire. When I buy a gun new I want it to clean as a can be and me not be able to tell it has been fired like it just rolled of the factory line.

Howie

Bearcat
If it's that bad I guess I would wonder too. I just know that even from the factory they are pretty dirty.

FOSCRuger

Bearcat
I understand what you are saying I just have never bought a dirty new gun. I have not purchased a ruger new either so I cannot relate to that but I wouldn't doubt it. If theres something I like getting its shiny new and untouched gun esp. if its expensive it just seems like it should be in its presentation.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
I know the five Rugers I bought new were clean on the outside but they all had dirty barrels from firing that one shot at the factory. Expect the barrel on a new Ruger to look dirty...

waldo1324

Bearcat
well in my opinion, the gun shops are letting all this gun demand go to their heads. and what once was a haven for deals (from what i understand), shows are now more expensive that shops and since the laws of supply and dmand are working against us comsumers.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
waldo1324":1ep24j78 said:
well in my opinion, the gun shops are letting all this gun demand go to their heads. and what once was a haven for deals (from what i understand), shows are now more expensive that shops and since the laws of supply and dmand are working against us comsumers.
The owner of my local shop told me this: They're already selling guns as cheaply as they can in the store, usually as low as $20 over cost. When they go to a show they have to hire a couple of extra people, feed them, pay for the table space at the show, and do all the transporting. They can't jack their prices up for the show, due to competition. So the shows have become almost a loss leader for them. If they don't sell a lot of guns they barely cover their expenses.

I've never found a screaming deal at a show, but I have found plenty of guns that my local shops don't stock, so I can get my paws on them at least.

From the OP; That's another reason I don't like pawn shops. (That, and making money off of others' misfortune, but I digress...)

-- Sam

waldo1324

Bearcat
ah- well that makes sense. i didnt know it was in the $20 range of profit.
all told- i just like to go to the gun shows to talk to people and mull around.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
LightningMan":1rkijzv9 said:
Kind of know what you mean, a pawn shop in my area has unusually high prices as to the reason why, it's because the owner gets his idea of a price based on the listings on gunbroker, go figure. I used to complain about my local Scheels gun prices but after comparing their prices with prices I've been seeing at gun shows, I find that I am asking myself, "why am I going to gunshows?" Example: Scheels price on new Taurus TCP $279 and gunshow prices ranged from $295 up to $395! (Unreal) Anyway I feel your pain, LM.
PS. That tag on it that says "NEW" probably means, "New to them" :roll:

I agree, I used to go to the shows with a pocket of cash and find more deals than I had money.
The last show I went to (Jan. or Feb.), everything was higher than I could buy local, totally opposite from what it used to be.
At one time, if you were looking for something, you WOULD find it at a show, now it seems as though it is the same old stuff, no Automags, Wildeys, etc.
Ammo is about the best buy I found at the show.
There used to be engravers, gunsmiths, etc that would come to the shows, not any more.
What was once a great weekend out is now just boring and a waste of money just to walk in (about $10 now)

Paine

Bearcat
Just my two cents, but at the shop I go to they keep the guns they test fire in the case so when everyone is dry firing them a million times and getting they're dirty fingers all over them, they aren't doing it to a gun they intend to sell to someone. It's actually kind of nice because they guys at the shop can actually tell you what the gun is like. I guess I'm lucky and those guys always tell people when the case gun is the only one they have left so they know it's been test fired in the shop. Some people just have to have it right now I guess. I've been told it's sold as new because it's never actually been owned by someone although it has been fired. I'm told there's a difference. Not to sure about that, but if you look at it like a car, it's been driven before you buy it new and you still pay for a new car not a used. Not sayin I like it, just passin on what I've seen and heard.

-P