WHEN MEN WERE MEN.....!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
3C40D52B-54C2-40C4-A623-F8CF5E145E30.png

dannyd

Hunter
My grandma was a "Daughter of the Confederacy" and every time someone would being up her dad (my G grandpa) she would roll her eyes.

Those people were just like the rest of us. ;)

One of the things I like about visiting the home town of my husband's side of the family, small town perhaps 200, is that every Memorial Day they put out small hand held flags on the graves of veterans. Naturally it is a sea of United States flags, but also you see a fair number of the Stars and Bars of the Confederacy for the veterans of the War Between the States and a sprinkling of Texas flags for those that were in the Revolution from Mexico. It is ironic with how many now if you showed them a Stars and Bars flags how many would look and wonder what it is...

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
My grandma was a "Daughter of the Confederacy" and every time someone would being up her dad (my G grandpa) she would roll her eyes.

Those people were just like the rest of us. ;)
ANOTHER PAIR OF HERO'S......!

Attachments

• AA93759F-1EF3-4871-89C8-F890D2825C2C.png
    AA93759F-1EF3-4871-89C8-F890D2825C2C.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 4ECC2201-5ACA-414D-BF12-6EDFC290046A_4_5005_c.jpeg
    4ECC2201-5ACA-414D-BF12-6EDFC290046A_4_5005_c.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 54

mistermills357

Blackhawk
One of the things I like about visiting the home town of my husband's side of the family, small town perhaps 200, is that every Memorial Day they put out small hand held flags on the graves of veterans. Naturally it is a sea of United States flags, but also you see a fair number of the Stars and Bars of the Confederacy for the veterans of the War Between the States and a sprinkling of Texas flags for those that were in the Revolution from Mexico. It is ironic with how many now if you showed them a Stars and Bars flags how many would look and wonder what it is...
They don't know what the Confederate flag is: but they don't recognize the German or Russian or Chinese either, because they are not literate.
Ask someone to define literate, and they will say that it means the ability to read. And it does mean that.

But it's first definition means to be educated, or cultured. There aren't enough people who are widely educated these days. For instance they should know who General Lee was, but they should also know who Stonewall Jackson was.

And they should know who General Sherman was, IMO.
BTW: I am no fan of the Confederacy, but at least I know what it is.

And around here, some people put out flags in graveyards on Memorial Day, but they are always American ones.

Last edited:

Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was a very interesting man, with an extraordinary amount of self discipline. He once said, "I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it."

Most folks today would likely take the opposite approach!
:)

Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was a very interesting man, with an extraordinary amount of self discipline. He once said, "I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it."

Most folks today would likely take the opposite approach!
:)
Wild Turkey 101 straight is my preference. :)

rex1,, I'm a Phillips myself. :D

Wendy,, WT 101 straight up is a serious drink. I bet I know of a few folks home brew that would rival WT in the taste & smoothness dept. :D

That sounds like some of my Cajun kin from Louisiana and some of the things in the bayou areas they frequent. I will admit that they don't care to pay taxes on certain things. My husband and I were married for a year before they invited him to go off with them, and they already liked what they heard about him and how he handled three would be murders back decades ago.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Both those guy's would have corrected you for saying that about them.

They were just regular people like you or I with all the problems we have today.
Hi,

As far as I can tell, those in my family who fought in that war wore blue. Even so, it bothers me to see the Confederate flags and the statues coming down: that old adage about ignoring the lessons of history dooms us to repeat it. But just for little trivia things, what did Grant and Lee share in common? They both went to West Point... most everybody should get that one.

But more important was that BOTH men were fighting for THEIR country! How many people heard that mentioned in their history classes?

Rick C

dannyd

Hunter
Hi,

As far as I can tell, those in my family who fought in that war wore blue. Even so, it bothers me to see the Confederate flags and the statues coming down: that old adage about ignoring the lessons of history dooms us to repeat it. But just for little trivia things, what did Grant and Lee share in common? They both went to West Point... most everybody should get that one.

But more important was that BOTH men were fighting for THEIR country! How many people heard that mentioned in their history classes?

Rick C
There coming down unfortunately because the southern people after World War 2 decided to take a Flag and image's that was not their's and use it for political purposes.

General Lee was Number 2 in his class and that's when the course's were mostly in French.

Danny

Single-Sixer
When I saw the title, I thought it must be talking about the Series "Mad Men", aka "get me my coffee, B itch".

Danny

Last edited:
They don't know what the Confederate flag is: but they don't recognize the German or Russian or Chinese either, because they are not literate.
Ask someone to define literate, and they will say that it means the ability to read. And it does mean that.

But it's first definition means to be educated, or cultured. There aren't enough people who are widely educated these days. For instance they should know who General Lee was, but they should also know who Stonewall Jackson was.

And they should know who General Sherman was, IMO.
BTW: I am no fan of the Confederacy, but at least I know what it is.

And around here, some people put out flags in graveyards on Memorial Day, but they are always American ones.
From your post "Ask someone to define literate, and they will say that it means the ability to read. And it does mean that."
You are correct. Unfortunately- and this is a surprise to most- Based on this definition, the illiteracy rate in the United States is near 70% ( or little lower, depending on which national survey you read).