When did all the Lever Action Rifles get so expensive ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I do remember the Egyptian Helwan.....looked like a poor version of a Beretta..... but I'm sure they still sold a ton of them

Star43

Buckeye
I do remember the Egyptian Helwan.....looked like a poor version of a Beretta..... but I'm sure they still sold a ton of them
The early military version for the Egyptian army were well made. Don't forget, the Italians were there with them as they were made under license. The later ones after the Italians left were sold "commercially" and especially when they started calling it the "improved Cadet version", then, the quality went south. I have one of the early ones, and it is very good and accurate. The later versions, as you say are " poor versions" , you are pretty much correct. The quality went down, and it was pretty much "hit or miss" with each gun made.......mostly miss ......IMHO.

Back in 2009 I bought a Rossi 92 in .44 magnum for $400. I loved it, except for the curved metal butt plate!!! The only gun I have owned that bruised my shoulder. I had to change out the sights. After that, it shot dead on. During a financial dry spell I sold it. HENRY's have NEVER been something I have considered buying secondary to no side ejection, or side loading.
gramps

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
Haven't read all of the posts in this thread.

During thr pandemic and all the talk about limiting ARs there was a rush from people to get the next best rapid fire rifle, levers.

A friend has a gun shop and he was seeing and hearing this and began putting in orders to all his suppliers. At one time he had over a 1,000 on order but orders were not being filled. They were in small supply and very high demand.

The trend set prices higher along with several other factors. Levers are pretty labor intensive to make and this is where we are at.

cleg

Bearcat
Kick myself 3 yrs ago or so found 2 original Marlins, one in 45-70, and .444. At that time price tag was $1200 each. My attitude was that's insane. Fast forward about 6months ago. Marlin 336 stainless, Absolute beautiful condition. Sitting in safe at outrageous price of 1400. I know I paid to much, but also knew leveractions on gunbroker were going for over 2k. Price wasn't going down so I bought it. Would like to get win 94 to along as part of collection.

Star43

Buckeye
Haven't read all of the posts in this thread.

During thr pandemic and all the talk about limiting ARs there was a rush from people to get the next best rapid fire rifle, levers.

A friend has a gun shop and he was seeing and hearing this and began putting in orders to all his suppliers. At one time he had over a 1,000 on order but orders were not being filled. They were in small supply and very high demand.

The trend set prices higher along with several other factors. Levers are pretty labor intensive to make and this is where we are at.
I think you are right. The trend was set. Orders are made and not delivered, setting up the old supply and demand routine, meaning prices sky rocket. I always loved lever actions. I can still see John Wayne firing his '92. That, they say, was his favorite model. Speaking of the '92, my neighbor freinds has a Rossi '92 compact carbine and it is very well made and the fit and finish is terrific.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Define expensive.

By my definition, the answer to your simple question is 2002.
And quoting myself...y'all are dumb paying $2000 for some Remlin stainless who cares whatever. It's not really worth that much. It's not. Unless you buy one to flip, then maybe it's worth it ... but you better guess correctly.

I have Alway been a lever action fan. Most of mine are Marlins. Just a few Winchester in the mix.

Just picked up a Marlin 1894 44 mag. Very nice fit, finish and action

Attachments

• IMG_6006.jpeg
    IMG_6006.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 39

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
When did they get expensive ?????
Bout the same time a pickup hit 60 thousand , a 1200 SF basic house hit 400 thousand and a hamburger at a restaurant hit 10 bucks.
Brother, it's got less to do with price of labor and materials than it does with your rapidly crashing dollar.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I've been looking at used 30-30's. In the pre-Ruger age Marlin's, what would a man be looking for? I know I'm not into a Rem made...
First thing is get familiar with the gun and how it functions. This is important because,,,,,,,You have to evaluate each individual gun on its own merits.
Secondly, don't completely write off the REM made guns. Sure they made some bad ones but over the years Marlin made some losers too.
I have seen plenty of the Remington made guns that are well made and capable and have sold some JM made guns that were junk.
If You can lay hands on well-made Remlin it will be a lot more affordable than a well-worn JM Marlin.

Star43

Buckeye
When did they get expensive ?????
Bout the same time a pickup hit 60 thousand , a 1200 SF basic house hit 400 thousand and a hamburger at a restaurant hit 10 bucks.
Brother, it's got less to do with price of labor and materials than it does with your rapidly crashing dollar.
Everyone, please read his last sentence, as that pretty much, sums it all up.