What's the Best 9mm 1911 for under $800... or so?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
They say it's a full sized 41oz gun that holds just 9 rounds in 9mm?? Whats up with that??

Other then that looks nice but I'm not sure about the large lumpy hook hanging off the backstrap area near thumb...looks a bit uncomfortable.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=22

DSC07093.jpg

First .... it's a 1911 ... so it's only gonna be a single stack (even in 9MM) .... true 1911's aren't going to be a high cap pistol ... although you CAN get high cap 1911's (in most calibers) .... but they have a significantly wider grip, which means you lose the 1911 'feel'. If you want a 1911 ... you probably want a single stack 1911. Most of the love for 1911's is in the ergonomics (the feel), the trigger, and the accuracy. I would VERY highly recommend that if you're considering getting a 1911 ... that you TRY SOME OUT before deciding on a single or double stack 1911.

You'll never even notice that grip safety ... it pushes in when you grip the gun .... although I do like the standard grip safety rather than the 'memory bump' grip safety that you see on the pics.

As nice as that gun is (and I REALLY REALLY LOVE THAT GUN) ... three things I REALLY don't like are the grip safety (which includes the beavertail), the ambidextrous safety, and the front slide serrations. Those three things are the main reasons that I haven't bought that gun (yet), and why I'm now looking at the RIA GI 9MM priced at about $360. Most people WANT those features though.

OK .... Four things .... the key lock in the MSH ....

REV

Atec

Bearcat
Verndog said:
Anybody know much about the CZ 75B. Looks perfect for what I'm looking for... AND around $500.00....what's the catch???

pastedgraphic-28.gif

21609.jpg

Just ordered the CZ75B limited Edition . I wont get it for a week or so. I talked to Rev and he said it is one nice 9mm. We will soon find out !

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i was looking for the same criteria you are, and somehow ended up getting a plain jane new production beretta 92f. even stranger is that i love the thing. i shoot it accurately and it is dead reliable.

of the choices mentioned here, the CZ 75 is your best bet. just quit fretting and go for it.

Verndog

Blackhawk
rugerlovah said:
i was looking for the same criteria you are, and somehow ended up getting a plain jane new production beretta 92f. even stranger is that i love the thing. i shoot it accurately and it is dead reliable.

of the choices mentioned here, the CZ 75 is your best bet. just quit fretting and go for it.

I'll check out that model too, thanks for the heads up to all! I'm not fretting, I have only 1 gun per year allocation (self allocated to keep peace at home) and I want to make it count, the research and respected opinions will help me narrow it down. Some models will be difficult to impossible to locate and shoot prior to purchase so homework is required. :wink:

Update:--I like...
That looks like something I'd be interested in also. 15 rounds, $650.00 range, 34 oz SS. It's on now on the list to find and check out also.
1 question on that barrel. Why does it need to stick out of the slide a good 1/2"++?? Looks a bit gay (happy) to me.

Beretta%2092%20Inox.jpg

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I have a Beretta 96 which is a .40 Cal. instead of the 9mm. It looks exactly like the one in your photo. Don't know why the barrel sticks out like that, or if there is a functional reason for it. I think it's just the way they designed it. It's not a 1911! It is much easier to field strip than a 1911 if that makes any difference to you. All of the gun models are great choices that you are considering.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Atec said:
Verndog said:
Anybody know much about the CZ 75B. Looks perfect for what I'm looking for... AND around $500.00....what's the catch???

pastedgraphic-28.gif

21609.jpg

Just ordered the CZ75B limited Edition . I wont get it for a week or so. I talked to Rev and he said it is one nice 9mm. We will soon find out !

AIA has the same stainless 75B as well.

REV

Atec

Bearcat
[/quote]

REV[/quote]

Okay Rev ? Who Is AIA ? Did you mean RIA ?

revhigh

Hawkeye

REV[/quote]

Okay Rev ? Who Is AIA ? Did you mean RIA ?[/quote]

LOL !!!

Sorry ....AIA = ArmedinAZ ... a well-known user here !!

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
You have to put one of these in your hand to appreciate it. I could live without the ambi safety on the stainless pistol but it's not a deal killer. Since I don't carry it I installed a lighter hammer spring to lighten the trigger some.

SS75B2.jpg

I haven't been shooting the 75B much lately because this other CZ has my interest. I've shot some 1/4" 5 shot groups with it @ 50 yards. Going silhouette shooting soon.

Style1.jpg

Atec

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
You have to put one of these in your hand to appreciate it. I could live without the ambi safety on the stainless pistol but it's not a deal killer. Since I don't carry it I installed a lighter hammer spring to lighten the trigger some.

SS75B2.jpg

I haven't been shooting the 75B much lately because this other CZ has my interest. I've shot some 1/4" 5 shot groups with it @ 50 yards. Going silhouette shooting soon.

Style1.jpg

Well i just got the tracking number for the cz75b limited edition . I think i may have been foolish to spend the extra money on it compared to the all mat model . But According to what I have researched it comes with night sights, matched barrel , and supposed triger work . Not sure if that is true. But the sites would cost 90.00 the cheapest I have seen them . I just wish it came with the wood grips instead of rubber.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Atec said:
Well i just got the tracking number for the cz75b limited edition . I think i may have been foolish to spend the extra money on it compared to the all mat model . But According to what I have researched it comes with night sights, matched barrel , and supposed triger work . Not sure if that is true. But the sites would cost 90.00 the cheapest I have seen them . I just wish it came with the wood grips instead of rubber.

Atec, can you explain the limited edition differences in "appearance"? Is that the polished stainless version? I prefer the polished version simply because if scratched you can rub out and polish to match and the matte finish hand work is easily detected, plus IMO it looks better. I've looked around and that model is out of stock pretty much everywhere.

Also, be sure to let us know how you like it after you get a chance to break it in. 8)

Atec

Bearcat
I will pm you with some information. And one other thing I have never ordered a firearm in my life without trying it out for fit and feel . This will be the first one ! As well as the Sr1911. But I may be 100 years old before that one ever comes in ! lol

revhigh

Hawkeye
Atec said:
I just wish it came with the wood grips instead of rubber.

Trust me ... those are some of the best grips you will ever use. They are soft and tacky ... absolutely PERFECT. You'll see ....

REV

Atec

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Atec said:
I just wish it came with the wood grips instead of rubber.

Trust me ... those are some of the best grips you will ever use. They are soft and tacky ... absolutely PERFECT. You'll see ....

REV

Well thats good to know . Thanks Rev. I was hoping it was not a hard rubber grip .

Verndog

Blackhawk
CZ 75B Owners Question.

I see an option on 1 model that calls for an Extended Mag Catch. Can someone explain just what this is and does? Is that the lip that hangs out the end of the mag toward barrel?? Not sure of what benefits this may have.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not sure VD .... I'd think it would have something to do with the mag release itself.

REV

The Wall

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Not sure VD .... I'd think it would have something to do with the mag release itself.

REV
Is that another term for magazine release? I bet we are right. :lol: If it is the purpose is to either make it easier to find and actuate the release, or it is something to get in your way and hang up on holsters. :)

Verndog

Blackhawk
Just in from the CZ_Whizz expert... :)
Cheesewhiz said:
That's an extended magazine release button, it comes standard on SP-01's and some other models but is an option on stock CZ75's. It's no big deal as you can get one later if you want, they're easy to change.

Not really something I want, just asking for trouble IMO...unless I decide to shoot comp. one day then possibly.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the help guys, I went to the range today and checked out the CZ 75B along with several other guns and must say...the CZ is the one. It was a used one so I got to dry fire a couple time, all the controls are well layed out, trigger smooth and predictable, and great build quality. The nail in the coffin was the range officer going on and on about how great his was, he showed me a few 5 shot 1 large hole group pics, and guaranteed I would not be disappointed in shooting it. It fit the hand well, and felt very nice.

Long story short, the 1 I want is on backorder, so I ordered it thru czcustom.com. today. They said early March (I want the polished stainless version), I'm good with waiting to get exactly what I want, and will have more income tax $$ around then anyway...(still recovering from xmas spending).

Here is a pic of the model I have on order. :D

cz2.jpg