What's the 5" plan?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Condor1970

Bearcat
So, what's the plan for Ruger to keep making the 5" GP100?

I've wanted a GP100 for over a decade, so I finally broke down and bought one.

Gotta admit, it would be neat for this one to turn out being a collector someday. As it is now, the market is flooded with them, mainly in 4 & 6 inchers. GP100 and 686 truly own this category. There's both roughly 300 of each on Gunbroker any given day.

Hearing the scuttlebutt that 2013 may have been the last year for the 5" dealer specials, I can't help but wonder if this is true, or are they going to keep making them?

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
It's my understanding that the 5" is an exclusive for Davidson's. These exclusives are ordered in lots from Ruger and Davidson's is the only one who can sell them. I'm going to assume that the contract for the exclusive runs for a period of time when it runs out that Ruger has the ability to make it a regular catalog item. These 5" GP's have been around for several years now. so not particularly rare, but nowhere near the numbers as the 4's and 6's.

I have a 4" and the 5" and love them both. That 5" is a little special though.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
It's really hard to say, they are very different and each is wonderful. My 4" is a fixed sight, short lug with the small factory grip with the SP inserts. The 5" has the factory Hogue's and obviously the full lug barrel so they are totally different animals.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have previously owned both the 4 in and 6 in barrel GP100 revolvers, and currently own a 5 in bbl model. The 5 incher is a good compromise. I really like the slightly heavier muzzle of the 5 inch model, but the 4 incher is little handier for carry. I personally have not heard any rumors of Ruger stopping production of the 5 incher for Davidson's.