What's it worth these days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger77shooter

Bearcat
Received a call 2 days ago from my friend who owns a small pawn shop. That's always good news as he knows the kind of stuff I look for. I have gotten some nice firearms from him and he always treats me good. But I was not prepared for what he started describing...a 77 in 30/06 with sights with a bicentennial barrel. Except it was a little different because it had a regular scope mount on it and he had never seen anything like it. I tried to contain my excitement as I told him that he had an old round top. I haven't had a chance to drive over yet to look at it, but hopefully will next week. He has put it back for me and it will soon be mine. Don't know condition yet, but he didn't say it was beat to heck and back, even though in my part of the country I suspect it has been hunted...hopefully not TOO hard.

Question-what is the price range on the Ruger ST? I realize that the 30/06 will probably be the most plentiful, but that's okay with me as I probably won't have another chance to get one. I still regret that 35+/- yrs. ago I saw the only hollowbolt I have ever seen in person at a gun show (in my favorite caliber, 25/06) that I didn't buy it. I already had a 77 in that caliber and never thought about how collectible Rugers would be someday. So I don't want to let this opportunity pass.

contender

Ruger Guru
If it has been drilled & tapped for regular mounts,,, likely done after it left the factory. To my knowledge,,, I doubt any were done by the factory that way. But it was common for a gunsmith to do it to guns. And for a "Liberty" (1976) gun to bring any kind of premium,,, it'd have to be ANIB, and in a rarer configuration. All guns made in 1976 were marked with the Liberty rollmarking.

pete44ru

Hunter
contender said:
If it has been drilled & tapped for regular mounts,,, likely done after it left the factory. To my knowledge,,, I doubt any were done by the factory that way.

FYI: Ruger made the tang safety Model 77-ST with iron sights & the Model 77-PL w/o iron sights in the late 1970's, which are referred to as the "round top" models because instead of the integral Ruger receiver dovetail scope mount bases, the smooth receiver tops were D/T for the same bases that also fit the Remington 700.

IIRC, the reasoning behind the ST/PL was that Ruger wanted to attract buyers that didn't want to be limited to using Ruger rings (or later Burris/Ruger, etc, etc clone rings), and/or preferred turn-off type QD rings (ala Redfield, Leupold, etc).

Ruger77shooter

Bearcat
Thanks, Gentlemen. I had thought that I had read that Ruger shipped some with factory sights AND drilled and tapped for regular scope mounts. So I appreciate the clarification.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I agree with pete44u. :mrgreen: Keep in mind the Round Top was only available in the Long action - no short actions. I had a Flatbolt ST in 7 Mag once and I've seen Hollow Bolts. The ST was made in the Round Bolt also. The PL was never cataloged and was given as a prize to dealers who sold a certain number of Ruger guns. To answer your question - in my part of the country - an ST in 30-06 200th Year in excellent condition would be about $450.

Ruger77shooter

Bearcat
LOL...no problem, Contender. I have no right to cast a stone. Thanks again for all the information. Hopefully I can get over there this week to look at it and see exactly what it is.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I OWN A 77 ST IN SN 70-46XXX 257 ROBERTS 24" HEAVY TAPER BARREL ROUND BOLT. EARLY AND UNCOMMON VARIETY BUILT IN SAME SN RANGE AS SOME LATE FLAT BOLTS. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT WBR HAD THIS SIGHTED NON RUGER RING VARIANT BUILT TO COMPETE WITH THE REMINGTON MODEL 700.......... :?:

Ruger77shooter

Bearcat
Hawkeye-sweet caliber. I have a later tang safety in the Roberts (3 digit prefix). Have it sighted in and ready for WT season. Hope to get it bloodied this year. Thanks for sharing!