What's a Good Deal on a USED BlackHwak in 45C??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nalapombu

Bearcat
Hey all,

I have a project that I have in mind that I have wanted for a while. I'd love to get a Blackhawk and send it to Andy Horvath and have him do one of his LITTLE RUGER conversions on it. I have not got deep enough into it to decide on whether it would be best to get a 45C or a 44special.

So, I'd like to start saving up to make this project happen sooner than later. I'd like to know what kind of money it would take to get a decent, USED Blackhawk. The barrel length wouldn't matter much since it is going to be cut back to 4 inches when it gets done with the work. The finish would be better in stainless, but that isn't a big deal either. In fact, I wouldn't mind having a blued wheelgun or even a 2 tone finish to it.
Is there a big difference in prices between the 45C or 44special?

I don't know what caliber would be ideal as I would be using it as a sidearm for when I go bowhunting down here in Texas for Feral Hogs. I would also have it on me when I go fishing, woods bumming or camping. Basically anything I would be doing in the woods. If you have suggestions as to what caliber would be better, please let me know and why.
When all this happens, I plan on starting to reload so that I won't have to worry about ammo costs or availability to be able to shoot when I want to.

Thanks for the help and information.

Nalajr

contender

Ruger Guru
I would opt for the 45 Colt. Many more options when you get to reloading it. As for cost,, shop around, and you can find a NM for under $500 occasionally.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
I'd go for the .45 myself. You can always add another cylinder for .45 acp and increase the versatility of your custom package, not to mention upping the "oooh, ahhh" factor.

BearBio

Buckeye
I'm in almost the same situation except I'm gonna go with Gary Reeder. While I've chosen a 454 for myself, I will have him also build a 45 Colt for my better half.
Where I play, we have a possibility of grizzlies. I currently load"Ruger Only loads" in an OM Blackhawk or original Vaquero. I will do that for my wife (who currently carries a 41 mag Blackhawk).

While in grad school, I guided on feral hogs in central California where they have a good amount of European boar bloodlines still present. I generally carried a 45 long Colt Blackhawk (New Model) or a 41 maggie (better penetration than a 44 maggie).

For my purposes, both then and now, I would recommend the 45 as much better than the 44 special (I do have both, in several iterations). You don't appear to need big bear protection (unless you travel somewhere else). From what I've seen of Texas hogs, they are smaller than the ones in Cali. So, a hot load in a 45 should be plenty for anything you need. If using factory loads, both will be pricey but the 45 will likely be a little cheaper.

Oh, I've been pricing Super Blackhawks==I have someone who wants to do a partial trade and I need to figure out what value to set on his gun. Check Gunbroker and look at the ones THAT HAVE BIDS==that way you can see what people are willing to pay and not what people are asking. A 45 Blackhawk will likely be in the $400 to $500 range; lower in lesser quality condition. A reasonably worn Blackhawk should be in the $300-$400 range.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I keep my eye more on .45LC more, but $400-$500 should get you a very nice one that has not been shot much.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
Holler at gunsbam69. He sometimes has new 45 stnls models I the $500 range.

Sapo

btlbrn

Bearcat
When asked why the ranger carried a .45, he replied " 'cause nobody makes a .46................I agree that .45 colt is a little easier to find and probably a little cheaper,and a little more powerful.....just my $.02 :D :D

375supermag

Blackhawk
Lee Martin said:
I've seen used 45 Blackhawks for low $400's in blue. Stainless tends to push the price to $450 - $500.

If I could find a used blued .45Colt BlackHawk at that price around here, I would have it. I need one with a 4-5/8" barrel.
I would also like a stainless .45Colt original Vaquero with a 7-1/2" barrel. Haven't seen one of those for sale around here in years.