What kind of groups are you getting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I have an SR1911 in .45 ACP and I am wondering what kind of groups other owners are getting. The best I have gotten so far are with 200 gr. Berry bullets over 8 grs of Longshot. That load is averaging about 4.25" at 25 yards, shooting sitting with my wrists resting on my knees.

everything else seems to average around 5" at the same distance.

I would be interested in what kind of luck you guys are having.

barrycarraway

Bearcat
that's strange. i have an old P 97 .45 and shoot factory ammo at about 2.5 to 3 inches at 25 yards. I would try some different factory ammo to start to see what the gun likes. Each gun is different.
Barry

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Both my 5" SR1911 and the CMD will do ~2" @ 25 yds with Missouri Bullet Co's 200 gr LSWC and ~ 5.0+ gr of Win 231. Issue sights and the sun behind me...Rod

dakota1911

Buckeye
It varies like most mass produced 1911 variants do in this price range. I bought two SR1911s in the fall of 2012. One will do 2 inch groups at 25 yards over bags and the other did just under 3 inch at 25 yards over bags. This is with Win white box and the average of five 5 shot groups. I put Wings grips on the nicer one.

The less nice one I loaned out to friends who had never shot a 1911 and wanted to try one. Finally sold it last year to a friend who had shot it a lot.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
My Ruger 1911 Commemerative will knock down 50meter Field pistol sillywetpigs all day long with dead-center hits using 200gr SWC handloads, 230grRNL handloads, and just about any 230ball ammunition. Even more omportently, it'll shoot damn fine groups with the fired brass !!! Pick 'em up ALL in one place, God bless WBR !!!
And so it goes...

bigboredad

Blackhawk
They are pure super soft lead we with a very thin coat playing. Coated bullets would be cheaper and perform much better

bigboredad

Blackhawk
That sounds like it should be a good load. Being a poor white boy with a incurable disease casting works best for me ymmv

DGW1949

Hunter
First thing I'd do is pick up a good brand of factory Match Ammo in both the light weight and 230 Grn varieties, and use the results as a base line to work towards while keeping to the factory's choice of bullet design/material as closely as possible.
My point there being that the bullets used in factory produced .45ACP Match Ammo haven't changed all that much over the years, mostly because what has always worked, still works. Plus, if ya don't know for sure what the gun is capable of while using a known-accurate cartridge, you're just stabbing around in the dark by trying to make stuff up as you go along.

If that don't sound like anything you want to do, my next suggestion would be to get ahold of one of the techs at Sierra, get their input on the matter and go from there...I got's a dollar that say's nothing they suggest has anything to do with a thinly plated soft-swaged bullet...just sayin'.

DGW