What is your favorite family of powders.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What is your favorite family of powders.

• ACCURATE

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • RAMSHOT

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • ALLIANT

Votes: 87 68.5%
  • HODGDON

Votes: 80 63.0%
  • IMR

Votes: 54 42.5%
  • WINCHESTER

Votes: 47 37.0%
  • VIHTAVOIURI

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • NORMA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ADI

• TUBAL

• Total voters

DGW1949

Hunter
I grew up with Hercules (now Alliant) and IMR powders.
Tried a few others, but never found a real reason to change.

Aint saying that there might not be something better these days, just sayin'.

DGW

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Honestly, as someone who started with Bullseye, Unique, and 2400, I learned over the years that there are often many more preferrable powder choices, based on specific application.

I choose powders for their specific applications, and cover general loading with again, many preferrable choices.
Like Universal.
And Power Pistol.
And W231.
And 3N37.
And WSL.
And WAP.
And many others (hint: AA9..... 8) )

GP100man

Buckeye
Good thread Jimbo357mag

As most I`m a Hodgdon guy ,especially after aquiring the companies/name brands they have.
BUT ,I`m an experimenter & enjoy workin up new loads & even facing failure at times !

I`m limited to what I`m gonna purchase because I`m NOT paying HAZMAT fees unnessacarily, & local GS & even shows seem to limit there choices, so mine are limited .

Mostly around here is the Hodgdon line & maybe a stray can of VV.
I thought about some of the REX powder (HAXMAT FEEs)but stuttered at the key board until it was all gone!

BUT , most reloaders won`t believe me when I say boolit style/fit & depth affect accuracy more than the fuel suppling the pressure. NOW hold on, I`m not saying it has NO affect ,just that it has less affect than the fore mentioned.

Sorry Jimbo if this hijacks your poll !

GP100man

Buckeye
Jimbo ,bet it`d be hard to say in these times as people buyin everything/anything that`s on the shelves seems like , then worrying if it`ll work for a given caliber !!??

Found a gunshop today (while at a doctors appt.) that had ANY IMR powder you`d want at get this ---------

$42.50@lb.!!! No wonder !!

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Well, I use Winchester for handgun loads like 41 mag, 45 acp, 9mm, jacketed loads. My rifle handloads I use IMR for 25-06, 270 Win, 243. My cast loads I use Alliant powder such as 2400 & Unique. I have over the years worked up many, many loads, and have documented ALL my loads. Whatever works! bhk

I have limited reqirements, all for handgun "informal" shooting.

I "voted" Alliant.

All my requirements are met by Unique and Green Dot, with occasional, infrequent applications of Bullseye, 2400, Trail Boss, and, rarely, H-110.

Yep, I'm quite dull.

:wink: :lol: :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
I have limited reqirements, all for handgun "informal" shooting.

I "voted" Alliant.

All my requirements are met by Unique and Green Dot, with occasional, infrequent applications of Bullseye, 2400, Trail Boss, and, rarely, H-110.

Yep, I'm quite dull.

:wink: :lol: :wink:
No, not at all. DULL is having only one powder and even that is not the worst thing in the world.

Having more than one powder handy is like being married with a mistress on the side. :D :D

JC676

Bearcat
i'm late to the party here, but my favorite family of powder is easily Accurate. As a handgun reloader, their powders (2, 5, 7 and 9) cover any and all applications I could ever need. In addition, they flow through a powder measure like water, burn clean and are accurate. I developed a .44 Special load with a 240 gr SWC and #5 that produced a Standard Deviation of 3.1! I've never had a single digit SD in a handgun cartridge before. On top of that, I had occasion to contact Western Powder Co. and I received the best help (and friendly) from a gentleman named Rob that one could ever hope for.

If anyone is on the fence about trying Accurate powders, please do yourself a favor and do so. You won't be sorry/

Regards,
Jon

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I just re-read the whole thread and saw how many guys "grew up" with such and such powder. I hope I live long enough to say what powder I grew up with. Probably not though, I probably waited too long :cry:

JD

but I'm still growing up :D

Dan in MI

Staff member
3 of the top 4 have covered a majority of my needs since 1983. Then again, I haven't bought much powder since about 2000. It helps when you buy 30+ pounds at a time when you run out of a particular lot. :lol:

I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I once did, and the current prices scare the life out of me. :shock:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
These days you take what you can get! If there is an upside to the shortage, it is that some of us are trying new combinations outside of the "comfort zone" of tried and true favorite loads...

Kinda fun actually! 8)

Dan in MI

Staff member
Bucks Owin said:
These days you take what you can get! If there is an upside to the shortage, it is that some of us are trying new combinations outside of the "comfort zone" of tried and true favorite loads...

Kinda fun actually! 8)

Good for you Bucks. I used to love playing outside the lines (still do, just haven't done it much lately) I can remember getting just HAMMERED for even suggesting such a thing here. I countered with all the old timers we look up to that did just that P.O. Ackley, Ken Waters, even the hallowed Elmer Keith. If you don't have people willing to experiment you don't get any new innovations.