What is wrong with the P95?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

riley

Bearcat
No problem here just operator error.
First time out I had problems but came to find out I just had it to dry. I lubed my p95 and the next time out it worked fine.

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
RugerShooter":1hq5b14l said:
I have aleady posted this, but I was having tons of fte's and ftf's with my P95(brand new out of box) and after putting it in ths closet out of disgust for a couple of months i finally called Ruger and sent it in. They had to replace the ejector and the extractor(excuse me if I did not call these by the correct name) and now that I have it back I put two magazines thru it and it worked ok and then it went back in the closet. The gun is brand new, but after all the problems and lousy trips to the range I now have a bad feeling about the gun. I don't want to shoot it anymore. I have no confidence it will go bang when I pull the trigger. So, now I will probably trade it in at a loss.

So now that it is repaired you put 2 mags through it and quit? Do you do this with all machinery that needs a repair or adjustment?
Take it out and shoot the brains out of it and see if it holds up!

snakespit

Bearcat
I have had my P95 for about a year and a half. The reason I bought it was from the advice from other posters here. 279.00 with a 13.00 dollar transfer from CDNN. I had one or two FTF the first time out with it, limp wristing. Other than that it has been great. At least 1200 rounds or more of a mix of ammo. Zero problems of any kind. From 10 yards or so I can make a clean sweep of 5 of those 8" falling plates. The P95 is an all around great gun.

Clean it, lub it, Shoot the hell out of it. Repeat if desired :)
I think you will agree.

SNAKE

I've had my P95 over a year and shot aprox. 1000 rounds. Had one stove pipe w/in first 75 rounds. Also had FTF when a friend limp wristed it. Other than that perfect! Great gun, and the easiest to clean/maintain out of all the firearms I own. I'd buy another.

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
I've had my P95 about a week and put 250rnds through it. all 115gr ball ammo. It seems to be breaking in. My wife has failures to feed and eject now, not me, so it may of been limpwrisiting. Even tho i have no issues with other guns, neither of us do. The p95 may just be very sensitive to limp wrists.

That said i also have an Uncle Mikes iwb size 16 holster, its a suede material, very thin, very comfy. grips belt and clothing great and draws easily! I LOVE IT. $20 from my local gun store, i think they're $13+tax and shipping on there website.

Also got a cheap n cheerful cleaning kit from wally world.

Bottom line is..... Wasnt to happy with my P95 initially but after 200+ its breaking in, and i feel better.

mafuta54

Bearcat
I have owned a P95DC for 13 years now and have fired close to 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. I really enjoy it! It has fired everything I have put in it.

QB

Single-Sixer
One good thing about Ruger is that they stand behind their product (at least they did with me). My NIB KP95PR15 had failure to extract issues. Ruger sent a prepaid UPS label and had the gun back to me within a couple of weeks, delivered right back to my house. Invoice indicated "Extractor Repaired, 20 rounds fired with no failures".

Worked 100% after that and only thing I was out was my drive to the main UPS hub.

FrankSchaeffer

Bearcat
TFNG's take. ALL production has some degree of product that is not 100%. I have got a case of beer with large chunk of glass in one of the bottles. Got a free case of good beer for that from the company. I have had tv guide that hade one of the staples not closed. I had a pack of smokes that had the paper 1/4 inch off the filters. It happens. My take would be that Ruger got some extractors that were not bent to the proper spec or not hardened right allowing them to bend enough to not pull case out properly. Same could be said for the ejectors. I am not sure of how Ruger does their QC but I am sure they dont check every unit they produce other than simple function and fire. Every product we buy will have some degree of flaw now and again. If the company stands by their product and fixes it then I knock it up to SH!T happens and when it is fixed I got what I paid for and am happy.
Frank

wleoff

Bearcat
I bought a P95 when they first came out as a truck gun. It's shot everything that I put thru it after bouncing around under my truck seat. Since then I've bought two more P95s, three more if the one that I gave to my son is included. They're not for CC, but mine have worked well on camping trips, in boats and vehicles. Mine have fired every time that I've pulled the trigger and that's why I bought them. Really surprised at all the problems on this post.

RugerShooter

Bearcat
Everybody, chill. I did not mean to offend anyone. Ruger makes a fine product, except for the " ONE " that I got. Like most of you have stated, in large productions you are bound to get some pieces that do not work. That being said, because of the problems that I had with " THIS " gun, I no longer like it. Also, if you read the other posts, this does not seem to be an isolated incidence. Also, the lady on the phone at Ruger was very quick to have me send it in. This led me to believe that I was not the first person that she took a phone call from with these same problems. This is now my last post on this subject.

Although I'm not a really high volume shooter, I have NEVER had an issue with the function of my KP95 or PR95. I've used handloaded ammo so light that the brass falls at my feet, lead SWC, steel case, you name it and the only problems I've had were magazine related and darn few of those. Best economical pistol going and better than most high end ones, too.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
With my experience with the P-series---I'd be more inclined to blame problems on a noob/operator error than on the gun.

Cause I've never had a problem with any P-series I've ever owned---we're talking a good 8 or 9 of them over the years---bought my first P90 back 91/92? when they first came out---been so long, I can't even remember exactly. Have a KP95 and looking at getting a second one.

Now the SR9 is another story---any problems there--I'll blame the gun first.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I picked up a lightly used KP95R a few weeks ago. I had a P95 for years and sold it a couple of years back, and have regretted it ever since.

The gun I just got was made in 2008 and looked as though it had barely been fired. It came with the two factory 15rd mags and another 15rd Pro-Mag.

I got it out to the range for the first time yesterday and put about 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it. I was skeptical of the Pro-Mag since I've read so many negative comments about them. The only failure to feed (once) I experienced yesterday was with the Pro-Mag. Otherwise the pistol ran flawlessly. I ran a couple of mags through as fast as I could pull the trigger, and the pistol ran without a hitch.

The gun shot to point-of-aim with everything I put through it. I was shooting steel plates rather than paper targets so I don't know what kind of groups I was getting, but it was plenty accurate enough for my needs.

The Pro-Mag is still suspect, so I won't be using it except at the range.

I agree with the comments posted by others that the P95 is absolutely one of the best values on the pistol market.

wallacem

Bearcat
I love my P95, it is great as is all my other P series pistols from Ruger. I agree that you can't judge a pistol as being bad just because you hear a few problem on forums like this one. There are hundreds of thousands of safisfied P95 users out there unheard. All pistols, even the very expensive ones give problems sometimes. If you have a problem P95, send it to Ruger, they will fix it. If you don't want to do that, quit complaining. Remember, the only perfect thing died on a cross. Wallacem

revhigh

Hawkeye
The P95 has always been one of the best performing guns in Ruger's semiauto lineup. It has no skeletons in it's closet and can be bought for a song. These guns are routinely being sold for less than $300 out the door. In my opinion, other than the P90, it's the best semiauto that Ruger's ever made.

Hey .... did I just praise a Ruger semi ??? I have to go take my temperature ... make sure I'm not sick LOL. :D

REV

OnTarget

Bearcat
I bought my P95 about 6 months ago and have put over 500 rounds through it with zero problems or malfunctions. I would recommend this gun to anyone. Best gun for the value out there! I have no problem trusting my life with it.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I just wish I had money enough to buy all the problem P series pistols out there. They will be working as reliably as any of the ones I currently have soon enough.

For the money Ruger P series get the job done for me any way.

tk

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
leejack":v3fpmlu8 said:
I've been following this too. I'm getting nervous. My daughter wants one and I just hate problems. That's why I've been shooting Blackhawks and Sixes for so long. Never a problem. Never!

lee
I don't known how experience your daughter is on shooting guns but
I would suggest you advise your daughter to learn how to shoot a revolver well first before she even considers a autoloader. It appears you have enough excellent revolvers to train her on. And of course it she wants one for herself consider a SA/DA revolver. Ruger makes some fine ones like the Security Sixes, SP101 and or course the larger GP100s. She will develope good double action skills plus you know how reliable the revolver is. When she becomes a skilled gun handler then and only then would I suggest a autoloader. I see a lot woman purchase autoloaders with little or no experience handling guns. Most the time if they don't get training they wind up selling the gun and giving up because its to complicated or they complain its to hard to rack the slide to shoot.
Over thirty five years ago I bought mine first gun. I had to have a autoloader. I bought a Ruger Mark I. It was a big mistake. Besides being complicated to shoot and clean I was never as accurate as my friends shooting revolvers. I finally sold it and been shooting revolvers ever since. If she has experience try a rental autoloader at the range. She might change her mind after using it.
This of course is my opinion but I have seen a lot of yound people make these mistakes.

Good luck,
roaddog28