What is the appeal of single action revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

coach

Hunter
For mere mortals, you can pull a DA trigger six times faster than you can a SA.
Is that important? Maybe, maybe not.
You can say the same thing about a Glock vs. a DA.
Personally I tend to shoot DA guns in DA. I usually only shoot them in single action when trying to figure out the accuracy of a particular load or something kind of far away.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Jim Luke's answer is very appropriate. I think there is something artful, simple, dependable, and mystical about the SAA. I feel the same about a good single shot and leveraction rifle. In the world of advancement, muss, fuss, frustration, and such, My love for these simple things grows with every passing day. Its a mindset.

Best of luck in your quest - "The Fool"

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
PriseDeFer said:
For me there are two things going on with a single action, the iron tool for the actual gun stuff and the other aspect of the thing, one of the more vivid talismans bound up in that mix of history and fiction we see as The American West. Something for your personal medicine bundle that can take you to that place where our best selves ride the range.

Spot on, Pard!!
It's wonderfully entwined with and allows one to enter into the 'Myth of the American West'; that special place one can go to, to re-invent themselves, if just for the day!

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I have an F-150 in my driveway with an automatic transmission, and in my shed, I have an F-350 with a manual tranny. If I'm driving around town, where I need to shift a lot and would prefer the better mileage, the automatic F-150 has the advantage. When I need to pull a three axle stock trailer loaded with bulls, having the extra power and direct control in the manual F-350 is the advantage.

Maybe the metaphor is too thick.

I have DA's and SA's both, in big bores and small bores, rimfires and super magnums. Most of the time, I pick a DA/SA, and only fire it SA, simply because I like the opportunity to load and unload more simply and quickly. There were years, however, where I preferred single actions.

I'm also a huge fan of fixed sight revolvers, in DA or SA, but decidedly moreso for SA fixies. There's a sleek, elegant sex appeal for a fixed sight single action revolver that's simply unmatched by DA revolvers, or adjustable sight revolvers.

Price is something I've come to not consider most of the time for my firearms selections, but for many, it's a driving factor. Single actions are less expensive than their equivalent double action counterparts.

I suppose one could point out that the DA/SA trigger is generally inferior to that of a SA, for feel, overtravel, and pull weight, as well as trigger reach when fired SA. Due to the long trigger travel, DA's are generally fired with a different part of the finger, which puts the trigger further rearward into your "fist" rather than out in front in a normal position as an SA revolver trigger (normal as compared to rifles, shotguns, and other non-DA firearms). SA's tend to have a longer lock time than equivalent DA's, which makes them less forgiving, but it also allows trigger geometries that allow lower total pull weights with reliable resets. DA's also tend to have more over-travel in the trigger as well. Is it really enough to make one largely superior to the other? Eh, not really, unless you really need a sub-1lb trigger.

bogus bill

Hunter
I started out with a Ruger single six about 55 years ago. Soon I was packing DA revolvers at work. I am not going to say single actions are better than DA revolvers or auto`s to carry for defense because they just aren't. Else at least some departments would issue them. None do. The biggest reason they don't has to be because they are slower to reload and the auto is higher capacity. Still, I suppose most of us could get by with a SA for everything. Most of us who CC wouldn't think of packing a SA really due to size. They just aren't a pocket pistol. They are more natural pointing and fine for OC and hunting with. It`s fact that they have a longer hammer fall and truth is that just isn't as a good a thing for accuracy as a DA is even when fired in SA mode. They are as said simpler to work on and are stronger. I think they are more fun and I have more than my share of them. There is no argument about the nostalgic and the influence of westerns. Unless I was a Chief of police in a remote village I couldn't recommend a SAA in today's world.

very good question, and one that each of us has to find out on our own, we are NOT ALL 'cowboys", nor swat members, nor combat veterans , or even handgun game hunters, nor target shooters of any championship caliber, and I recall a few young boys that NEVER "played" with ANY 'toy' guns , let alone, play "army" or 'cowboy and Indian', heck some folks don;t even like the LOUD noise.....so you gotta find out what YOU like, feel comfortable with, can shoot and hit what you are aiming at,,,,,,,what floats YOUR boat 8) :roll: :wink:

What makes the world go around.... :)

.....now about Ford s and Chevys..............my first "new" car was a Buick :shock:

contender

Ruger Guru
Dan,,, you just gotta throw in the ford/chevy thing with a buick huh?

Seriously, back to the OP.

I've read all these threads,,, and as many have stated,,, it's often hard to put into words. But there is a "feel" in handling them, as well as the "fit" for many. Add in the many custom calibers built off the SA frame type that are almost never done with a DA type, it all just has a positive effect on many folks.
The pack easily, are simple to operate, function reliably, to where they are just very popular.

And as a collector,,, more folks collect the SA's than any other type. Why? For all the reasons all in this thread.

But,, once you shoot them, you will get an idea if it's for you or not.

willk

Blackhawk
We own a nice collection of Ruger Single Action Revolvers. For fun shooting and especially for hunting, nothing beats the versatility of a solid single action revolver. Single Action is in a place in our hearts. As said, we shoot them for fun days, plinking, Deer Hunting and we even have a customized Single Six we use in small bore IHMSA Revolver class.

We own three double action revolvers. They are quick to get into action and being Rugers are strong, safe and reliable. All are in .357. The Redhawk has a great double and single action trigger. The Security Six has the best factory single action trigger I have ever pulled. The SP101 is scary accurate. On a good day from a sitting position, I can hit IHMSA pigs at 100 meters with it.

What do I carry when I am going out in the woods for anything but a regulation hunt? My full sized Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. For Hunting either a rifle or a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .41 or 44. What do we carry everywhere else, A Ruger SR1911 CMD. Brenda has an M&P Shield. It only makes sense.

So what's the appeal of the single action. Its in our heart and in our hand. It looks right, it feels right and it is right!

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I shot a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. I liked it and shot it quite well as a matter of fact.

Talk about old school - this has it in spades! I don't know that I'm going to run out right away and buy an SA only revolver, but I sure did enjoy the experience.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Dennis said:
I shot a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. I liked it and shot it quite well as a matter of fact.

Talk about old school - this has it in spades! I don't know that I'm going to run out right away and buy an SA only revolver, but I sure did enjoy the experience.

Don't fight it. You're hooked. Just a matter of reeling you in. :lol:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Dennis said:

Great. All I need now is another obsession! hahaha

MaxP

Buckeye
Dennis said:
GunnyGene said:
Dennis said:

Great. All I need now is another obsession! hahaha

I always though of it as an addiction..... :mrgreen:

roylt

Hunter
I always told myself I would never have any of those and then I started reading in the smith section and I do like to tinker. Now I have a few... Most with custome grip frames or should I say not factory original frames.

Single six with a bird grip was my last project. So for me it isn't even about shooting but more about tinkering. I do shoot them too but haven't shot them all yet.

I'm sure some folks think it a waste of money but cheaper than Harleys....

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
For teaching new shooters I always start with a SA revolver.
It's simpler to teach, and once cocked and fired it has, by design, rendered itself "safe" until deliberately cocked by the user.
A Beautiful albeit underrated feature imho.

Dirknar

Bearcat
I think it was all the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns I watched add a kid and adult. Heck I get out my Blackhawk and fondle it while watching westerns all the time!