What hardware to install compact grip onto my new GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

orygunmike

Bearcat
I have a newer GP100 with the hogue grips. I want to install the compact grip (I haven't purchased it yet)

I'm new to Ruger revolvers. What mounting hardware will I need and what are the best sources?
Screws?
Grip locator panel?

Thanks for the help.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Here are the part numbers needed to install genuine Ruger rubber grips with the Ruger black xenoy panels
Grip Panel Screw GP100fs/SP101 KW01300
Grip Ferrule, (left) GP100fs/SP101 W01015
Grip Ferrule, (right) GP100fs/SP101 W01014
You also need a grip panel locator which I believe is the same for both size grips, but don't have the number.
The black xenoy's are
Grip Inserts, Black Plastic (Sold in Pairs Only) SP101 W21018
Note that there is no GP100 listing for these panels but I assure you they fit the GP100 compact rubber, IF it is Ruger.

If you get a set of Altamont panels, they come with a single screw and that is all you need. Be careful, it takes only a tiny purchase into soft brass.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This thread on another forum shows before and after pictures. It also advises buying the sp101 grip to get all the insert parts needed instead of individual parts.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458465

You might like custom inserts.
http://timsworkshop.blogspot.com/p/ruger-sp101-grip-panels-for-sale.html

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Here are some more pictures dealing with replacing a GP-100 Hogue grip with an old-style Ruger compact grip.

Note that you will need to remove the Hogue attaching hardware in the first photo to be able to use the old-style Ruger grip.

Picture number two shows the old-style Ruger mounting hardware.

Finally, picture number three shows the size comparison between the Hogue, the full-size old-style Ruger, and the old-style round-butted compact grip.

For me, the compact grip works best on the GP-100 regardless of whether it is a three-inch or a four-inch barrel. Cannot speak for a six-inch barrel, for none of mine are that long.

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

orygunmike

Bearcat
Awesome responses guys .... exactly the info I needed! I appreciate everyone take the time to educate a new Ruger enthusiast!

orygunmike

Bearcat
NewportNewsMike and Single-Sixer

.....I bought a Gp100 compact grip from Midway....
and
I bought acomplete SP101 grip assembly, complete with rubber grip, inserts, screw, and locator pin.

While the SP101 grip panels fit into my compact grip perfectly....the locator pin is way too small

Someone on the Firingline forum...as referenced in another post on this thread....said the locator pin/parts for the SP101 would fit the GP100. That isn't how it worked for me.

The hole for the GP100 grip locator on both the gun and the rubber compact grip is nearly .47"....while the hole for the SP101 grip locator on both the gun and the rubber grip is .25".

Did you use the factory locator pin that came with the GP100 grip??

hittman

Staff member
Some have said a piece of 1/2 inch wooden dowel works just fine. No reason why it has to be metal.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
I installed a set of Ruger compact grips on my 454 Alaskan without any problems. Now getting the courage to shoot full house 454's with the compacts is a whole other animal.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Mike, might as well just throw one on your next midwayusa order. Although, currently on backorder

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/482069/ruger-grip-panel-locator-ruger-gp100-super-redhawk

Note the feedback from the guy that says it is too BIG for a compact grip on GP100. hmmm. I am almost certain I used the same one on both compact and full size grips on my GP. These grip panel parts are getting more confusing than figuring out single action grip frames.

David L

Bearcat
When I changed mine over I purchased the rubber compact grip for the GP-100 and the locator plug (they are separate items) from Midway. Then, a guy called 1chig on ebay sells great looking inserts for a good price. Look under "SP-101 grip panels" (they are the same size as GP compacts) and you will see all kinds of inserts from him. If you order from him make sure you tell him in your e-mail that you are purchasing them for the GP-100.

orygunmike

Bearcat
Now that I figured out the details of what parts are needed to convert from the Hogue to the original Ruger compact grip ... I am absolutely tickled with the results

I purchased the grip inserts from Tim's Workshop http://timsworkshop.blogspot.com/p/ruger-sp101-grip-panels-for-sale.html. They are made Black & Silver Birchwood Laminate
and I really like how the greyish-gun metal colors in the grips compliment the stainless steel.

Thanks again to all those who offered assistance.

Chris

Blackhawk
I never changed any of mine, but I have changed the grip panels. Any noticeable difference in the shooting aspect of it.
C

Latest posts