Range Day with New (to me) Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

davidkachel

Bearcat
Took 5 new (to me) guns to the range today. Several months accumulation. Three Rugers, a (blecchh) Taurus, and a Rossi RP63 (can't believe Taurus owns them).

Talked about the Speed Six in a different thread the other day. After shooting it for the first time today, I don't believe I will be trading/selling it for anything. With a shiny new hammer spring, it performed quite well and both 38 Specials and 357s printed to the same point of aim at 15 yards with numerous rounds going through single holes. Now I think I understand why they are "sought after".

A used Single-Six in .32 H&R for which I thought I had paid too much, dropped every round of two different handloads into the black, same point of aim. The sights were exactly on. 95 grain Keith bullets on top of 4 grains of TiteGroup made three sets of multiple bullet single holes, all rounds tightly centered. Average 1,200 fps was unexpected.

My new SP101 4inch in .327 unaltered as it came from the factory suffered from multiple light primer strikes and I never got around to putting it on paper. It gave me roughly 100 fps better performance than the 3" Toro, so a bit better than one might expect from only an extra inch of barrel. Sent it to bed without supper, hoping for better mechanical behavior another day.

So, two out of three good Rugers at once is not so bad. S&Ws are coming out of the factory needing work, why not Rugers!!! All in all, I am quite pleased with the Speed Six and the Single Six. (The RP63, too, but this is a Ruger forum.)

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like a fun way to spend a day,, breaking in new guns.

The one SP-101 that was giving trouble,, may need a little study as to WHY it was doing that. Ammo? Internal crud not cleaned out? Is it a new gun or used,, where someone may have swapped out springs? Just a few things that may be the culprit.

davidkachel

Bearcat
Sounds like a fun way to spend a day,, breaking in new guns.

The one SP-101 that was giving trouble,, may need a little study as to WHY it was doing that. Ammo? Internal crud not cleaned out? Is it a new gun or used,, where someone may have swapped out springs? Just a few things that may be the culprit.
New gun. No crud. Never fired before. The only difference is new Pachmayr rubber grips that were a bear to get on. The factory grips were aggravating my hand. The Pachmayr grips may be rubbing on the spring somewhere, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll have to dynamite them off and put the factory grips back on to see if the problem goes away.