What does 2,000 burning AK rounds sound like?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
Hell's own popcorn cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3-BzXzqvo

When the pops are two to three seconds apart, it's ready to eat . . . :p

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wow!!! That's a one hot tamale.

For someone with the time I saw a video from SAAMI that explores dropping, shooting and burning ammo.

Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter: What Happens When Ammo Burns? - SAAMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Thanks Jimbo. Very interesting video. Well worth the time taken to view it.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
In one of my issues of American Rifleman from the 50s, they cooked off a 30/06 rd in an electric frying pan covered by a cardboard box. Nothing penetrated the box... :wink:

coach

Hunter
About ten years ago American Rifleman had an article and testing about cooking off ammo ammo in a fire setting. As I recall nothing would have penetrated a fireman's turn out gear.
Interesting video.
I didn't notice any.22lr ammo. Either they couldn't find it too or it never made it to the burn pile. :)

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
They aren't bullets they are cartridges, for Christ sake get it right.

Dana

Thanks ProfessorWes, that was awesome.
Thanks Jimbo as an active firefighter that info is good to know/refresh. Up in these hills and hollows are a bunch of people with ammo. Near 100%! :)
gramps

eveled

Hunter
I was hoping to see what happens to a full ammo can during a fire. I've been told it's a bomb, but always hoped the rubber gasket would melt and vent off the pressure. Hard to beat an ammo can for water tight storage.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
eveled said:
I was hoping to see what happens to a full ammo can during a fire. I've been told it's a bomb, but always hoped the rubber gasket would melt and vent off the pressure. Hard to beat an ammo can for water tight storage.

Which is why ammo used to be stored in wooden crates/boxes and I still do. :)

blume357

Hawkeye
Was cleaning out the trash in my father's shop a few years back and we burned a good bit of the debris and a bunch of loose 22's got thrown in and scattered.... every minute or so you'd get a nice little 'pop' and that was all.