What are you paying for SP101. 22? & Did you wait long?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cfrock

Bearcat
As the title says, any owners care to share what you paid for your SP101 .22? And how did you have to wait for yours?

Over the past month I've checked every LGS in S Florida and can't find one or a shop that will give me a timeline on one. I went to a fairly large gunshow on Saturday and found a big goose egg there too. Did see and manhandles 2 Ruger SR1911's. I even found myself holding and considering the Taurus .22 revolver at the show but decided against it. The DA pull was the heaviest I've yet to come across.

jjas

Single-Sixer
My local gun store has had one sitting on the shelf for a month. They want $595.00 and won't budge on the price.....

vtmactech

Bearcat
I paid $520 OTD at my local shop. Nice guy, he got in 5 and let me pick the one (best trigger) I wanted then put the rest on the shelf. All sold in 2 days.

As far as wait, I asked him to order them when I first heard they might make them so he called his distributers and they "hung a post-it" for when the sku became available in their system.

side by side

Single-Sixer
I purchased mine from the local dealer,paid $455.00 plus tax and $5.00 transfer. Great shooting handgun, mine likes CCI std Vel. ammo.

xtratoy

Buckeye
side by side said:
I purchased mine from the local dealer,paid $455.00 plus tax and $5.00 transfer. Great shooting handgun, mine likes CCI std Vel. ammo.
Great price. The cheapest price including tax I have seen is around $550.

ultramag44

Bearcat
Ruger released them on 15 September. I had my dealer call his wholesaler that same day @ noon.

@ noon the next day, 16 September, I was picking it up, soooo a 24 hour wait. 8) :D

$539.00 + tax

mattsbox99

Hunter
Got mine today, I didn't special order it but it was on the shelf. $549 no tax. Got it all taken apart and cleaned up, but I'll have to order some springs because this trigger is awful and the other one they had was the same way.

The frame had 10/28 build on it and the gun was test fired the same day.

cfrock

Bearcat
Still no stock in S Florida. There's a gun show this weekend, maybe I'll get lucky. I may take a serious look into the Taurus version; seems both it and the Ruger have fairly bad/heavy triggers.

mattsbox99

Hunter
cfrock, I just ordered a $10 spring kit that has been reviewed to offer an excellent trigger for the SP101, something not available for the Taurus.

I know Ruger should have given us a good trigger to begin with, they are capable of it. This gun does not need a 14lb hammer spring when a 9lb one will do just fine, it doesn't need a 12lb trigger return spring when a 10lb one will do.

The store had a 617 on the shelf too, for $130 more, but it had a way longer barrel than I wanted and quite honestly I don't think the trigger was very good so it would have needed some attention anyway.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
xtratoy said:
side by side said:
Great price. The cheapest price including tax I have seen is around $550.
I agree. At that price, it was practically stolen! :lol:

cfrock

Bearcat
Well I finally got to man handle one at the gun show this weekend; The fit & finish was nicely done. That said I didn't pick one up; I handled 2 examples. The trigger is what held me back. While it was smooth, it was overly heavy to say the least, Even in SA it left much to be desired. Felt pretty good in hand and both seemed to be in fine working order. Interestingly, the first example I handled had the edges at the top of the trigger milled down/rounded and was comfortable for the thumb. The other example had a sharp-edged trigger I found extremely uncomfortable. I asked the vendor if he had it milled or worked on in any way- His response was not at all he had it for only 3 days and was purchased specifically for the show. It didn't occur to me to check serial #'s until after I got home. I realize I could have looked for a new spring set to lighten the trigger but for a fun-to-shoot plinker I feel I shouldn't have to put much into a gun off the bat. Ultimately the cheap and accurate semi .22's available will have to tide me over.

PS.- I saw 8 SR1911's and a Beretta Nano.

ultramag44

Bearcat
cfrock said:
Well I finally got to man handle one at the gun show this weekend; The fit & finish was nicely done. That said I didn't pick one up; I handled 2 examples. The trigger is what held me back. While it was smooth, it was overly heavy to say the least, Even in SA it left much to be desired. Felt pretty good in hand and both seemed to be in fine working order. I realize I could have looked for a new spring set to lighten the trigger.

Mine was 4.25 lb SA out-of-the-box, but extremely smooth and very crisp.

W/ the Wolf trigger return spring and Wolf 12 lb mainspring the SA went to 2.75, but I would get 3 misfires out of a box of 50 rounds.

I reinstalled the Ruger mainspring and the SA went up to 3 lb, but now back to 100% sure fire on the rounds.

The Hogue rubber MonoGrip is a big improvement over the factory grips.

A few minutes w/ a fine oil stone knocked the sharp edges off the hammer spur & hammer edges.

Mah only question is when will an aftermarket, steel, all black front sight blade be available?

cfrock

Bearcat
Sugar River said:
cfrock said:
PS.- I saw 8 SR1911's and a Beretta Nano.

Which show was it, and what kind of prices were on the 1911s? :?:

Thanks
Pete

Sorry forgot about this post.
The SR1911's were tagged at $759 if I recall from Shoot Straight. One was offered to a guy standing next to me for $700 without any prodding from the buyer. I'm guessing they'd go to $675 fairly easily. IT was the show at War Memorial in Ft Lauderdale.

If I recall correctly, the Nano was $420 but I'm not certain. Very nice gun though.

Colorado1

Bearcat
I picked mine up in Sacramento for $515 from a box chain store. I was told that no store received more than 2 revolvers each. I had them set mine aside before it came in. The second one sold the first day they put it out. My serial # is under 3,000.

csnider

Single-Sixer
I bought mine off this forum in the Classified section from Arizona Arms for $549 back in September which included shipping to Texas.

I was most unimpressed with this revolver compared to the feel of my 1991 made SP's in 22RF. One of mine has the full-lug barrel and the other a half-lug which of course is like the new 8-shot. My half-lug in still NIB and I have only shot the full-lug, which I find to more accurate and a smoother action. Did like the fiber optic on the 8-shot though!

I sold the new 8-shot at my table this past weekend at a local gun show for $575. I will stay with my "old one".

charlie