What a difference grips can make!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
For me, anyway. I have a Redhawk.45 ACP/Colt. I love the idea of a "dual" cartridge gun, and I already had a convertible Blackhawk. So when the Redhawk hit the market I snapped one up. Then I shot it. Ouch! Even with run of the mill ACP loads, it hurt to shoot. Specifically, it drove the upper left corner of the grip into the bone at the second joint of my thumb. A few cylinders hurt and more would rub the skin off. As I said, I like the idea, but at that point I wasn't sure if I'd even keep the Redhawk. I searched for grips that fit the new round frame and came up empty.

I decided to try a Tyler T-Grip, hoping that filling the area behind the trigger guard would push my hand down enough to avoid the beating it was taking. That was a bad idea in more ways than one. First of all it took over 6 weeks to arrive. Second, when it did arrive, it didn't fit correctly. And finally, after about 2 hours grinding with a dremel tool and finally getting it to fit reasonably well, it didn't work. 6 weeks of waiting, two hours grinding and $30 wasted.

I decided to take a risk and get set of grips for a standard Redhawk; I found a set of Pachmeyr Presentation grips online. They fit the gun fine, and did eliminate the recoil problem I was having. But they're a bit big for my hands. So I found a used pair of Pachmeyr Grippers on Gunbroker for $16 delivered.

WoW! I love the way they fit my hands and the rubber is kind to my thumb. I shot 100+ rounds out of it yesterday and it felt great the entire time. I'm no longer wondering if I can keep it; now you would be hard pressed to pry it away from me!

To those of you out there wondering if standard square butt Redhawk grips will fit the new round butt Redhawk, yes they will. Yes, you're giving up the "benefit" of having the smaller round grip. For me it was more than worth it. Do keep in mind that if you get a set of grips that doesn't enclose the backstrap, they won't be aligned with it.

Anybody want a very slightly used set of Presentation grips for a Redhawk? Send me a PM, I'll let them go pretty cheap.

Now you know what your hands like, that's a wonderful thing, congratulations. I think you'll find that most of us here have a pretty good collection of grips(and holsters) that we've gone through until we've found the right one. It's an extremely personal decision and all anyone can do is recommend what works for us as individuals.