What .357mag 4" should I get: GP100 or Dan Wesson?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thel

Blackhawk
An additional note: the Dan Wesson was designed by Karl Lewis who designed a number of guns and he may have done some for Colt, not sure.

Athanasor

Bearcat
I think that if you asked this question on a more "neutral" forum, the majority would tell you to go with the Ruger. I don't have as much technical expertise as most of the folks on this forum, but if you only took customer service and parts availability as your criteria Ruger wins hands down.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Thel said:
I had at one time both a Dan Wesson 15VH6 and 744V6. The sintered metal parts are very porous so even if they could be smoothed the result would not be like a polished cast or forged part. Also, in double action the trigger pull was not smooth throughout. I have had, also, GP100's (still have a 4" one), 66, 686 Mtn. Gun, Python and Security Sixes. In many ways I prefer the GP over the current Mtn. Gun. As you asked about GP's vs. Dan Wessons the trigger is miles ahead of the Dan Wesson in both pull quality and pull weight. The latter will never be as light as a Smith, Colt or Ruger simply because it has a very quick lock time (favored by the target crowds) or small hammer arc which requires heavier springing. As noted above there is some problems with the cylinder unlatching on occasion which probably hampered its acceptance by police forces.

Gunsmiths who work on them are few and far between. Grant Cunningham quit working on them. I think Teddy Jacobson may still work on them and Heffron Firearms in Iowa. As Cunningham used to work on them I will post some links to articles on his
blog:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/dan-wesson-problems.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/handguns2003.html

I think if had to have only one medium frame .357 it would be my GP.

I would have to disagree with you on the trigger of the GP being better than my DW, at least in single action, the DW is crisp without much creep and light, when my GP was in it's stock form the trigger had quite a bit of creep and was a bit heavy. But that's a comparison of two individual pieces, I know the triggers of the GP's vary in amount of creep. I'm sure the DW's do also. I like both guns actually, those Dans are a good value at the prices they go for currently. Like most ruger products the GP's are the best value to be had, IMO.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Apples and oranges.... Don't really see a right or wrong. So many fine choices out there in DA revolvers. I've owned many from S&Ws to Colts to Rugers to DWs. My personal current favorite favorite is an old blue 586 S&W. Been eye balling that new "Distinguished Revolver" badge. Looked hard at a shooter grade Python and a DW to play with. My local emporium has 6 inch blue GP100s on sale for $419.. Stainless $50 more. I'm just about to add a blue one to my "set" :D

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
The only Dan Wesson I ever owned was a very inaccurate revolver. Since the reputation they have is the exact opposite I have to believe this gun was just a bad apple. I had a friend who we all feel is among the best shots of our little group try it out and he shot his worst with it too.
I would pick from the Smith 27/28 or the GP100 or Redhawk, assuming you can find one.