VW diesel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well I just renews the registration on my non eco friendly VW Golf TDI. Bought new tires for it too. I figure I might as well keep it and pollute the air a while longer.

I've been getting all sorts of advertisements from lawyers too. The last one said it is defective and may not even be street legal. It was written in a very inflammatory manner. Some lawyer down in Austin. I did however receive a letter of apology written from the new president of VW....how they failed our trust et etera. I saw on the news where the German government has demanded VW recall all the cars sold with this software. The government said it amounts to a defeat mechanism. Still no word on a recall here however. I do notice Audi and BMW don't seem to advertise their diesels recently...

Well. I'm off. I'll take the long way home passed my neighbors I don't really like. Let them breath some toxic fumes. (Joke...)

That cash for clunkers was a while back. I remember our neighbors traded in an old Cadillac for a Prius. I bought my VW three years ago. I traded in a Tacoma.... I got tired of the gas milage, now I'm getting 45 on the highway.

One thing I wod like to know is the difference in emissions in the diesel VW. As in just how bad is bad? My car passed the inspection required for registration, but the software installed. How much does it change the emissions test? A lot or just a little?

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
IF I had the money, I'd rush out and buy myself one of those VW diesels BEFORE they get it converted.
Our government as USUAL has its COLLECTIVE head inserted well up between its own butt cheeks and is mandating ridiculous standards on Diesels as well as power companies.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
Kevin said:
That cash for clunkers was a while back. I remember our neighbors traded in an old Cadillac for a Prius. I bought my VW three years ago. I traded in a Tacoma.... I got tired of the gas milage, now I'm getting 45 on the highway.

One thing I wod like to know is the difference in emissions in the diesel VW. As in just how bad is bad? My car passed the inspection required for registration, but the software installed. How much does it change the emissions test? A lot or just a little?

I haven't been paying that much attention, but I heard one report that the diesel emissions were FORTY times worse than a normal vehicle.

Yeah, right, of course; That SOUNDS like the usual EPA Government lies and propaganda to "justify" whatever they want to do. A LOT depends on what you WANT to call pollution;
Remember when this all started with "SMOG control on auto's, they EXEMPTED diesels because THEY DID NOT Pollute. Now they needed something else to justify their big pay checks and force economical transportation off the road.

radicalrod

Hunter
ROLLING SOME COAL....gosh when we were young we had glass packs and dual pumper Holleys....RR

Big Old Boy

Hunter
If it ain't smokin it ain't running right. I used to drive a V12 Detroit lots of smoke and it hauled asz.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
Colonialgirl said:
[="TitanX"]
Kevin said:

I haven't been paying that much attention, but I heard one report that the diesel emissions were FORTY times worse than a normal vehicle.

Yeah, right, of course; That SOUNDS like the usual EPA Government lies and propaganda to "justify" whatever they want to do. A LOT depends on what you WANT to call pollution;
Remember when this all started with "SMOG control on auto's, they EXEMPTED diesels because THEY DID NOT Pollute. Now they needed something else to justify their big pay checks and force economical transportation off the road.

CG,

Anyone who's seen a bus or diesel semi know they pollute. Perhaps not the same pollutants as gasoline vehicles but they belch enormous clouds of crap. Trucks were exempted because they are at the heart of our distribution economy.

smoking-truck.jpg

and...
diesel_smoke_big_sm.jpg
[/quote]

ANYBODY STUPID ENOUGH to have their Diesel BELCHING all that much BLACK smoke needs a
RECTO-CRANIAL extraction procedure in a big way. THAT is NOT normal for a diesel and they ARE wasting fuel. I believe it has to be deliberate.

737tdi

Hunter
Quote Titan: "Trucks were exempted because they are at the heart of our distribution economy."

The key in this statement is "were". All diesels are included in the new laws. Even bulldozers, semis, all heavy machinery. Even the pushback tugs we use at work for towing aircraft. We have gone all electric here in Dallas and some other stations because of it.

Karl

Kevin said:
.. I got tired of the gas milage, now I'm getting 45 on the highway.

I'd say 45 MPG...That's gotta be incredibly cleaner than if EPA gets their hands on it.

Way back, when Oregon first required DEQ testing of cars, my buddy had a Chevy pickup. Ran like a top and got great mileage. Failed the test. I leaned it out so far it hardly would run. Passed the test. As soon as we got home, I re-opened the mixture screw so it would run like it was supposed to.

And last...My boy works for Volkswagen Credit in customer service. His work life has been hell. He quit yesterday.

WAYNO.

blume357

Hawkeye
Same kind of way I was thinking... vw's 'polluting' engine gets 45-50mpg while my (clean burning) van gets 10mpg.... which is actually putting more stuff in the air?

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
blume357 said:
Same kind of way I was thinking... vw's 'polluting' engine gets 45-50mpg while my (clean burning) van gets 10mpg.... which is actually putting more stuff in the air?

Figures lie and liars figure. :roll:

Think about it. :D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:

Hi,

The answer should be pretty much self-evident!

But just for a review (probably as boring today as it was 50 years ago!), let's go back to high school physics, Mr. W's class, very early in the course, where this was written on the board one day when we came in (the whole class wasn't so boring: Mr. W's Dad owned a gun shop, and a lot of the section when we got to Mr. Newton included examples which revolved around projectiles pushed by burning propellants! Almost all of the kids in the class could relate to them back then, too.):

The Law of Conservation of Matter

Matter is neither created nor destroyed, it simply changes form.

Applied to this question, we'd have gone thru a discussion something like this. 45 mpg divided by 10 mpg = 4.5 So the van uses 4.5x the fuel over a given distance (which we'll keep at 45 miles for now.)

Next we'd figure the weight of the fuel, which is roughly 6 lbs/gal. "Close enough," as Mr. W liked to say--he'd give us a little leeway on actual figures, but was merciless on keeping the units straight! So the VW uses 6 lbs of fuel to go 45 miles. The van uses 27 lbs of fuel to go the same distance. Assuming both vehicles are burning fuel and air mixed at the same ratio, the VW uses 1 "unit" of air per gal of fuel, whatever that might be (10 cu ft, 100 cu ft, whatever), the van uses 4.5 units of air (also at 4.5x the weight.) Simplified, 1 pound of "stuff" in = 1 pound of "stuff" out. I'm pretty sure that's how Mr. W would have scribbled it all over the board. "Any questions?" he'd ask.

All that's left to argue is what does the "stuff" turn into as it's burned... so we can turn it over to the chemists from here. Even so, they're bound by that same law (Mr W also taught our chemistry class, where we spent untold amounts of time "balancing" equations of chemical reactions to demonstrate it), so the answer doesn't seem to be nearly as hard to ascertain as the politicians and regulators try to make it, while they try to describe this all using "good stuff" and "bad stuff" labels.

Maybe some of them should have sat thru Mr. W's class? ;) Back to our naps, now!

Rick C

Latest posts