Very cool 1-B story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boneman

Bearcat
Just today I acquired my very first Ruger rifle, a 1-B ser.# 3598, chambered in 6mm Rem. It was discovered that ink-stamped in the barrel groove of the forearm is the date, Dec. 13, 1967 - today's date exactly 46 years ago. That made today a very cool date to become the proud owner. It has beautiful wood, red buttpad, and came with a 3x-9x Redfield scope.

No-1

Single-Sixer
Great Christmas present to yourself. The date is the day the first finish coats were applied to the stock. I've found the No1s to be addictive - bought 4 within the last year. Pick up a copy of JD Claytons book on the No1 good reading and lots of info.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
That's a great story and welcome to the (addictive) fraternity.

Your acquisition and the circumstances of the purchase are comparable to shooting a 14-point buck your first time deer hunting!

The only thing that could make it better is if the rifle came with the early vertically-split rings.

Congratulations and enjoy your FIRST ;-) No. 1

Boneman

Bearcat
Thanks for the comments and "warnings" (I sense the addictiveness already).

No-1: I will check out the Clayton book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Boneman

Bearcat
gewehrfreund: I looked again and it does have the vertical split rings! I didn't even know enough to notice or appreciate what type of rings it had mounted on it. This story is getting better!

I'll try and figure how to post a picture. Never done it before.

METLHED57

Bearcat
If those are original vertical split scope rings I've heard they are worth a small fortune. They only put them on the first year of production.