vaquero, old or new model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
As it now appears that Ruger is now stamping New Vaquero as Vaquero, what do we call the early large frame vaqueros. big vaquero, vaquero grande, ist gen vaquero????

I have 4 of them and need to know how to id them.

G2

Hunter
Full Size, 1st Gen, Vaquero's are 2 digit prefix SN#

Mid Size, New Vaqueros are 3 digit prefix SN#

When I inquire I ask the SN# ,,, it tells me EXACTLY what's up.

street

Hunter
You have ask a question that on this forum has caused more of a discussion then anything you could come up with, and a few name calling I might add. Most people use Vaquero and New Vaquero. Most people will slap you on the knuckles if you dare to use the term "Old Model Vaquero." They seem to think that you are throwing an insult at their beloved 3 Screw Old Models. If you tell a novice that their Vaquero is a New Vaquero, and the gun has been rode hard and put up wet, then they are going to tell you "No it not new"! Same if they have a new in the box Vaquero and you try to tell them it's an Old Vaquero. They are going to say "No it's a New Vaquero!" As you can see it opens this up to a lot of discussion, and sooner or later some name calling :lol: :lol:

So to try to answer your question I think Vaquero and New Vaquero is what most collectors will mostly agree on. And G2 has come up with the best way to tell the diference and that is with the serial number. Now if someone wants to call the Vaquero an Old Model Vaquero, Old Vaquero, Large Frame Vaquero, first mod. Vaquero, type one Vaquero, or any of the other names that I forgot then that's OK. Because anyone that knows anything about the Vaqueros will know what model you are talking about. And if someone doesn't know anything about Vaqueros then they will be just as much in the dark if you call them Vaquero---New Vaquero.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
two bit okie said:
As it now appears that Ruger is now stamping New Vaquero as Vaquero...

Is this still only for the .44 Special guns or are they changing the stamp on all of them now?

-Stephen

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I agree this subject creates much more gnashing of teeth than is necessary. Right now there is another post asking about the value of a gun and it has practically gotten hijacked over what to call the gun. One thing that burns my butt is when some schoolmarm has to start off lecturing about how there is no such thing as an Old Model Vaquero before he gets around to answering the question. If one insists on lecturing, please put it at the end of the post, not up front.

Sorry, but referring to serial numbers is not always practical, particularly if one does not have the gun in hand. For simplicity sake, I always refer to the large frame Vaqueros as 'original model' Vaqueros and I call the smaller framed gun New Vaquero.

I will continue to do so. I hope I am being specific enough and will not generate any lectures.

Newcastle

Bearcat
I am glad to see that there are level headed good guys here after all. :lol: I think I just got off on the wrong foot yesterday. I am a much better reader than a poster, thus the low post count. Back to reading I go!

:wink:

caryc

Hawkeye
Old....New....who cares. There is one sure way to tell the difference. Just measure the width of the grip frame.

.500" = Vaquero

.437" = New Vaquero

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
caryc said:
Old....New....who cares. There is one sure way to tell the difference. Just measure the width of the grip frame.

.005" = Vaquero

.437" = New Vaquero

That Vaquero had one NARROW grip frame! :lol:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Those discussions on "old, new, or whatever" do get ... amusing.

I can see it being a real issue if one is for sale and the potential purchaser is questioning which model it is because he intends to shoot "Ruger Only" loads in it at some point. However, a lecture or anything beyond a friendly discussion on how I would be describing it would probably result in a "no sale to you" response.

Of course, this recent move just adds a whole 'nuther level of confusion to that fire .....Ohhhh, noooooo!!! :shock:

Kanook

Buckeye
I'm just glad that his Old Model Vaquero wasn't in 45 Long Colt :twisted:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I usually call them Original Vaqueros. That way everyone knows what you are referring to.

Best Regards,
ADP3

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I like "Original Vaquero" or "Old Vaquero".

Seems to be enough separation there from the traditional "Old Model", and as soon as you say Vaquero..............

Tellico

Buckeye
I am going to buy a Vaquero and put a .437 grip frame on it and advertise it in the classifides as a New, Old large, small New model .45 Long Colt Vaquero. just to read the posts it gets.