vaquero, old or new model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kanook

Buckeye
If your good, add an adjustable sight (like the one that adjustes for drift only) to it.

And don't forget to add a SBH hammer to it.

I guess this will be lock shortly

street

Hunter
Tellico said:
I am going to buy a Vaquero and put a .437 grip frame on it and advertise it in the classifides as a New, Old large, small New model .45 Long Colt Vaquero. just to read the posts it gets.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just don't use the term "Old Model Vaquero" in the description and you will be OK. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I would like to "set in" at a Ruger Board Meeting and listen to the discussion about this topic. :D

I'd bring a cooler with a couple of salami sandwiches, a few chips and maybe a beer or three.........

:D

flatgate

Flatgate and Ale-8 have the RIGHT idea !!! me too..................

how about "first Vaquero" and this was not known until the later, NEW one came out, making the "first" one, an "old model",,,,,,,,,,,,,,, geeesh :roll:

I've always use the term "original Vaquero" or "large frame Vaquero" to make the distinction.

But I've sorta gotten over getting embroiled in the debates.

It's not a bad idea to help novices unterstand the distinction and "community accepted terminology" but we could certainly do it with a little less snark in many cases. We were all beginners at one time or another.

JMHO
:)

Rclark

Hunter
But I've sorta gotten over getting embroiled in the debates.
Hey, I thought I did too... But the engineer/computer science part of me, gets me back in, as in my world terms/device names/algorithm names mean something and you don't willy-nilly make the terms mean something else or use them somewhere else, or make up new ones for the heck of it, .... as it just confuses the issue.... By golly, if on the drawing it says .45 Colt it's a .45 Colt <fist pounds table>... not ... Oh yeah, not on that subject ;) . Anyway, that would be ... yep just like Ruger did with Vaquero and New Vaquero :D . I bet 'marketing' had something to do with the mix-up over there as I know the Engineers (I would think) wouldn't dream of it. "You are now going to call the New Vaquero a Vaquero? What???? That's ridiculous!" "But marketing says they want to end the confusion 'out there', so lets just call them all Vaqueros.... no, better yet lets 'transition' and only call some of them Vaqueros and some New Vaqueros even though all are New Vaqueros. Yeah, Lets get the customer used to the idea. Sounds good to me, Bob! Make it so." .... Sounds like a plot for a Dilbert cartoon.... Anyway, As for me, I'll just use old Vaquero or original Vaquero to describe the original large frame Vaquero (the OV but never OMV).

street

Hunter
I can't help myself. I just got to post this.

At one time I had an OLD MODEL VAQUERO that shot the following: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

401755278.jpg

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Ya, well, well, I gots 4 large frame, two digit sn prefix, old new model vaqs( well they are old and still new model), AND they are 44 mag. put those in newe model vaqueros and smoke them.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
So is it 410 gauge or 410 bore, I have boxes of 410 ammunition that says gauge and seen guns marked with bore :D

Sorry, I'll go now :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
I think one thing we can all agree on is that it was infinitely STUPID for Ruger to create such a disaster with these names. D-U-M-B-!-!-!

street

Hunter
I don't think Ruger was stupid for creating the names. All they are doing is selling guns, and doing a very good job of it if I do say so. I think we all are the stupid one's for making such a big deal of it. This has been discussed over and over and the Vaquero will still be called the Old Model Vaquero by some of us. So to keep hashing it over is futile, but we keep doing it, which could border on being stupid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't see how anybody with any sense could not agree that naming two distinctly different guns with two similar names is not stupid. Let us not forget that there are also two COMPLETELY different guns named SR-22. I think YOU just like arguing about this. I don't, so I'll leave you to it........

Rclark

Hunter
....by some of us.
Yes, your right there are a few .... and always will be that just don't quite get it :) . Hashing it over is futile. Whether .45 Colt or old Vaquero. But at least once in awhile, some will get enlightened with these sessions.... That said, it's about time to get my old Vaquero out for another session in the next couple of weeks and shoot some BP .45 Colt.

street

Hunter
CraigC said:
I don't see how anybody with any sense could not agree that naming two distinctly different guns with two similar names is not stupid. Let us not forget that there are also two COMPLETELY different guns named SR-22. I think YOU just like arguing about this. I don't, so I'll leave you to it........

Craig! Ruger has always done this. Just look at the Single-Six, Super Single-Six, and the Lightweight. All three have Single-Six stamped on the frame. They are 3 distinct guns but Ruger Stamps the same thing on the frame. What Ruger does is try to give each model seperate serial numbers ranges. Thats why they always want to know the serial number of the gun before they will give any information on parts for a particular gun. Another thing to consider is Bill Ruger cared nothing about the collector, and as long as he knew what was going on that's all he cared about.

So as long as Ruger knew what a particular gun was per the serial number, then that is all he needed to know to operate his business. Sorry I wasn't try to pi** you off but to give you another synopsis to think about. Or at least everyone else another piece of the information.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Only one real problem that I see. Here on this forum, most of us know the difference. but suppose a noob goes into a gunshop and says "I want a ruger vaquero 44." Some of the people I have seen working in gun shops recently could wind up selling the noob a 44 spec and 44 mg ammo.

gak

Buckeye
Stating the obvious but one thing Ruger could do is start (again) calling the newer generation, mid-framed guns by their proper name (however ill-conceived nomenclature originally as Craig points out)...in their literature and ads--"New Vaquero." Explain that, sure enough--yes, the special distributor run of .44 Specials was named just "Vaquero" but they are indeed New Vaqueros. No extensive apology, explanation or justification (such as the ever popular-but-lame "there never was an old Vaquero .44 Sp for there to be a New Vaquero" .44 Sp and such). Just state these .44 Specials are a moniker anomaly. End of discussion. Explain, briefly, how every now and then certain distributors request or have requested special runs of the old/original, large-frame Vaquero--especially in .44 Mag--so those may be seen from time to time. End of (their) explanation. Then the proper terminology (hopefully quickly, but at least eventually) would propagate back through the dealer network.

Ziptar

Bearcat
I'd just go by how Ruger marked the frames "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" but, not everyone does, so when discussing specifics its required to specify "old" and "new" models these days, like it or not.

Fact is they are two Completely different revolvers. Think of it this way... In 1968 Volkswagen sold a car called the "Beetle", they also sold one in 1998 called the "Beetle". They were two totally different cars, even Volkswagen it self was a totally different company 30 years later.

Same with .45 Colt. Thats what I call it but some will use .45 "Long" Colt or ".45 LC". If you really think about it though, splitting hairs over the name or its historical usage is pointless.

IMHO, The fact of the matter is the .45 ("Long") Colt we use and talk about today is nothing at all like the original .45 Colt of old. It's really a newly invented caliber that just retains the name. The original .45 Colt case was a folded balloon head design, it was thin rimmed, and had a slight taper to it. Todays modern day .45 Colt brass has more in common with a .44 Magnum case in appearance, design, and strength than it does it's original namesake of 1873 origin.

Somewhere along the way the design and manufacture of the brass changed. Then along came more modern firearms with stronger steel. All of this allowed for the .45 Colt to be loaded with smokeless powder to levels never possible or even contemplated with black powder and the Colt SAA at least until Elmer Keith came along.

Elmer blew up his SAA and decided we needed something better and so the .44 Magnum was born. Thats kind of funny because, the birth of the .44 mag in a round about way is what led to the "redevelopment" of the .45 Colt and all it is today.

One could say Elmer even though he abandoned it, actually wound up creating that hotter and heavier .45 Colt he originally started out in pursuit of.

So forget calling it ".45 Colt" or ".45 Long Colt", look it up in any reloading manual and it's further subdivided and listed twice. "Standard / Colt SAA and clones" and "Ruger / TC Only!".

So now what do we call it??? :shock:

Fact is the modern day ".45 Colt" is a newly invented caliber but, the guy who makes up and assigns new calibers names must have been off that day and nobody gave it a new name. Maybe to Claify things way back it should have been renamed ".45 Strong Colt" :lol: .

Simplest way to explain it, If it was software for a computer it would be ".45 Colt Ver. 1.0" and ".45 Colt Ver. 2.0".