VAQ shoots 5" left 5" low at 20 yds 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Looked for post on this back to june can't find SO will Ruger fix this or am I just scr___d. I really don't want to file the sight and I sure as heck don't want to attempt turning the barrell I have tried everything from 185 gr to 300 gr lead all with the same result and also 240 jacketed, all size powder charges also this really sucks at 50-75 yds if ya know what I mean.HELP.

Mike

J Miller

Blackhawk
5 FEET low at 20 yds??? Yikes! I hope that was a typo and you meant 5 inches. Call Ruger's service dept and talk to them.
They are very good at this.

But first, buy some standard .45 Colt ammo such as the R-P or Win 250 -255gr ammo, you know SAAMI spec stuff and have someone else shoot the gun too. Eliminate the variables. If you mention hand loads Ruger will not accept those.

Joe

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hmm, it's a fact that different weight bullets will usually hit the target at different places.

I'd strongly suggest you get some help from a skilled shooter. "A second opinion", so to speak.

Troublesome guns should be fired at rather close range until things begin to get sorted out.

JMHO,

flatgate

tek4260

Buckeye
oldyeller said:
tec yup a righty

Tighten your grip and use the pad of your finger rather than the first joint to pull the trigger. I'd bet you are pushing the revolver to the left. All of my Rugers shot left before I learned how to shoot a revolver. I used a rather loose grip and had too much finger on the trigger. Over the past few years, all of my sights have migrated back to center(with the help of lighter trigger return springs/file work).

Now on shooting low, you are lucky. Pick a load and file away to raise the POI. All of mine needed taller sights, but I do tend to shoot heavy boolits.

cas6969

Buckeye
A lot of people think it means cowboy, but Vaquero is spanish for "low left."

(It would be funny if it wasn't so often true)

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Yup cas I know what ya mean. My shooting buddy( LEfty Grasskey) couldn't believe it when it shot low-left for him too. Iknow I could file down the sight but what would ruger say if I did and sent it back to them to twist the barrel and I had worked the sight over .I can give it more front sight and bring it up but out at 50 yds it is like using artilery rounds I need a spotter for Gods sake. OK now lob one in at 2 feet to the right ok now come back about 7" ok now rt 1".Jeez.

Mike

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Accept this as a given,all Ruger SA pistols are made to shoot low so you can fix the sights after you have picked a load your going to use in that gun.
I will assume you and your friends are pushing the gun to the left when firing it.
If you are using lead bullets the diameter of the bullet should be at least .001 larger than the groove diameter.
Each time you shoot a different weight bullet it will hit in another place.
If you shoot 3 bullets of the same weight all 3 should hit in the same place.
Stop blaming the bullet or the gun its you. Start again using the lightest weight bullet such as a 200 grain and stay with it until you learn how to shoot a RSA pistol.
Making sure the gun is empty practice home some dry firing to learn sight picture and finger control.
The sight picture should be the front blade in the center of the rear sight,you should be able to see a bit of daylight on either side of the blade.
The top of the blade should be equal to the top of the rear sight.
Here comes what your probably doing wrong.
Bring the hammer back.
The pistol is in your hand firmly but not squeezing, the front pad of the trigger finger is on the trigger loosely but not leaning,pressing against the side of the gun, concentrate on this, slowly squeeze the trigger. If your trigger finger leans on the low side of the receiver you will push the shot to the left.
Practice, its easy, forget now about the gun shooting low.
Now, you should be hitting one hole only at 10 yds thats what the gun can do GOOD LUCK Lee

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Lee thanks for the input it really helps I have only been shooting RSA's and DA's since 1958 Got my first Single Six at 10.But really good advice for the novice Like I said early my shootin pard "Lefty Grassley" so named because he is the only lefty that shoots on the team.And he couldn't believe it shot 5" left for him.Once again thanks for the advice guys. Guess I better call Ruger and see how much it's going to cost me.Real bummer is everything is set up dead on as far as alignment and this little puppy has had some good action work done on it,

Mike

soufpaw

Bearcat
Mine was doing the same thing. Tried everything. Obviously I am not one
of the guru's. I would think that with todays lazer's the factory would be
able to make that final adjustment on a "fixed sight" gun before it left
the factory. Don't know how much truth there is to the matter but I
always heard that even back in the 70's colt lazer adjusted the sights
on the detective special back then. I do know that at 50 yards I could
roll a pop can around with both of mine back then.
By the way, I sold the new ruger. My God I miss the old 3 screws.
They still make my heart go pitter patter. We need more lawyers to fix
things that aren't broke.

Soufpaw

Boge

Single-Sixer
soufpaw said:
...Don't know how much truth there is to the matter but I always heard that even back in the 70's colt lazer adjusted the sights
on the detective special back then...

Almost all Det. Spcl. 3rd Gen guns shot either left or low left.

These sighting threads are so tough to call as we never know how good a shot the poster is. I remember about 10 yrs. ago I was at a range and an older fella was having toruble with a BIG BUCKS Wilson 1911 he had just bought. He was shooting way left. I asked if I could shoot it and proceeded to tear the 10 ring to hell at 15yds. Well, he went inside & got the gunsmith who then proceeded to do the same thing as I did and and told him "it's the Indian, not the arrow." :wink: Well, that only pissed him off. See my point?

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Yup see what ya mean .That is when I come over and offer to take the piece of junk off his hands for 1/2 price right???? :twisted:

Mike

scary

Bearcat
sliclee said:
Accept this as a given,all Ruger SA pistols are made to shoot low so you can fix the sights after you have picked a load your going to use in that gun.

Thank you for this thread. My new Bisley Vaquero shot about 4" low at 15 yards. It makes sense to me that Ruger would build them to allow the filing of the sight.

Now I just need to drink a few Guinness and get to work on it with my Swiss Army knife nail file. It should look great and shoot much better in the morning! :lol: