Using Components From Someone Else's Handloads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arctos

Bearcat
I have about 50 .375 H&H cartridges loaded by someone else. I plan to disassemble them, and was hoping to be able to use the components.

I can weigh the bullets, but don't know the brand; is it safe to use load data for another bullet of the same type and weight?

What about the primed cases, when the primers are unknown? Should I discard the primers and reprime the cases?

Thanks.

Chief 101

Hunter
if they are traditional copper jacket lead core hunting bullets you can, using data from reliable sources (such as component manufacturers) start at starting loads and come up with something safe that works. If you are new to reloading I would stay well below max, and, I would hope you are using in a modern firearm of strong construction. Safety is always first. Post a pic of the bullet here as there are a few experienced reloaders that might identify what you have. Don't worry about the primer, no danger with starting loads...I usually save pulled bullets for fireforming and plinking...

Arctos

Bearcat
Chief, thanks for the reply.

I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum.

Here is a photo of the bullets. I have the most of numbers 1 and 2, the 270 grain bullets. There are only a few of each of the others, though I think I have a bag of loose number 4 as well.

This is just a SWAG but I'd say that #7 is a solid(homogenous) and #8 is RWS or Norma (possibly with a "double jacket") both of which would require specific loading data.

DGW1949

Hunter
Take all of the 300 Grn bullets, lay them side by side with their crimp-grooves aligned.
Ya see how how much further into the case some will sit wnen compared to the others?.....What that is telling you is that all else being equal, the loads that use the bullets which sit the futherist inside the cases are going to exhit higher pressures than the ones that don't. And that aint even getting into the differences in bearing surface (think barrel friction here) that exist between various designs of same-weight bullets OR the differences in bullets of like-design that are enginered by different manufactureers.

Does that help answer your question?

DGW