US GOVT Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kwill

Bearcat
The rifle in the attached pictures was recently auctioned on a popular site. Does anyone know when/who/where such a rifle might have shipped?

Thanks,
Kevin Williams
185-75180USGovt3_zps546725fa.jpg

185-75180USGovt1_zpse587a51f.jpg

mt

Single-Sixer
The US Border Patrol had some back in the mid to late 80's, they replaced the old Remington Pump-Action Rifles for a few years until the Border Patrol got issued a bunch of refurbished Marine Corp M16A1's and M14's. I'm pretty sure a lot of Agencies were issued the Ruger during the 80's until the Military got the green light to share equipment with other Agencies.

mt

hittman

Staff member
I also heard some Federal prisons but have no first hand knowledge of that.

mt

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty sure the Bureau of Prisons were using these Rugers. During a Firearms Instructor Course at FLETC in 1988 in which we were assigned "on job training" with various Agencies, I remember BOP were still training with old M1 Carbines and those guns were really wore out. It makes sense they would replace the M1 Carbine with a similar style and size rifle.

mt

kwill

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. If anyone has more specific information I'd love to hear it.

RugerHound

Hunter
By the SN it looks like 1989 vintage... The flash suppressor suggests it's a Mini-14 GB (Gubmint Barrel with suppressor & bayonet mount) I would expect to see other markings on it somewhere if it was part of a contract with some government agency.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Yes,
The U.S. Boarder Patrol, Federal & State prisons , U.S. Postal Service and a few other government agencies bought S.S. gov. models .Some had the folding stock, a 14.5" bbl and single shot, three round burst and full auto .
When I was working for one Private Security company we had a locker full of 14.5",single shot,three round burst, full auto 's with folding stocks.
We used them mostly for guarding H.V.T.'s while transporting them from place to place and in a few Government contracts we had.
Believe it or not on full auto those little rifles were quite a handful to control. An M-4 on full auto is MUCH easier to keep on target.
Lou

Latest posts