Unskilled labor in China being replaced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robes

Single-Sixer
by robotics.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/robot-revolution-sweeps-chinas-factory-floors-33968122

I have seen this coming for 25 yrs. I was working for a company that made transfer tooling for the automotive company. Think of it as the fingers for the robotic arms, complete with sensors that could tell if it picked up more than one blank. The engineers programmed it to "flip off"and it was VERY realistic. I came through the production area and this BIG robotic arm did just that. I laughed so hard I had to kneel... I remember talking to them and they said the same thing,... unskilled labor, WORLD WIDE, better get a skill or education because these robots will become more prolific in the years to come. China's plentiful and cheap labor is now being replaced...

skeeter

Single-Sixer
That right there is the difference. The robot will only flip you off if its told to do so, the employee may flip you off at any time.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
skeeter said:
That right there is the difference. The robot will only flip you off if its told to do so, the employee may flip you off at any time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's great! :D What's even better is our grandson just started his freshman year in the robotics program at college. I think he's probably looking at a bright future. I hope it's not in China though. :wink:

stevemb

Hunter
china has more than unskilled labor. One of the things they've done well, is provide decent education.

Dan in MI

Staff member
stevemb said:
china has more than unskilled labor. One of the things they've done well, is provide decent education.

True, but have you worked with them? The old adage book smart versus street smart applies heavily right now.

stevemb

Hunter
When we lost jobs to them that were min-wage stuff, few blinked. Then a bunch of our skilled labor jobs went... I don't care wether street smart or book smart, they were given favored nation status and our jobs went.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I bet if you opened up one of those robots, you'd find a little Chinaman inside. :wink:

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
When we lost jobs to them that were min-wage stuff, few blinked. Then a bunch of our skilled labor jobs went... I don't care wether street smart or book smart, they were given favored nation status and our jobs went.

You are right Steve. My 27 year old, Industrial Instrumentation and Control Technician job went to China. It didn't bother me much because I was ready to retire anyway. But there were other techs where I worked who were a long ways from retirement, and their jobs went to China too.

I apologize if my making light of the situation offended you. It's not really a laughing matter to a lot of people. :(

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
Not a laughing matter for me, but yeah ok, a chuckle here !

I know it isn't for many people, but sometimes your only choice is to laugh or cry. :wink:

trebor44

Single-Sixer
Jobs in America, both skilled and unskilled have been and still are outsourced to the "cheap labor" countries. This has been the mantra of businesses since the 1950's. A basic accounting class or book will tell you why, it is because the cost of labor is an anathema to a business! Even the lowly 'sign wavers' seen on the streets are being replaces with some form of mechanical or robotic device. But Wall Street and it's minions are doing well! Enjoy the ride while it lasts!! :twisted:

Latest posts