Unlucky groundhog

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I was admiring sixshots & callshots large groundhogs a few weeks ago, and then,,, I found one myself. ok,, I didn't find it, a customer called & complained about a couple of them. Well, I took this large hog with my 17 HMR. Even for our area, this one had lived a nice life,, getting very fat & happy off apples & a garden. There wasn't anyone to get a pic of me with it, so I placed it on the ground next to my trk tire for comparrison. That's my Ruger M77 17HMR with it too.
This g-hog was definately bigger than most of the ones I usually see.

g-hog.jpg

callshot

Blackhawk
Very nice, but why did you have to use a rifle. :wink: I would hate getting kilt with a rifle. :roll: I guess you use what ever you have to get the job done. Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I use the rifle because I get paid for results. It's sportin' when I hunt with a handgun, but when it comes to my paycheck, I want to make sure I collect!!!! It was a very big hog and if it hadn't been hot, dark etc when I got home, I'd put him on a set of scales. As it was, the flies were very busy in a short time on him. I buried him as quickly as I could.

americal

Hunter
IF you gonna get kilt it miles well be by a Ruger fan with a Ruger rifle :) WAY to go contender---seeing more of them in north Alabama lately --back when soy beans were king ,they infested this area in the 80's------

contender

Ruger Guru
This big old hog was undermining a wall area of a house, along with a friend. He made the mistake of letting me see him,, with a Ruger in my hands.

Cholo

Staff member
Americal, I'm seeing more of them now that soybeans are being planted again in NW GA. I thought the coyotes had them under control. I just might take to the fields after 30 years.

Yup, don't know a single person who likes them. Cattle farmers hate them because of the holes that break cows legs. I found 2 dead cows in a ditch once. Soybean farmers hate them because I read a single groundhog can eat 8 bushells of beans per season.

All that aside, they're just plain fun to shoot! :D

americal

Hunter
WOW :!: Cholo I brought the killer instinct out of you :lol: --We use to shoot them back in the 1980's had a rest on top of a truck --the rifle used by my buddies --well it was dangerous just shake the gun and it would go off--one guy walked off a 600 yd. shot he made on a big one ---not me just went along for the ride :)

contender

Ruger Guru
We have plenty of g-hogs around here. I start seeing them about feburary, and have seen them out & about as late as november. I was on the way to a bat inspection yesterday, on a BUSY 4 lane road with turn lanes etc in the middle of the day when I spied a juvenile g-hog step off the curb, in front of 3 lanes of parked traffic. I never saw him cross in front of the truck I was behind. But, as the light changed, he bolted as the cars he'd been hiding under started moving. He didn't make it.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Nice shot contender. It almost looks like you'd need a .22 WMR with a solid to get enough penetration on that fat-boy. By the end of season you may need to brush off the '06 with some 220 gr slugs...

Over the last few years I've noticed quite the suburban groundhog population.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Nice! Those hogs will decimate a field of soy beans. A few years ago, I shot 6 over the course of a week in my neighbor's field. They had already eaten about 1/2 acre.
I used a .243 with 55 grain ammo; but I bet that .17 is even more fun!

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, good job on that garden muncher! They can devour a lot of groceries in a hurry......kind of like Callshot. Ours have been down for a few weeks now, they sleep about 8 months in our area.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick, around here they are out a lot longer than out there. (We poor easterners say it's due to the short growing season accompanied by a soft white blanket that y'all have!)
He was a huge one compared to most I get. he was an older one and really was enjoying the apples & garden of the old guy who hired me. Can ya imagine getting paid to shoot hogs? :D Well, SOMEBODY has to do it.