Ultralight Blackpowder Cap and Ball Loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
I just acquired an Old Army vintage 1974 from Bruce Hall. If summer will ever get here (where is Algore when you need him?) I want to experiment with light loads. My one blackpowder book mentions loads as light as 15 grains of black powder plus enough cream of wheat to get to about 45 grains BP equivalent.

I live in an area of 5 acre spreads. Houses are just close enough that I don't normally shoot on my property because of the noise.

I am hoping to develop a light, quiet, accurate load for the ROA that I can kill tin cans with in my yard without annoying my neighbors (all four of them).

Does anyone here have any experience with 5 or 10 grain loads?

I know this is a 'long shot'.

John

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
At the risk of showing my ignorance - why would you use a filler (the cream of wheat) in a cap and ball revolver? Don't you just ram the ball down on top of the powder charge no matter what the size of the charge is?
I mean, that's what I do when I'm shooting my muzzle loader. I always thought the idea was to not have any empty space between the powder charge and the ball, or bullet in a black powder firearm. :?:

SAJohn

Hunter
Sharp Shooter, The Ruger Old Army rammer reaches only about half way down the cylinder bore. Also, you can add lube underneath the ball, where it does more good, without contaminating the blackpowder. An added benefit with the cream of wheat is that it smells like you are cooking breakfast - the BP adds that nice brimstone aroma. (Love that smell of gunpowder in the morning.) :)

John

SAJohn

Hunter
Just in case anyone else is interested, I tried 15 grains of blackpowder with about 25 grains BP equivalent volume of cream of wheat. Way too much noise for a backyard firearm. :(