Type 2 serial number range?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
This ad piqued my interest a few months ago and again today.

weaselmeatgravy said:
I got this BKH34 flattop back in 2012 and it was discussed in the Collectibles section with general agreement that it is the highest known example of the Type 2A transition variation, which is a type 2 in all respects except still retains the type 1 base pin with narrow lands/grooves. The type 2 is known as low as 9304 and the combination of parts used was a random occurrence due to the "parts bin" assembly process. Previously known high number for this type was 11588. About 1800 of this variation were made.

I have a type 2 (as far as I can tell) with a serial number well below 9000 (85xx).
Here is what I can ID being a shooter not collector.
Flat top - 1957?
Micro sight
Straight ft sight serrations
type 2 EJRH -Dougan pg 68
type 2 EJR -Dougan pg 68
Front sight base - .373" wide
Fairly certain narrow groove base pin. (can't find ID pics now) Definitely narrower than my protected sight gun

What do I have?

The Type 2s on Bob's List begin in the 73XX range, late in 1956.

The 85XX begin to show up in mid-1957.

Type 3s begin to show up at 17XXX late in 1958.

IMHO you have a Type 2. :mrgreen:

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK so Bob's note about 9300 being the low end is incorrect. Of course, that's my luck I don't have a rare one. :lol:

I do think it's a 2A though as I'm 99% it has the narrow grooves.

Thanks

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So Bob's note (from my ad) and Bob's list are two different Bobs.

My note about 9304 being low end of Type 2 is taken from the RENE Reference. Type 2A guns were generally earlier than plain Type 2, though the ranges overlap like most of the ranges collectors have defined by observing parts evolution. The difference being that they were still using up Type 1 base pins during the "transition" period of the 2A.

Here is that section of the RENE Reference:

RENE Ref said:
BKH-34 Type 2A transition flattop. Has long-throw offset ejector rod housing, non-serrated front sight base, early style cylinder base pin (with narrow lands) and large concave faced ("dimpled") ejector rod button. Known s/n range 7407 to at least 9521, but s/n's 9923, 9935, 10369 and 11588 are also a later "parts bin" guns that have this style base pin. About 1,800 made. Scarce.

BKH-34. Type 2 flattop. Has long-throw offset ejector rod housing, non serrated front sight base, cylinder base pin with wide lands and large concave faced ("dimpled") ejector rod button. Known s/n range 9304 to 18963 (including s/n 15023, which under normal circumstances should have been a "Ross" variety gun. See three paragraphs previous to this). Quantities: About 8,500 made.

If, as you say, your gun has the narrow groove base pin and is 85xx, you probably do have a type 2A. Hope that helps.

For further clarification, Bob's List never went into the more subtle type distinctions, meaning that it does not make a distinction between the Type 2 and Type 2A guns. I always defer in questions like these to RENE and pros like WMG.

You just have to remember that things like ejector rods and housings, base pins, rear sights, and even grip frames were considered "screwdriver variation" parts to Bob. :wink: