Turning a 77/44 into a "Garden Gun."

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PJR

Bearcat
A "Garden Gun" is a subgauge shotgun meant for the quiet elimination of small pests such as squirrels or birds at short range. I've never been impressed with patterns from a rifled-barrel but was wondering if it would be possible or advisable to have a smith bore out a 77/44 and turn it into a "shotgun" for use with .44 magnum shot cartridges. Anyone done it? Thoughts?

wwb

Hunter
Not sure what the barrel length is on a 77/44, but if you convert it to a smoothbore and the barrel is under 18" from boltface to muzzle, you have just commited a SERIOUS federal offense.

That said, a reamer of the proper diameter with a leading pilot would take care of the rifling in very short order.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
I wouldn't ruin a 77/44 by doing that. For the use you describe, a good airgun will work even better. Or perhaps a cheap .410 shotgun.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
PJR said:
A "Garden Gun" is a subgauge shotgun meant for the quiet elimination of small pests such as squirrels or birds at short range. I've never been impressed with patterns from a rifled-barrel but was wondering if it would be possible or advisable to have a smith bore out a 77/44 and turn it into a "shotgun" for use with .44 magnum shot cartridges. Anyone done it? Thoughts?

I'd prefer buying a single shot shotgun or a bolt action shotgun in 410. The 77/44 isn't exactly cheap to start with, boring out the barrel will cost a few $$$ too.

If you'd really like something handy, small and different how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByrKFWqdJ4

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
For close range "garden" work why not just use a 44 shot shell in the 77/44 as it is and be done with it. You aren't going to hurt the gun and it will pattern more than good enough at close range.

PJR

Bearcat
Were I to try this it would be only after I bought a second 77/44. I've tried the shot shells in my current rifle and they don't pattern particularly well much beyond a few feet. Perhaps a .410 would be a better option.

toysoldier

Hunter
I believe that boring out the rifling would give a poor pattern. .22 smoothbores are bored to land diameter, not groove diameter.
A .22 shotgun is VERY quiet. My Winchester Model 67 a delight, and, in the hands of my elderly cousin's wife, accounted for a lot of garden-raidng birds.
BTW, Cricket Rifles says they are producing a .22 smoothbore, but it isn't on their website.

Joe S.

Hunter
H&r single shot
Mossberg pump
Rossi circuit judge
Taurus judge

I'll buy you a mossberg and trade for the 77/44 if ya like. :)

Latest posts