Trying to load up on reloading supplies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Was in town yesterday and found 1 ctn of WLP for $49.95. Ridiculous. At that price I only bought 4 boxes, that'll do me a couple three months with what I have on hand. Still no H-110....(or even my favorite bullet lube!) :cry: Dennis (Better keep your whereabouts a secret SBH4628 :lol: )

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jeff H":24f5ka93 said:
a while ago and seem to remember 10k being the supposed max in a residence.

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which is more dangerous, that 10k primers in the house, or the gallon of gasoline for the lawnmower in the garage?

I dunno... but have heard the gas might be worse.

Rick C

Hi Rick,
According to insurance adjustors, and the fire fighting academy- One gallon of gas is equal to 20 sticks of dynamite in explosive value. Of course the proper oxygen/fuel mixture to obtain that.
gramps

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":3l2g2s0y said:
Was in town yesterday and found 1 ctn of WLP for $49.95. Ridiculous. At that price I only bought 4 boxes, that'll do me a couple three months with what I have on hand. Still no H-110....(or even my favorite bullet lube!) :cry: Dennis (Better keep your whereabouts a secret SBH4628 :lol: )
Come get some Dennis :D Always willing to help a guy out......Also have some H110 :p

If you waited until now to "stock up" you're out of luck. Regarding the availability of some components in smaller shops: when the big internet stores have 500,000 primers on backorder, the local dealer's backorder won't get filled for quite a while. There are some primers on the auctions and some aren't terribly overpriced but the shipping cost is rough. I'm within driving distance of both Midway and Grafs so I pick up rather than pay the hazmat theft.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie":kmsgpno9 said:
Could try the wolf ones, but not that desperate yet.
I've been doing the wolf in LP. they go bang every time, I've used about 2K of them. but they are harder to seat then federal and winchesters.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Rclark":6qgs8qx2 said:
Now that I'd like to see.... Primers aren't that sensitive.... Nor or they equivalent to a stick of dynamite when they do go off....

They may not be dynamite, but the mixture is a HE (High Explosive) that is used in military ordinance. The stuff is pressure sensitive, so if a spark won't set them off, a shock will and the rest will sympathetically detonate if nearby. And...if the gun powder is next to them, like the pic shows, it will flash up and burn hotter than h#ll. To put it simply, I wouldn't want to be in the room next to one where something like that would take place.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its not like they spontaneously explode...

I let 6000 primers go here in November for $60/1000... I kinda felt bad asking that much, but that was the shipped price and I sold them within 1 day of posting the ad. I still have about 50k on hand and 125lbs of powder. If there is ever a fire at my house the FD better just sit back and watch the fireworks. :)

Buying in bulk usually saves a bunch and using one powder for multiple cartridges really helps cut down on extra canisters.

Rclark

Hunter
The stuff is pressure sensitive
Now what is going to put pressure on them? :) . Take quite a 'shock' I think. I've dropped 'em onto cement, stepped on 'em and never once had a pop. Remember when you set a primer in the case, you actually squeeze it into the pocket. The anvil then is 'set' with some 'tension' against the mixture on the final 'squeeze'. Then it still takes the smack of the firing pin to set it off. In my lever 30-30, the bullets (flat nose) are right up against the primer in the loading tube. Every shot gives the primer quite a 'shock' yet don't go off. That said, I still would not store my powder with my primers. In fact, in my workshop, the powder is stored on the left wall in a cabinet, and the primers on the right wall in a drawer. About as far from each other as you can get in the area... plus behind doors as I do other things besides reload in the workshop. :)

Matt, 125lb of powder? Lucky you :D . I've been just trying to find an 8lb jug of Unique. Been holding up ok though, as I seem to manage to find a 1lb jug when I need it.... so far.

bigchillymn

Bearcat
The reloading components have really loosened up in central mn the last few months. I think every place I've been the last couple of months has had a good supply of primers and powder. The price varies widely, 30 a brick at the smaller shops to 54 at Gander. Powder from 20 a lb at mom and pops to 27 at GM. The one thing now that is a little on the short side are the bullets

BGVFD1502

Bearcat
mattsbox99 wrote:
If there is ever a fire at my house the FD better just sit back and watch the fireworks.

We were in a house one night fighting a fire ( no one home to warn us) and the gun room lit up. We were in high speed reverse getting out. It was quite exciting. Sounded like a war going on inside that room. Sure was a shame. It was deer season, it was his old house on his hunting farm and they lost 7 rifles and a whole lot of ammo. They say turnout gear will hold off a round that is not chambered, glad nothing hit us that night. Talking about a adrenliine rush I sure had one.

edlmann

Blackhawk
I_Like_Pie":1b615i5k said:
. . . the 10,000 reserve on pistol primers is getting really, really low....starting to get worried. Could try the wolf ones, but not that desperate yet.

I've not read or heard any adverse reports on Wolf primers.

I think the reputation of the cheaper centerfire ammo taints the entire product line. Remember, Wolf is one of the industry leaders in .22 target ammo.

rwnielsen

Bearcat
demo_slug":2gkzi5ee said:
I_Like_Pie":2gkzi5ee said:
Could try the wolf ones, but not that desperate yet.
I've been doing the wolf in LP. they go bang every time, I've used about 2K of them. but they are harder to seat then federal and winchesters.

I bought 2k Wolf SP to try out and I can't seat them in new starline 357 brass with my hand primer, had to resort to the 650 and cringe every time I push the handle back. I normally hand prime all the magnum stuff but these are a tight fit. It may be easier the second time around on the brass

Latest posts