Trying to load up on reloading supplies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCMountains

Bearcat
Well finding primers have been a task for sure. Finally found a supplier with quite a few CCI small primer #500 in stock. They limited customers to only 2 packs of 1000 count. Guess I could order again in a day or so if I needed to stock pile them or wait until this shipment comes in.

I just purchased some Hornady XTP Bullets 38 Caliber 125 Grain JHP's. Also got 2 lbs. Vithtavuori 3N37 powder (seemed to get great reviews from reloaders).

The load manaul states the start grains of 6.3 should achieve about 994 fps with this load. Looking for a decent hot round.

Waiting for contender to finish deer hunting so I can get a tutorial or reloading. Been reading my Lee manual and trying to get myself up to speed as best as possible.

Oh well.............gotta go.

contender

Ruger Guru
It seems that many dealers seem to be getting only certain types of primers. And only in limited numbers. I know of a dealer who has Lge Pistol primers,, but can't get Sm rifle at all, and another one who has sm rifle but no pistol primers at all. It seems like a lot of funny business to me!
Glad to hear you got some supplies. As for the Vita 3N37 powder,, they do make a lot of good powders. Many competitors use the VV powders. We'll be able to work up something for sure!!!

gmaske

Bearcat
contender":1ium417n said:
It seems that many dealers seem to be getting only certain types of primers. And only in limited numbers. I know of a dealer who has Lge Pistol primers,, but can't get Sm rifle at all, and another one who has sm rifle but no pistol primers at all. It seems like a lot of funny business to me!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that smells FISH! Somehow the whole thing doesn't quite add up for me anyway.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yes, and I can order .44 Special brass from Midway (sometimes) or Starline directly, but my dealer, who has supposedly had an order in for 6+ months, still hasn't gotten any. Lots of powders one week, then nothing for a month.

It's a weird world out there right now.

-- Sam

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Some one say "Primers" :D Sorry Guys just had to do it :shock:
378401577.jpg

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
SBH4628":1fwmuxq3 said:
378401577.jpg

There's a smart man, Stockpiled while he could. I remember when I got into reloading about 3 yrs ago, primers at the local MC sports were 1.89$/100.
And lots too... :cry: SHould've stocked up. Now I just paid 4.99$/100 but at least I got a couple thousands now.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
stare-decisis":3i4gsxs8 said:
SBH4628":3i4gsxs8 said:
378401577.jpg

There's a smart man, Stockpiled while he could. I remember when I got into reloading about 3 yrs ago, primers at the local MC sports were 1.89$/100.
And lots too... :cry: SHould've stocked up. Now I just paid 4.99$/100 but at least I got a couple thousands now.
We have a MC Sports here...Sad to say ,I have more then they ever have/had......On guns and reloading :shock:

Jeff H

Bearcat
SBH4628":1dp35e4b said:
Charon":1dp35e4b said:
Does your fire insurance carrier know about all those primers?
Kinda...No :D

Not that anyone really pays attention to this but:

IIRC I was reading one of those storage and handling papers for primers and powder (maybe in a reloading manual but I really forget where I saw it) a while ago and seem to remember 10k being the supposed max in a residence.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Jeff H":370veik9 said:
SBH4628":370veik9 said:
Charon":370veik9 said:
Does your fire insurance carrier know about all those primers?
Kinda...No :D

Not that anyone really pays attention to this but:

IIRC I was reading one of those storage and handling papers for primers and powder (maybe in a reloading manual but I really forget where I saw it) a while ago and seem to remember 10k being the supposed max in a residence.
Thanks for the info..This is the back of my garage,not the residence :D

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Scored 1000 Large rifle primers last night. $28. Was grinning from ear to ear.

That many rifle loads will last me a while. But the 10,000 reserve on pistol primers is getting really, really low....starting to get worried. Could try the wolf ones, but not that desperate yet.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
DGW1949":17gjwuiu said:
The last time I saw a brick of WLP's for sale, they was marked $55. :shock:

DGW

I bought some WLP's yesterday for $28 so it looks like it is not the manufacturers that are doing the price gouging. Some dealers are a little more honest than others

Bucks Owin

Hunter
twobisquit":2vr8t0to said:
DGW1949":2vr8t0to said:

DGW

I bought some WLP's yesterday for $28 so it looks like it is not the manufacturers that are doing the price gouging. Some dealers are a little more honest than others
Where did you get my favorite primer for that price? Hope you're right....Dennis (who wishes he lived near SBH4628! :wink: )

hutchman

Blackhawk
We have a store with a new gun section here in town. They seem to be able to get more supplies and ammo than anyone. Their prices are resonable.......not cheap but reasonable. I try to buy a good portion of my stuff from them....and as far as guns.....crap, they have a bunch of my money this year.

I don't know if they try harder or just have more money for stock than the other guys!

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin":1aq0zgpa said:
twobisquit":1aq0zgpa said:
DGW1949":1aq0zgpa said:

DGW

Where did you get my favorite primer for that price? Hope you're right....Dennis (who wishes he lived near SBH4628! :wink: )

Dennis- I got some WLP's at Glenrock Componets in Glenrock Wyoming. They are a small shop but have mountains of primers and powder of all kinds. I asked the owner if he ships out and he said he "does not like to."
I also picked up 4 boxes of the elusive .380 ACP for $12.15 a box.

I paid $39.00 for 1000 WLP the other day. Thats only $4.00 more than I paid in jan. for the same.
I see a FEW more primers now but powder is hit and miss. I get on the phone and start calling around.
Eric