Trimming Single Six mainspring coils. how many?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger36

Bearcat
Tallbald- Ive done just about everything to them , cut coils one at a time ,and then streched the spring , from gun to gun some have a stiffer hammer pull . If you cut coils have an extra spare you might not like what you end up with .Just a little story that happend to me quite a few years back , out hunting setting in the middle seat between two other guys, gun in a holster at my side with a tie down it was a bumpy road looked down my ruger was cocked was thinking boy I wish I had a stiffer spring [NO] more riding in a car or truck with a gun on my hip .on a hunting gun I;d rather have a stiff hammer spring and 3 to 4# trigger pull, but thats just me . Good luck with what ever you do

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
its not to do with the hammer spring, but i have the little Talo birdshead BlackBird, i dropped 1 leg of the trigger spring off the post that holds it to lighten trigger pull, then the trigger would not reset after firing. works fine on my blackhawks but not on this single six. __bedrockfred

Hondo44

Hawkeye
bedrockfred,

I have experienced that on some Rugers as well. I traced it to a 'fat' transfer bar or a rough surface on the bar or a combination of both. If the transfer bar is too fat it puts a drag on the trigger return. Some have reported transf bar breakage from being pinched too hard every time the hammer falls. Slimming the bar should resolve the problem, also make the transf bar safer and last longer.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
bedrockfred,

I have experienced that on some Rugers as well. I traced it to a 'fat' transfer bar or a rough surface on the bar or a combination of both. If the transfer bar is too fat it puts a drag on the trigger return. Some have reported transf bar breakage from being pinched too hard every time the hammer falls. Slimming the bar should resolve the problem, also make the transf bar safer and last longer.

Good call! I learned some time ago to polish the transfer bar and its contact surfaces to a mirror polish. It goes a long way to smoothing up the action. I do the same with the hammer, hammer strut, mainspring seat and the pawl. This is SOP for all Ruger single-actions. Only after doing all that do I look into the springs. Usually, the polishing is all I need, except for an occasional a lighter trigger spring. Lightening the mainspring makes no sense to me, specially in a rimfire gun. All it gives you is misfires.

Latest posts