Trigger question with picture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
A few years ago I bought a mint Number 1 in 30-06. I've used it for deer hunting the last few years and love the rifle. The only thing that was not mint on the rifle was the trigger, which had something done to it, but I don't know what. To this day, the marks on the trigger bug me. Can anybody tell me what caused this?

HPIM0024-1.jpg

CP

Bearcat
ndcowboy said:
A few years ago I bought a mint Number 1 in 30-06. I've used it for deer hunting the last few years and love the rifle. The only thing that was not mint on the rifle was the trigger, which had something done to it, but I don't know what. To this day, the marks on the trigger bug me. Can anybody tell me what caused this?

HPIM0024-1.jpg

I would guess that it once had a trigger shoe mounted on it. CP.

ei: http://www.t-grips.com/TriggerShoeHomepage1.html

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^^^
On the Birchwood, I've noticed the Aluminium Black is hit or miss - if the metal surface has oxidized it's mostly miss, but worth a try. If the blacking doesn't work on this a black sharpie may be OK, I've use Brownells Acraglass dyed black on one because the steel screws bite into the alloy trigger. A small dab, cleaned up when it's pliant and not sticky, fills and covers.

You could always remount a shoe of course.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I didn't even know what a trigger shoe was until these posts - thanks for the info. I've been kicking around putting a whole different trigger in the rifle, but might try a touch up.
Thanks again for the info!

picketpin

Buckeye
What is the serial numer/age of your rifle?

If it's post 1980,with a 2 screw trigger, there are probably a few laying around here. I could send you one, withot marks if you'd like.

PM me a address.

As far as replacements, there's the original 3 screw, if you can find one, Moyers makes a copy of the original 3 screw. Canjar used to make a real nice single set but their out of business. There are a couple of customs and the Keplinger.

The Keplinger is the Cadilac of #1 triggers but is spendy.

Ross

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Picketpin,
Thanks for the great offer - but if I replace it, I'm going to go with an custom trigger to get the weight down - it is pretty stiff right now.
Thanks again for the great offer. This board is always above and beyond!

I never knew about trigger shoes either... interesting thing about the first link is no where on the seller's web sight do they explain exactly what their trigger shoes do. I guess you are supposed to just know the benefits of one.

So, what exactly do these things do?

pulaski

Single-Sixer
blume357 ,
From what I have been lead to understand , the trigger shoe gives a larger bearing surface for your finger , giving the sensation of a lighter trigger pull than the actual .
I know a couple of old timers up in the north who like them . They claim better feel in the cold and a lighter feel to the trigger pull .
Steve

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
NDCowboy the Moyer Trigger can worked into a pretty good trigger. I believe it is also the most economical alternative for improving the #1 tigger pull!