Trigger kit for 10/22 at reasonable price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I bought a trigger kit years ago for my 10/22. I can't remember exactly what it cost, but best of my memory it was less than $20. Included new hammer, shims, spring, everything I needed. Worked great and it still is in that gun. Well, I just bought another 10/22, and the other trigger has me spoiled, cause the factory trigger still sucks! After surfing the net for an hour or so, I can't find anything anywhere near that price. Most everything I am running across costs $60 on up! Do any of you guys know of a decent kit for a decent price?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Kit to me means hammer, sear, and all the springs/shims. If you want $20 range, you can find just a hammer and springs in the $30-40 range.

F-111 John

Bearcat
How much was a gallon of gasoline "years ago" when you bought the first kit? How much is a gallon today?

If you're talking from mid 1980s then $20 to $60 isn't outrageous.

Here's a selection of trigger kits from Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/1/3/10-22-trigger-kit

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Volquartsen hammer is the simplest, cheapest and probably the most bang for the buck if you just wanna decrease the letoff. The Power Custom adjustable sear kit is also very good coupled with their trigger but costs more.

gunman42782

Hunter
Thanks guys. Guess I am getting too old. I know everything costs an arm and a leg anymore.

I went with a Power Custom kit from Brownells.

agksimon

Bearcat
Why not read up on how to do your own trigger job on the factory parts? I did my own by using a diamond file and then stoning the hammer, where it contacts the sear and brought the break down to three pounds of pull and very cleanly, with very little pre-travel. The whole job only took a little over an hour.

My goal this year was to learn how to improve the trigger on the 10/22.... I've printed out several articles on it.... and after putting the hammer in my vice and trying to polish that little notch on the back.... I've pretty much decided $50 or so dollars for a Volquartsen kit isn't that bad.... the instructions I was going by said that once you got it down right it would only take 6-8 hours to do it right...

What is the difference between this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=163143 from Midfway and
this: https://www.volquartsen.com/products/201-target-hammer-for-1022-and-1022-magnum from Volquartsen? It appears to be the same item but the Midway price is much less thant the OEMs model.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
That has always been true for VQ, and many other parts. VQ would prefer to sell Midway items by the pallet rather than one at a time. At least that is my guess.

I just put a scale on a new 1998 10/22. Average of 6 pulls was 5# 4oz, with the lowest being 4#14oz

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
gunman42782 said:
I went with a Power Custom kit from Brownells.

Did you get the hammer and adjustable sear kit? They have a few different kits. If you got the adjustable sear you can drill a hole in the bottom of the factory trigger to adjust the sear. Much easier then taking it apart 50 times to turn a little bit at a time.

IMG_0173.jpg

I also drilled and tapped a hole in the trigger for an over travel screw. Now I have very little take up, light trigger with clean break, and no over travel.