Transfer Bar Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one eye joe

Bearcat
I have to send my Black Hawk in for service. The Ruger Rep. said that they would want to convert it to the transfer bar system, in addition to whatever other work it required. SHOULD I ALLOW THEM TO CONVERT MY GUN ? ? What are the pros & cons ? ?

pisgah

Buckeye
They will insist upon the conversion if you send it in. Period. Just be sure they return your original parts so it can be reconverted in the future if you want.

There is one advantage -- the hammerblock version is a safer revolver. I know, I know -- the old version, properly used, is perfectly safe. But the hammerblock guns can be carried fully-loaded and abolutely cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Some dislike the trigger feel of the conversions. To me, they do feel a bit heavier, but are not as heavy or different-feeling as the New Models.

Some folks remove the critical parts before sending a gun back to Ruger. This guarantees you can either re-install them if you so desire or just hang on to them for collector's value sake.

:)

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
Some folks remove the critical parts before sending a gun back to Ruger. This guarantees you can either re-install them if you so desire or just hang on to them for collector's value sake.

:)

I definitely would remove mine before ever sending it in to Ruger,
there have been far too many cases of them NOT returning your
original parts despite their assertions to the contrary.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Why ... do you HAVE to send it back to Ruger? What kind of service does it need?

There are a bunch of really good Ruger smiths that are known to folks on this forum that I'd send my UNcorrupted Old Model Ruger to BEFORE I'd send it back to Ruger.

Just saying .....

Joe

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I know I wouldn't send mine in and have it converted. Tell us the issue and maybe someone here can help point you in a non-converting direction. Shame to have another OM get a transfer bar.

one eye joe

Bearcat
I can't extract spent cases. Had the chambers polished--same problem. Gun is squeaky clean. Bought it used to shoot up some MilSurp ammo. Have tried many brands of ammo--no luck. Maybe I should simply purchase a new cylinder from Ruger ? ? I was hoping to have the problem remedied under warrantee, BUT I don't want to ruin the collector value or disfigure this fine old revolver. It's cosmetically flawless with none of that warning script on it........

G2

Hunter
Sounds like a 30 carbine??

Ruger will not just sell you a cylinder, it has to be installed by them.

Not to say you can't find another cylinder on the open market.

flatgate

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73 said:
I know I wouldn't send mine in and have it converted. ............. Shame to have another OM get a transfer bar.

Sheesh, simply remove the ENTIRE LOCKWORK prior to shipping the gun....even the base pin.

Me? I pull out the lockwork and install a "transfer bar kit" out of my parts box prior to sending an Old Model in for service. :D

flatgate

Before I'd send it back, I'd try talking to the service department. They might be able to offer a suggestion to avoid a return.

Not a huge chance, but what the heck. Nothing to lose.

;)

30 carbine is famous for this. Surplus ammo is thicker walled and a bit to long. If you don't reload keep polishing on the chambers. You can try some 400 paper on a dowell. With cast the throats are a problem. If you reload just watch the trim length and that is a big help. Reloading is the way to go. Shooting 32-20 is even better but you can't do it with a OM cyl. very easily. You can fit a NM cyl. and your good to go.
For what it will cost to send it to ruger and the cost of the cyl. which will be a NM? you might look for a gunsmith who can clean up the chambers.
Keep polishing you'll get it. :lol:
Eric

one eye joe

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll take the weapon to a competent local smith and have him ream the chambers. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how large I can go ? ? I don't want a NM cylinder or altered lockwork, so Ruger Customer Service is out of the question..........