Toklat ?'s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gman82001

Single-Sixer
Hey guys I just purchased a new toklat 454 and was loading up some 45 colts for it and my vaquero and noticed a couple things.

First I load .452 lead RN for the vaquero but I load .454 lead RN for my Rossi 92 lever gun I dropped a bullet in the cylinders and the .452 was able to freely pass through 3 of the 6 should I be stepping up to .453 or even the .454 in this toklat?

2nd I pulled the grips to see how my other after market sets looked and felt on it and the silver aluminum "plug" that came with my aftermarket grips is too big to go through the frame hole. I've had these grips on both my gp100 as well as a 44 Alaskan I just sold to step up to the toklat. Is this a different frame? I was under the understanding the Alaskan and gp100 and toklat could all share the same grips. Thanks for the help in advance

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That depends, it will be safe as long as the loads will chamber. Accuracy with one size bullet compared to the other is something you will only discover by testing them on a target.

gman82001

Single-Sixer
Ok they all chamber just fine I was more worried about excessive leading with the .452's was all

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Some of the older guns had grip studs that were very tight around the grip locator pin/plug. People reamed them out a little to fit the pins.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A cast bullet of reasonable alloy will bump up to fill the throats in most .45 Colt loadings but possibly real soft cowboy loads. Leading should not be an issue and certainly the Toklat can take the most powerfull loads listed for the Colt round.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
On the grip locator/support pin, it's not the "older" SRH's that are offending, it's newer production since the conversion to Hogue grips. Either ream out the pin hole to proper size, or use a replacement pin.

I personally use 2 380acp cases, one cut in half, as my grip locator pins on small port SRH's.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Varminterror said:
On the grip locator/support pin, it's not the "older" SRH's that are offending, it's newer production since the conversion to Hogue grips. .
You're right. I should have said older GP-100's, which of course use the same grip stud, were very tight. :?

gman82001

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
On the grip locator/support pin, it's not the "older" SRH's that are offending, it's newer production since the conversion to Hogue grips. Either ream out the pin hole to proper size, or use a replacement pin.

I personally use 2 380acp cases, one cut in half, as my grip locator pins on small port SRH's.

Ahhh that explains it I'll see if I can score a few 380 cases and give that a try I don't really want to try and ream it if I can help it ... Thanks guys sounds like these are both minor issues and nothing I need to overthink too much

Varminterror

Blackhawk
E1129E82-A3B3-45B5-9802-55ACD7D121BF_zpsijwcok51.jpg

Goes without saying - it's the one on the left. 5.5" Super Redhawk with slab side barrel.

Latest posts