Tips on Using a Chronograph

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure this is the best category in which to post this but, since it seems the chronograph would be of most interest to reloaders, here goes.

I have never used a chronograph but, now that I'm getting more serious with my reloading, I want to.

I shoot at a managed range. I know they're chronograph-friendly because they have one for rent.

My questions have to do with setting it up in the limited time between shooting sessions - and also its relationship to a target.

When using a Chronograph, do people even bother with a target? I ask because it would seem smartest to pay attention to where your bullet is flying above the chronograph and under its light diffusers.

If using targets, my practice has been to staple four 8-1/2 x 11 targets to the target board. That gets me four groups per shooting session. But I'm concerned that not all four of those targets are going to fall within the chronograph's available "space."

Any tips on when/how to set up a chronograph - and use it - will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I have used a chrono and a target once in a while, but generally concern myself w/ keeping the bullet in the right place relative to the screens (don't ask why there's black electrical tape on one of my screens.) So the target comes later.

It's much easier to set up a chrono/target combo if you have two people, one to "spot" from the shooting station (by eyeball, don't be pointing a gun at anyone!), the other to align the target. If your range is run like mine, the spotter will have to stay behind the safety line during line breaks, so it may take a time or two to get it right...

Rick C

WESHOOT2

Hunter
When new to chronographing I set a target behind the screens and established an 'aim point' on the target as to avoid shooting the screens.

I suggest that ^.

unter1

Bearcat
Dont use them but one guy had his friend shoot thru his. The shooter hit the arms of the screen. Not really a big deal. A few weeks later the friend shot right thru the base.

The owner was a bit miffed but could see the humor in it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've used my chrono for many years without ever shooting a screen with a bullet. I always use a single target as an aiming point.
If you need more than one target for testing, use a single target, larger than the others, (18" vs 12", or 24" vs 18") to shoot at. Or, I have used a plain piece of white paper, with 2-4 orange dots to shoot at.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE INSIDE THE SCREENS TO ALLOW FOR PROPER AIMING, AND TESTING!
The only time I've ever shot one of my skyscreen bases was when I was testing my archery equipment, and the line of sight vs my arrow flight were too different at such a close distance. The screen still worked with a hole in it.

sp

Single-Sixer
If your range has a chronograph available probably they are not using flourescent lighting. My chronograph has an advisory that flourescent lighting is out and I would expect that would go for other chronographs.

When shooting outside in bright light it is important to use a skyscreen.

I have a real cheap chrony that I have used for years and have not yet completely destroyed. I try to coordinate use of the chrony with accuracy testing by shooting at a target. When that is not possible I crank down my variable scope to its lowest power and compensate for the distance between the scope and bore line. When using higher fixed power scopes I take off the scope and just aim over the receiver.

The only mishap that I have had was when I was using a fixed 16X scope and hit one of the rods that supported the sky screen. :oops: I replaced the rod with coat hanger wire (when we had steel coat hangers). One bullet skimmed the top of the chrony and that is a reminder to set up things right.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
When new to chronographing I set a target behind the screens and established an 'aim point' on the target as to avoid shooting the screens.

I suggest that ^.

I'm not new to chronos ----- but that's what I still do, also. :D

Mike S

Bearcat
I shoot at a private range,
I use a Laser bore sighter to make sure the bullet "Should" pass thru
with out hitting.
A peice of white paper set behind the wires works well to check this.

I also shoot using a rest for this.

Mike S

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I shoot for groups when using a chronograph. Too cheap to send rounds down range without seeing where they hit. I use a CED Millenium with the IR screens and don't have any issue with changing light conditions. I also have a cord attached to the tripod head to get a consistent distance without having to measure. I also use a 22 pistol to verify operation prior to shooting any centerfire.

Rclark

Hunter
I setup a target at around 15 yards down range. Then adjust the tripod with chrono on top until I can benchrest sight my revolver to the target passing through the 'optimum' area of the chrono. Have pieces of black tape on the arms of the screens to give me the 'area'. Takes a bit of trial and error (walking back and forth) to finally get it just right. Then begin shooting. I settle down like I am shooting for groups. I shoot, write, shoot, write, ... I don't get as good as groups this way. So after the 30 shots downrange for decent data, I go shoot for groups without the chrono. I don't know why, but I shoot better without the chrono between me and the target.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
I don't understand how someone can shoot their chrono....

Hi, Bucks

I have an old Oehler 33: the earlier skyscreens don't have the rods and sunshade most newer models do. They also seem a bit less sensitive than the Chrony my buddy brings out now and again. Makes it bit trickier to get the bullet in the right area.

Oehler sold a lot of replacement cases for those screens back when... ;)

Rick C

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I literally shot my skyscreens with five of the six in the cylinder when developing a 395g 45 Colt 'heavy' load.

I think I had my eyes closed for each shot.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
soldernut said:
My questions have to do with setting it up in the limited time between shooting sessions - and also its relationship to a target.

When using a Chronograph, do people even bother with a target? I ask because it would seem smartest to pay attention to where your bullet is flying above the chronograph and under its light diffusers.

Any tips on when/how to set up a chronograph - and use it - will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(edited for brevity)
Thanks for asking our advice.

I set up my chronograph atop a two-foot long board complete with screens (and armor) and that whole assembly on a small portable table before setting foot downrange. That way, all I have to do is pick up the entire assembly and place it about a dozen feet in front of the shooting station. If the device is not pointed at the shooting station, I don't reposition the table, but adjust the board (turn left or right or shim one or the other end up as needed).

Before carrying the table out, I determine the approximate location (left-right) for it to be in line with the targets.

It all goes pretty quickly.

If the height of the device is not right for me to hit the targets, I will sometimes raise or lower my shooting position, the chronograph or the target.

Usually, however, I don't put it in the line of fire of my regular shooting station. I send a lot more lead downrange without clocking speed and would not like to have an errant round hit my device. If there is room, I have the thing set off to the next shooting station to my side.

A piece of dowling, yardstick or a tape measure extended out can give you a pretty good idea of how to "aim" your chronograph back at your shooting station to get it lined up pretty good. I don't have to run back and forth to get it lined up well. However, most of the time I just eyeball it with the skyscreen supports.

About the accidents:

I bought myself a Chronograph a couple of years ago. My friend, who is an EXCELLENT shot managed to put a .22 round right through the center of the readout screen on the first day we used it. We still don't know how that happened. He is still embarrassed about it.

My replacement has a remote control/readout which sets on the bench, which makes it easier to turn the thing off when not clocking loads (saves batteries) or to hit "reset" when it needs it. It is also much easier to read the numbers.

My Chronograph also wears iron armor. A couple of pieces of channel iron laid atop the unit and angled to avoid any chance of a bullet making a direct hit. Cost about $40, but good insurance. The iron will take a hit from a 500 S&W (at a shallow angle) without any denting at all.

Good luck