Tips on proper use of Sr9c mag loader

Help Support Ruger Forum:

looney2ns

Bearcat
I'm a newbie gun owner. Would someone be so kind as to give me some tips on proper useage of the mag loader that comes with the Sr9c?
Thanks!

Put one round in mag by hand first. Place loader on top of mag. It can only go on one way and still allow you to load it. So I'll let you figure that out ;).

Push Down on loader Until there is room to shove a round into the mag.
Push round into mag. Repeat.

Just think of the loader as an solid metal thumb extension. That's all it really does is give your thumb something larger and easier to press on then the previously loaded round.

ruger_fan

Bearcat
SkepticalChymist said:
Put one round in mag by hand first. Place loader on top of mag. It can only go on one way and still allow you to load it. So I'll let you figure that out ;).

Just think of the loader as an solid metal thumb extension. That's all it really does is give your thumb something larger and easier to press on then the previously loaded round.

I use it more as a 'pull down' loader rather than a 'push down' loader. Works much faster and less fumbly for me this way.

I put the first round in as described. Then put the loader on the magazine. Then, I have the magazine/loader rest on something 'solid', and grip the magazine/loader with my left hand like a bicycle handlebar and pull the loader down (which pushes down the round). I then use my right hand to feed in the next round and repeat. Doing it this way, it can be very easily manipulated in a repetitive fashion, and I can load my two small mags and the large mag very very quickly while at the range.

HTH.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
+1 on the upLULA.

I've used mine on the mags for my KP944, SR9c, and just for fun my buddies LCP. Works great on all of them and much faster then the ruger loader. Still difficult getting the last round in the 944 mags even with it though, its a tight fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zos_7e-c4t0

looney2ns

Bearcat
Thanks all. That helps tremendously.
First pennies have been placed in the jar for the upgrade! :)

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
ruger_fan said:
SkepticalChymist said:

I use it more as a 'pull down' loader rather than a 'push down' loader. Works much faster and less fumbly for me this way.

I put the first round in as described. Then put the loader on the magazine. Then, I have the magazine/loader rest on something 'solid', and grip the magazine/loader with my left hand like a bicycle handlebar and pull the loader down (which pushes down the round). I then use my right hand to feed in the next round and repeat. Doing it this way, it can be very easily manipulated in a repetitive fashion, and I can load my two small mags and the large mag very very quickly while at the range.

HTH.

I use mine that way as well.... and can't understand the real benefits of the UPLULA?

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
PAVTXER said:
I use mine that way as well.... and can't understand the real benefits of the UPLULA?

One loader works with Single Stack, Double Stack, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45GAP, 10MM, etc.

Once you get the hang of it, it is easier and faster than the base model 9mm double stack magazine loader.

Charlie

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Leucoandro said:
PAVTXER said:

One loader works with Single Stack, Double Stack, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45GAP, 10MM, etc.

Once you get the hang of it, it is easier and faster than the base model 9mm double stack magazine loader.

Charlie

I certainly see the benefits of the UPLULA when you have various manufacters firearms with various size ammo.....but I don't have that much of firearm inventory.

That being said, doesn't Ruger include a speed loader with each of it's different firearms requiring a magazine (if bought new)? I'm only an owner of the SR9c (then rifles/shotguns), so I don't know.

Presently, though, the only thing that would make me faster at reloading my SR9c mags with the included loader, is a faster eye/hand/arm movement to pick the ammo up with my right hand and get it to the magazine. My left hand repetition on moving the mag loader is almost a reflex movement, I hardly think about it.

I'm sure once Ruger decides on a new .45 format (SR45 or 1911) that I'm hopeful for, I may be the prime target market for a UPLULA, if the Ruger offering doesn't include a speed loader to begin with.

A

Anonymous

I have a tip- go to the gun shop, get one of those cheap plastic ones-HKS brand- probably less than 10 bucks- has a lever on it, you just slide the mag into the slot, push the lever down on the follower, and there's an opening for the round.

Hawkeye913

Bearcat
Iron Mike has it right. Throw that thing away and get an upLULA. They're all over the place for under $30.

Verndog

Blackhawk
I have the uplula also and although it's faster and easier, if you shoot say 100 rounds per month it saves like maybe 2-3 minutes of time, thats it. The stock loader works fine IMO. BTW Cheese I'm only posting this because I'm bored and there is nothing else to debate at this time. :wink:

tcanthonyii

Bearcat
On my XD I can load by hand much faster than with any loader. On my SR9c I wish I had an upLula but shoot little enough it's not worth with the extra 30. If I shot a lot thought I would certainly invest in one. They are wonderful. Right new the stocker works just fine for me. You get into a rythem with it.

A

Anonymous

I'm a tad old, need a loader to overcome the arthritis. I dount I'm the only one around these here parts..
I tried to get an uplula when I bought the HKS, but no one had them around here..and ordering on the net was $25-30 plus shipping, so I tried the cheap one- no kidding, it works like a charm. I don't doubt the uplula is better, just sayin'.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Uplula is the best and fastest loader I have ever seen! I have one and I use it all the time. It may not save all that much time in the whole scope of things, but it makes loading so easy, it's almost fun.

Latest posts