Tips for Installing a Hogue grip on a Ruger Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I had a couple pairs of the Hogue black rubber grips arrive the other day from Midway.
I spent an hour or so tonight trying to install them on a NM Super Blackhawk 5.5" (round trigger guard) barrel and a Single six.
I tried em both on each revolver several times and could not ge them to fit properly on the gripframes. The model number for the grips are #83000, they say they fit NM Super Blackhawks with 4 5/8" and 5.5" barrel (round trigger guard) and Single Six's but it doesn't seem like they fit to me.

I've installed Hogue grips on many revolvers in the past with no issues.

Anybody run across this before....am I missing something?

Regards,

Josh

actionflies

Bearcat
I got it in but it scratches the painted grip frame up pretty bad and looked really ugly so i took it off and gave it away. What a waste of money.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I like them on my large bore NM BHs (.41 Mag 6.5 in and .45 Colt 5.5 in) and my RH Hunter. I like using a 2 hand grip and my hands are large. One day I will get Bisley grip frames and go back to wood.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I dont have any love for the looks of the Hogue grips either. I just need the larger handle...

VTM

Bearcat
I had a similar problem! When I called Hogue, they said they did not make grips for the New Blackhawk. I believe that is the problem with your rubber grips. I begged them to make a pair for me in wood and they would not do it.

I had some beautiful stags made for the gun, but I banged my knuckle and I just could not get comfortable with them or the standard grips.

I put on Pachmyer presentation grips and could not be happier! Wonderful, larger, no knuckle bust and fit perfectly for my hand.

They feel great in the winter.

Now if I could get someone to make a pretty would grip of the same configuration, I would by them...until then, I'm a happy man.

VTM

TheDude

Single-Sixer
Well...for what its worth, the hair dryer worked. Those grips are a serious pain in the butt to get on, even when heated it took 6 or 7 tries before it went on right.

Thanks to all who answered.

Regards,

Josh