Things people remember about you

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I stopped @ Menards today and as I was leaving my pickup I recognized a guy cutting across the empty parking space beside me. I hadn't seen him since 2008 but called his name timidly. He gave me a double take and then recognized me. A few minutes of small talk about the missing 15 years and then he asked if I was still a hardcore hunter/shooter. Seems he has two Granddaughters who want to hunt deer and wanted my opinion on a suitable rifle. He was planning to buy a new rifle that would be suitable for the girls' use now and future. I'd just come from the LGS less than a mile away and recommended he go there and look at a Ruger bolt action in 6.5 Grendel. He wasn't familiar with the caliber but was certainly interested. I gave him my # and offered any other help he might need.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, it's always interesting about what people remember about us,, AND what we remember about them.
While I think your choice of rifles is fine,, I might have offered a different caliber just because of the availability of ammo issues. 6.5 Grendel isn't as readily available as a few other calibers. Nothing wrong with it for their purpose, just ammo availability might be occasionally hard to get when needed.

Well, he has a .223 and .243 but zero confidence in either. Maybe it's a regional thing but 6.5Grendel ammo is on the shelf at a gun shop within a few miles of this guy's home(it was last week anyway) and at the shop where I saw the Ruger American 6.5Gr.
He's a smart guy with 'adequate resources' so I hope it works out for him.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
The .243 would be good. But, confidence in a caliber of choice goes a long way to success.
Light rifles, mild recoil( on par with 30-30) , Very accurate, flat shooting, brings enough energy to easily take deer, I just can't seem to think of a reason not to be confident with the caliber? I guess the dad and girls think otherwise.

"I just can't seem to think of a reason not to be confident with the caliber? "
I most certain CAN. I got my first 243 in the early 70's in pursuit of a respite from the pounding recoil of the .30 target rifles. Coming off a stint with the Army's Marksmanship unit as a national level competitor, accuracy and bullet placement weren't an issue BUT bullet performance seemed to be lacking. I finally settled on the Hornady 87 grain with the 'coke bottle' shaped core that both expanded and resisted separation. Even that didn't last long and I returned to the 'big bores' that ALWAYS WORKED.
Fast forward to the early 90's when I had a small framed Daughter who did at times have bullet placement issues and a rifle that was picky about bullets. That lead to another spate of poor performance/terminal effect. Speer GrandSlam was the final option and worked mostly OK(not great by any means).
Grandson tried my old 243 beginning in 2020 with mostly poor results regardless of bullet choice(iffy bullet placement was partially to blame) and the 243 went back on the rack.
YES, I can understand my friend's lack of confidence in the 243.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny when folks remember stuff that sometimes you've long forgotten. But how we impress folks,, with our actions can be very different than we perceive.

And as for the .243, I understand the "lack of confidence" thought process.
Decades ago,, the .243 was my best & preferred choice of deer rifles,, before I went to dedicated handgun hunting. I took 21 whitetails, all with 1 shot kills with mine, before passing it to my son.
BUT,,,,,,,,, I was using the Hornady 100 grn Spire Pt bullet, and I PLACED my shots in the neck. Bullet placement as well as a heavy enough bullet to penetrate & kill cleanly was paramount. I never took a body shot. I never needed a follow-up shot either. However,, I've seen enough folks who've lost or wounded deer with a body shot from a .243 to know it can have potential issues in the hands of someone who fails to understand it's limitations.

When my granddaughter was a baby,, I won a Remington 700 in 7-08 cal. I set it aside for her first real deer rifle.

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Regarding the .243; I've never been sold on hi-velocity. To be honest, if I was to load for a .243, I would like to use a heavy bullet, say 120- 160 grain, Round Nosed Soft Point. But, I'm a fan of the 7x57 Mauser with 175 grain Round Nosed Soft Points. I guess I'm a dreamer.

contender

Ruger Guru
The .243 doesn't have many bullet offerings over 105 grns usually. And the rifling twist isn't set up for heavier bullets in the 120-160 grn range. As noted,, step up a caliber or two & you can have that.

trackerdan

Bearcat
I stopped @ Menards today and as I was leaving my pickup I recognized a guy cutting across the empty parking space beside me. I hadn't seen him since 2008 but called his name timidly. He gave me a double take and then recognized me. A few minutes of small talk about the missing 15 years and then he asked if I was still a hardcore hunter/shooter. Seems he has two Granddaughters who want to hunt deer and wanted my opinion on a suitable rifle. He was planning to buy a new rifle that would be suitable for the girls' use now and future. I'd just come from the LGS less than a mile away and recommended he go there and look at a Ruger bolt action in 6.5 Grendel. He wasn't familiar with the caliber but was certainly interested. I gave him my # and offered any other help he might need.
I had a similar experience about a month ago. Good times even after all these years.

"The .243 doesn't have many bullet offerings over 105 grns usually"
"Ah, but if it did"
It would be called 6mm Creedmoor or another of the new hatch of fast twist 6mm cartridges!!!

AzGeno

Single-Sixer
.243 has always performed for me. Shot placement is very important but I think bullet selection is most critical.
I only use hand loaded 100gr. Hornady or my go with my favorite the Nosler Partition for everything.
I think this caliber, properly loadEd with the right bullet will take anything down within 100 yds, if I do my part.
I have full confidence in the .243.