Which gun would you use for deer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I'm just getting into deer hunting. No luck yet. I don't yet own a dedicated deer rifle yet. Here are my current options. What would you hunt with?

1. Mossberg 500 shotgun with 24" smooth bore barrel and rifle sights. Foster slugs. (My current choice. Good out to 50 meters)

2. Ruger AR556 with 5 round magazine and expensive hollow points. Scope.

3. Mosin Nagant rifle with surplus FMJ 7.62x54r rounds. Iron sights.

4. M1 Garand CMP service grade with FMJ 30.06 surplus rounds. Iron sights.

All choices are legal in Michigan to hunt deer.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Is it legal to hunt with FMJ ammo in Michigan ?
I sure wouldn't use it even if it was legal.

Of the 4 choices you give , I would use the AR556 with soft pointed bullets.
Second would be the Garand if you don't mind carrying it around.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
FMJ is definitely not advisable unless you're hunting rhino's. The AR w/hollow points might work if you put the bullet in the right place - study up on deer anatomy. I'd go with the shotgun.

Here's a good article with pics:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/the-great-deer-anatomy-explainer-and-what-you-need-to-know-as-a-hunter/

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Busterswoodshop said:
Is it legal to hunt with FMJ ammo in Michigan ?
I sure wouldn't use it even if it was legal.

Of the 4 choices you give , I would use the AR556 with soft pointed bullets.
Second would be the Garand if you don't mind carrying it around.

Yes. It's legal to hunt with FMJ in Michigan.

Weight is not an issue. I will be stationary most of the time.

Thank you for your quick response.

contender

Ruger Guru
Since weight isn't an issue,, I'd go with the 30-06 IF,, IF you have some different ammo. While FMJ ammo is what is used in the military,, it's not an ideal bullet. If that's what you choose,, I'd try HARD for a head shot. Otherwise,,, the FMJ will zip right through & not do the deer honor of a quick death.
The Shotgun, with slugs is an excellent choice,, but you are limited in range. Only you can decide if you need something with a longer reach.
The AR in .223/556 with the hollowpoints is a pretty good choice,, but I'd look for some soft points instead,, if possible.
The Mosin Nagant would be my last choice, especially with surplus ammo.

So,, with what you've mentioned,, I'd stay with the shotgun.

wwb

Hunter
My suggestion would be the shotgun, but rather than the smoothbore, get the rifled barrel and shoot sabots.... they are more accurate than slugs, shoot much flatter, and are easily good for 100+ yards. You can get the rifled barrel either with iron sights or a cantilever mount for a scope. If you want to hunt ducks, geese, or upland birds, all you need is a different barrel and you're in business.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I made my decision as if I were hunting in my area.
I keep forgetting lots of you don't shoot much past 100 yards.
If you aren't shooting past 100 yards then the shotgun would work.
I have never hunted deer with a shotgun. 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like the general consensus is to stay with the shotgun, avoid FMJ and potentially use the AR. For now, I'll stick with my shotgun.

Of the choices you have listed, the shotgun and slugs are the the only choice I would recommend. While the rifles listed are all adequate, the ammo suggested is profoundly WRONG.
Send me a PM and I'll offer suggestions on ammo for the .223/5.56 that will work OK for deer hunting. None of those suggestions will be HP and it certainly won't cost as much as 12 ga slugs. While I don't recommend the .223 for most deer hunting, it can be made to work if used carefully.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A.J. said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like the general consensus is to stay with the shotgun, avoid FMJ and potentially use the AR. For now, I'll stick with my shotgun.

Good decision. Just curious, but you mentioned getting a deer gun later. Got anything specific in mind? I use a Henry .41 mag carbine with Hornady 190 gr LeveRevolution or Underwood 210gr XTP (preferred). Reliable, accurate, hard hitting, and good out to 125yds or so. Hasn't failed me yet. 1 shot, 1 kill. :)

A.J.

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
A.J. said:

Good decision. Just curious, but you mentioned getting a deer gun later. Got anything specific in mind? I use a Henry .41 mag carbine with Hornady 190 gr LeveRevolution or Underwood 210gr XTP (preferred). Reliable, accurate, hard hitting, and good out to 125yds or so. Hasn't failed me yet. 1 shot, 1 kill. :)

I want a deer rifle, but don't know exactly what rifle. The choices are so limited right now, I've pretty much give up until the market stabilizes.

If I had to pick something, I'd go with a nice .308 preferably with iron sights. Scoped would be fine too. I'm completely open to the action: single shot, bolt action, lever action, etc...

I have the Henry catalog and see many things in there. My favorites: long ranger in 308 and single shot in 308.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
volshooter said:
Perhaps I missed it but no range was mentioned.........

I sighted in my slug barrel for 50 meters. I won't take a shot any farther than that.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Ruger American bolt gun in .308 would be a good choice. Not expensive,, well built,, and actually very accurate. Plus,, according to a person in management I spoke with at SHOT about percentages of firearms returned for service,, the American has a VERY low rate of returns.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
contender said:
The Ruger American bolt gun in .308 would be a good choice. Not expensive,, well built,, and actually very accurate. Plus,, according to a person in management I spoke with at SHOT about percentages of firearms returned for service,, the American has a VERY low rate of returns.

I have heard nothing but positive comments about the Ruger American. Thanks for the suggestion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A.J. said:
GunnyGene said:
A.J. said:

I want a deer rifle, but don't know exactly what rifle. The choices are so limited right now, I've pretty much give up until the market stabilizes.

If I had to pick something, I'd go with a nice .308 preferably with iron sights. Scoped would be fine too. I'm completely open to the action: single shot, bolt action, lever action, etc...

I have the Henry catalog and see many things in there. My favorites: long ranger in 308 and single shot in 308.

I know a couple guys that have Long Rangers and love them. The .308 is also a great round for hogs, which are a problem around here. Like a couple other Southern States hogs are open season 24/7/365 no limit, no permit or tag needed.

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I agree with Contender I bought the American Compact in .308 when they first came out. Liked it so much that I bought two more for my grandsons. Just the right size, carry it in my 10/22 case.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
#2 with .... Winchester Deer Season XP .223 Remington Ammunition 64 Grain Extreme Point 302. OR Winchester Super-X .223 Rem Ammunition 64 Grain Power-Point JSP 3020 fps

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/.223-remington-and-5.56-nato/?cgid=110

A.J. said:
I'm just getting into deer hunting. No luck yet. I don't yet own a dedicated deer rifle yet. Here are my current options. What would you hunt with?

Ruger AR556 with 5 round magazine and expensive hollow points. Scope.

The scope will allow you to shoot earlier, later, and in the woods in shadows.
Quicker, too!
Hands down, the scope wins!