The Which Holster Conundrum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
When it comes to totin' that boat anchor around, better known as my pet Ruger CMD. I was hard pressed to find just the right holster. These days there seems to be more holster makers then there are guns. And over the years I've had many holsters, some from custom makers, and others from big name companies like Galco, Bianchi, etc. For me anyway, I've found the best way to deal with the weight of an all steel 1911, is with the IWB carry mode. I also realize even in that category there's much to choose from. Kydex, hybrids, and all the latest raves. But I'm a traditional old fart, which means I favor leather. And having to watch my pennies lately kind of narrowed my selection. Well, I finally settled on a Don Hume IWB holster, type that has the belt clip. And darn, I love it!. Easy to put on, and just as easy to take off. And the price left me enough change to where I could afford myself a Big Mac and a Vanilla Shake afterwards. Guess I'm just easy to please. :wink:

A.W.

Mus408

Hunter
I'm a lefty,so finding one on the rack can be a challenge. However,while on my shooting vacation in the Georgia Mtns., I found an Uncle Mikes IWB size 5,for a lefty and it really fits and works great.....real slick on the draw! Carrying this gun feels more comfortable than carrying my Glock 23.

eveled

Hawkeye
I find that different holsters work in different ways, and it is useful to have a selection for a gun that gets carried a lot. Lately I use this one more often than the others.

http://shootingsystems.com/concealment_holsters/inside_the_waistband_belt_clip_holster_iwb/

It is also nice to have a Remora sticky holster, Ed.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Checked out the link to Shooting Systems. The holster pictured appears practical, and reasonably priced. I like a holster like that, quick to use in a pinch.

A.W.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Try a strong-side Galco Paddle-type holster. They are great, very secure if you need to sprint, yet allowing fast on-off as you enter no-gun establishments, and have a thumb snap, which is an essential no-brainer for public carry.

They also afford a "non-tactical wannabe" look by using real leather in a variety of colors.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
The Milt Sparks Summer Special (lined so the moisture does not get to the 1911)
are excellent. BUT they do not fit in with the less expensive group. If you care
to try for an amazing (at least to me) value, try the Alien Gear hybrid IWBs.
They come about as close to nullifying the statement "they should be comforting,
not comfortable" as possible. I have one now and another on order.

When you have one on, the only thing to remind you it is there is the grip of
the gun when you sit down. If it were not for that, it would be comfortable
to a level of forgetting you have it on. :shock:

As if that were not enough, they are also quite inexpensive. 8)

sousana

Single-Sixer
Lol, over the past 45 years I've acquired a sizeable collection of holsters, nearly a 55g drum full. I recently cleaned em all, lightly oiled then vacuum sealed and put them in c-thru cont based on the weapon its for. At count I had like 230 holsters, not counting those that come with some weapons.

Find the best quality you can afford and look for one that has a supported mouth, to aid in holstering.

sousana

Single-Sixer
I do as well, but over 40 years worth of holsters, lol, I can only wear two at a time. Only the ones I don't use get vac'd for use at another time, plus, many of those holsters I don't have weapons for, but you can't get rid of them cause a week after you do, you'll buy a gun that would have gone in the holster you just sold.

When it comes to guns and accessories, I get rid of nothing, lol, I still have some 40-60 blackpowder ammo vacuum sealed for whenever I pick up a lever action 40-60.

Big Dawg

Bearcat
I have my full size SR in a snap on made by Mojo gunleather. Works good and lasts a long time.

DominicusSaxon

Bearcat
I'm a righty by nature but my right eye is down to around 40% so I've had to learn how shoot left handed. With 100 rounds, I manage to get everything in the inner 3 rings so not too bad. To help with my draw, I picked up a leather shoulder holster Galco VHS (vertical draw) because the full sized 1911 is just too long to carry it horizontal in a shoulder rig.