THE WAY IT WAS!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Life was tough back in the 40's, sometimes we didn't have shoes, other times we went hungry....unless one of us could catch one of those chickens! We didn't have plumbing & it was a loooong ways to the outhouse in the winter, didn't see a TV until I was 8 yrs old.
No video games, no TV, no 4 wheelers or snow machines, once in a while we would get a comic book, sometimes there was home made root beer or ice cream, maybe twice a month we would get to town, walked 3/4 of a mile to catch the school bus when I got older. Heck, it wasn't so bad, at least I didn't have to mow the grass!
This is in 1949 ( 4 years old)

ScannedImage006.jpg

Dick

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Great photo, Dick! Brings back some fond memories of growing up post WWII. We got in-door plumbing in '50 or 51, when dad was able to move into company (PHillips Petroleum) housing. Mom thought she was in heaven, indoor plumbing! :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Robb, that photo was taken in Milford, Utah, out on the "flats", dad milked 13 cows by hand & tried to scratch a living out of 60 acres, farmed it with a horse, then finally a small tractor, maybe a 8N or 9N Ford, not sure.
One day mom made some root beer & put it in bottles & then buried it in the mud along the ditch behind the house. I guess the plan was it was suppose to "age" for several days. I sat down on the back step... we had a beautiful air conditioned one, & started waiting for the root beer to "age", after about an hour I couldn't stand it, I dug out one of those bottles, washed it off in the ditch & drank the whole thing. My mom thought it was quite funny!
One day dad & my oldest brother were fixing a leak on the roof, dad had gave me a small piece of rope & I was walking around through the "flower garden" looking for something to rope.... the folks always had a few turkeys around & one was a big old white gobbler, he kind of had an attitude so I mostly stayed clear of him but on this day he was a "cow" & I planned to lasso him.
Well I did it, I got my loop around his neck & he turned on me & the race was on, we made 2 full laps around the house... dad & Billy were cheering for the gobbler, on the second lap I managed to swing a little gate shut & make it in the front door, no more turkey roping for me!
You can see we had a wonderful porch on back! This was a few years after we moved away.

034283-R2-26-26.jpg

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, that grin gives you away every time! I reckon there's a slingshot in your back pocket, and callshot is looking for rocks for you to shoot!

Samantha says you look like Caleb in that photo. :lol:

callshot

Blackhawk
I remember those days pretty well. I spent the summer and winter of 1949 in Salt Lake City in Primary Childrens' Hospital. The snow was over the telephone poles in Idaho so I didn't get any visitors. You also didn't know me back then so you had to do without. :lol: Steve

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
callshot said:
I remember those days pretty well. I spent the summer and winter of 1949 in Salt Lake City in Primary Childrens' Hospital. The snow was over the telephone poles in Idaho so I didn't get any visitors. You also didn't know me back then so you had to do without. :lol: Steve

Dang, Steve, must of been a l o n g winter couped up in a hospital and not knowing ol' Dick. :lol: It's a wonder he made it w/o you covering for him. :wink: