The One That Got Away.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BRL

Single-Sixer
Would have posted this in the reloading section, but you can't reload what you can't find.

I shoot out in the woods that has lots of brush and stuff, and I usually put my baseball cap over the ejection port so I can retrieve the empties for reloading.

Works great!

Well, I forgot to take my cap off this time and on the third shot noticed a glimmer of a spent case flying off to my right...oops!

The first two were fairly easy to find and the third should have been sitting right beside them, but after an hour I finally gave up.

I left the forest that day looking like it had been recently clear-cut.

Right now that little case is getting soaked in a downpour here and I'm afraid it won't be any good if I do eventually find it.

I think I may have the beginning stages of something really compulsive. :(

004 (8).JPG

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Sorry for your loss!!!!!!!!! This is the main reason I use Hornady 'Steel Match' in my EDC AR.
I tried using a clip on brass catcher on my coyote calling rifle but it just added clutter and then Son grabbed the rifle in an attempt to get a shot at a fleeing yotie resulting in the catcher being yanked completely off. I saw it on the shelf this morning and after a slight bit of tweeking, it's restored to functional but it's not going hunting again.
If archeologists dig this place up 100-200 years in the future, they're going to have some weird stories to tell concerning "The battle of Tick Ridge" due to all the lost brass and spent bullets imbedded in the landscape.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a gun range & after a USPSA match,, many left behind pieces of brass are scattered everywhere. I allow all competitors to get as much brass as they wish.

But it's usually the folks who have a different caliber other than 9mm or .40 S&W who are serious brass chasers.
Me? I try & get most of my brass back,, because I usually shoot a revolver with moon clips.

But,, if you do find that lost soul,,, it can be restored to it's former glory of being a shiny delivery vessel for you!

BRL

Single-Sixer
Sorry for your loss!!!!!!!!!
...If archeologists dig this place up 100-200 years in the future, they're going to have some weird stories to tell concerning "The battle of Tick Ridge" due to all the lost brass and spent bullets imbedded in the landscape.
That's FUNNY!
Thanks for the consoling words.

I usually locate all my empties these days, even for my semi-auto pistols, now that I figured out a method to trap them, and I do enjoy reloading my brass.

Guess that's why I let it bother me so much when just one gets lost, even though I have hundreds in various calibers.

My friend will soon be showing up with a few hundred more empty .223 cases that I gave him the last time I sold an AR-15, but the weather needs to get dryer first and it needs to stop raining on my lost case!

Dang thing only had one reload on it! 016.JPG

BRL

Single-Sixer
I own a gun range & after a USPSA match,, many left behind pieces of brass are scattered everywhere. I allow all competitors to get as much brass as they wish...

But it's usually the folks who have a different caliber other than 9mm or .40 S&W who are serious brass chasers...
Nice of you.

.40 S&W is another cartridge that I lost just one of before I came up with the pop-up tent idea.

That one has been gone almost a year and I still miss it. :(

003 (3).JPG

Cholo

Staff member
I went shooting "down the ridge" with my then 8 year old granddaughter. She was shooting on this trip, but when I was shooting she was to watch where the brass generally went. One trip we couldn't find one single piece of .380 brass. I don't even reload .380's. We looked for what seemed like forever for that piece of brass knowing it had to have landed in one area. Nope.

We went to the same place the next winter and it was my turn to shoot a revolver I'd brought. I turn around and there she was holding up that one piece of .380 brass we couldn't find the year before. Of course it was black when she found it.

It still sits on my dresser as a reminder of a really good time :)

BRL

Single-Sixer
That is a very inspirational story, gives me hope I'll eventually find that dang spent cartridge.

What a little doll, eye and ear protection on too!

Hang on to that .380 case Cholo! :)

I help sponsor a little shoot every year during a chimney sweep gathering on Lake Murray here in S.C. for the last 10 or more years we finally figure out to put a big tarp on the ground at our firing line.... usually end up with about 1/2 a five gallon bucket full of brass.

I really do't think I could spend more than 2 or 3 minutes looking for one case of spent brass.... must be one more special caliber.

moparclan

Bearcat
Lost brass is not really an issue as I have a friend that works at a local range and gives me more brass than I can ever use. Now an arrow is a different story, Archery hunting javelina one year and lost an arrow, looked for over an hour for that one arrow. Three years later hunting the same area and I found that dang arrow. Faded, bent and the plastic fletching was gone(mice/packrats) but by golly I found it!(y)

BRL

Single-Sixer
I've had a lot of
My Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, as well as my Colts and Ubertis, keep my fired brass in their innards and deposit them on demand into the palm of my hand. Gentlemanly firearms, they are.

Bob Wright
I've owned LOTS of mostly OM Single Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, and Flattops in .44 and .357 Magnum.

I wrote down most of the SN#'s and had posted lots of pictures on here and .NET but Photobucket removed them and I eventually sold them all off. :(

002.JPG

44Squatch

Bearcat
My PoPs taught me at a young age that my job at the range was to watch where the brass went, and then we’d pick them up. Yea, we used brass catchers, tarps, u-name-it to try and make things easier. To this day, when we go to the range, the first thing we do is pick up brass that others have left, and scour the area when we’re done for whatever we dropped. That is my only OCD behavior, but I guess its a good one.

And I passed it along to my kids, as they now participate in doing the same damn thing I grew up doing. But they enjoy it more because they’re satisfying Grandpa, not, in their eyes, their Father …

BRL

Single-Sixer
Went to that spot today and brought the CMMG conversion unit to test function and accuracy with various brands of bulk .22LR ammo.

Those units do pretty good considering what they are.

And of course I looked for that spent case.

First, I considered the possibility that the ejecting case may have bounced off a small rock and headed off in a different direction, so I widened my search area.

Second, I considered the possibility that I may have already picked it up with some debris I was clearing at the time and accidentally tossed it aside.

Third, I considered the possibility that I may be a moron for spending so much time searching for one stupid empty case and finally gave up.

Then I had a great rest of my day plinking! :)

007.JPG