The Cleanest 66 I saw in a While

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wow, the only 66 I saw was a 3 inch barrelled one a buddy had back in the mid 80's. I didn't realize they came with longer barrels. I'll be on the looke out for them now.
gramps

jpickar

Blackhawk
I have two 65 3"ers. This one is a 66 3" gun. I just don't see the value in them.
But that is just me.

John

hudlow

Bearcat
Not a 66 but a 67...

One of my Pa-in-law's service revolvers he used for dressin' up.

Shot very little but the trigger is butter smooth.

im0005112xg7.jpg

hud

jpickar

Blackhawk
OK, I get that.

I just suck at shooting a 3" barrel. :lol: So I have little interest in them. Matter of fact I'll sell you the 65-5 Lady Smith I have in 3" if you want.

John :)

tateb24

Bearcat
66s have to be one of the best revolvers in a medium sized frame, I really wish they would bring them back.

annasophia

Bearcat
OK, I'm going to do some venting.... I can't stand people who are on a Ruger forum and feel the need to spout off about how another brand of firearms is so much better than Ruger, and in fact, they then even reveal that they don't even own a Ruger... Why are you even here you fool? The list goes on from there! Why do some people have the need to always inform everyone about how many dozens or hundreds of guns they have as if that somehow makes them an expert in that area without anything of merit to go on? Do deep pockets somehow equate to a superior level of knowledge? Some people who "own" tons of prime guns are complete dopes that really don't know their south end from what they see in the mirror in the morning! Since I'm on a roll here I'll finish my rant; I can't stand when people try to copy Elmer Keith and always say "we" in place of "I". Please get over yourselves. Now that I have shed some weight off my chest, I do have to say that I enjoy reading most of the posts from the majority of the people here; it's just a minority of posters that have a real lack of self esteem or some sort is small man's complex. Most of us are here to simply have fun and possibly learn something valid, can we just be real here?

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I bought this -2 new, maybe 30 years ago. Never did shoot it a lot but had it with me a lot. It's light and handy for being a steel, 4" 357. It's killed coyotes (2 last year), injured calves, deer, prairie dogs and lots of snakes.

fc4f9b2f-1-1.jpg

sheepdawg

Single-Sixer
annasophia said:
OK, I'm going to do some venting.... I can't stand people who are on a Ruger forum and feel the need to spout off about how another brand of firearms is so much better than Ruger, and in fact, they then even reveal that they don't even own a Ruger... Why are you even here you fool? The list goes on from there! Why do some people have the need to always inform everyone about how many dozens or hundreds of guns they have as if that somehow makes them an expert in that area without anything of merit to go on? Do deep pockets somehow equate to a superior level of knowledge? Some people who "own" tons of prime guns are complete dopes that really don't know their south end from what they see in the mirror in the morning! Since I'm on a roll here I'll finish my rant; I can't stand when people try to copy Elmer Keith and always say "we" in place of "I". Please get over yourselves. Now that I have shed some weight off my chest, I do have to say that I enjoy reading most of the posts from the majority of the people here; it's just a minority of posters that have a real lack of self esteem or some sort is small man's complex. Most of us are here to simply have fun and possibly learn something valid, can we just be real here?

I say that an S&W 66 is my favorite revolver in the safe and that's a problem? I'm not putting Rugers down, a Ruger SP 101 is my usual carry. How much more respect can you get than carrying one? Who's putting Rugers down?

annasophia

Bearcat
picketpin said:
S&W already made a revolver for the steady diet of hot 357 loads. It is/was the N frame either Model 27 or Model 28 or their predicessors. The idea behind the K frame Combat Magnum was as a light weight duty revolver for LEOs so that they could carry it all day day after day and save the wiegth and the some other issues with N frame 357s like rotational mass of the cylinder and time to rotate the larger cylinder. The idea is.was to be able to shoot 357s in your service revolver in actual combat situations. You can safely run 10,000+ 158 grain 357s through a Model 19.

The problem came in the early 70s with the move to high pressure, light bullet 357s. The recoil curve and the point at which they hit the barrel/forcing cone is directly above the 6 o'clock position. Which is where the barrel is the weakest because it has to have a flat milled for it to fit in the K frame.

I own about 21 or 22 Combat Magnums on up through 19-3s in every barrel length and finish available in each engineerring change. My old CXombat Mag has well in excess of 10,000 round through it. Still one of my favorite revolvers. Plus a few 66s and 66-1s.

By all means shoot it with a bunch of hot, light weight bullet loads. Just remember that when you mess up your 1950s Combat Magnum, there are aren't any to replace it, cheaply.

It was never meant/intended to shoot tens of thousands of full power loads. If that bothers you, certainly don't buy one.

I own about 150 S&Ws. I own exactly ZERO Ruger handguns. Apples/Oranges

Ross

jpickar

Blackhawk
Let it go, you vented. No need to resort to name calling.
Some people like to brag. They are irrelavent to this disscussion.

Smith & Wesson has the best design lock works. Rugers are the toughest. They filled a much need hole in the market. Colts are over priced.

We can pic them all apart or expand on thier merits. the discussion here is the NICE S&W 66 first mentioned. They are great guns. Smooth and crisp.

John

Cholo

Staff member
jpickar said:
Let it go, you vented. No need to resort to name calling.
Some people like to brag. They are irrelavent to this disscussion.

Smith & Wesson has the best design lock works. Rugers are the toughest. They filled a much need hole in the market. Colts are over priced.

We can pic them all apart or expand on thier merits. the discussion here is the NICE S&W 66 first mentioned. They are great guns. Smooth and crisp.

John

Yup!

Hey, wait as minute... Colt's over priced? Put 'em up! :x

:wink:

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
There's a nice 66 (can't remember the dash number, either no dash or -1) at my local shop that is basically NIB. Original box and everything. 4" barrel. I think it pretty much just came out of someone's collection. Doubt the gun was fired, other than at the factory.

Price is around the buy it now on that Gunbroker ad.