Thank God For David Clements, Doc Barranti, Rob Weber, and..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
This is my new favorite big bore. Picked it up on here with a 6 1/2" barrel, some blueing loss from blood spatters, some grip frame issues, and one we didn't know about until David got it apart to go through it and refinish it. The cylinder block washer was GONE :shock: It's back now. It's a Clements .50 Magnum (.500 JRH) David built several years ago. I had David cut it back to 5.5" and completely go through it and refinish it. I also put a Bowen Rough Country rear sight on, and had David convert the front sight blade to a 30 degree vertical white line. I can't remember the name of the guy who did the grips. They are an awesome set of New Mexico Big Horn Sheep, and they REALLY fit my big hand well, but the finish on the grip frame was also done by the grip maker, and it left much to be desired. It's part of what I had David fix. The grip work itself is excellent to say the least however. The trigger on this one breaks clean like my rifle triggers. Only revolver I own with this trigger. David looked it over, and is not sure if it's his original trigger job or not. I told him to leave it as is regardless :!: Again, just never felt a better revolver trigger. It's my new favorite :D The knife is one I've probably posted before from my friend Rob Weber of Weber Custom Knives. It's a Damascus Bowie with some Gabon ebony I picked up just for this knife. It wants to kill a pig all by itself :shock: The leather work likely needs no introduction, but I'll tell you it's from our own Doc Barranti anyway :!: A scout rig belt holster and matching knife scabbard. Part of a set from Doc. If anyone has any .500 JRH headstamped brass they're willing to part with, I'm in the market. Please shoot me a PM if you have some :D

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Looks great, Brian! David's work is exceptional!

The stocks look like Larry Caudill's work...

CMH

Blackhawk
I am envious on both accounts :) :) :) Besides revolvers I have a real soft spot for damascus steel......... really liked my damascus bowie until I saw yours and it pales in comparison ;)

gunsbam69

Hunter
Glad you guys are enjoying :D Greg, all I can say is thanks for passing this one on :mrgreen: As soon as I decide which route I'm going to take to get the brass issue dealt with, this one's headed to where it belongs for a little swine safari :x

gunsbam69

Hunter
Thanks for all the cheers. I really do like the recessed cylinder myself, and David's barrel band sight style is my favorite of all the ones I've seen so far :) Turns out the brass issue goes by the name of JAMISON BRASS. Starline and Hornady gave no issues, and caused me to realize there were more issues with the Jamison than I'd realized. (I tend to just naturally fight things sometimes when I should be looking for a better answer, it's fun.) Cut down 50 Winchester to try also. Chronoed some different powders and loads with 450 LFNGC bullets from Dave Jennings at Montana bullet works. 16 of HS6 was getting me 1070 with only 4-7 FPS variance when hand scaled. I've got some 16.5 of HS6 hand scaled loads ready, but my wrist isn't yet. Had an overcast day last week, so I chronoed every big bore on the place. Probly won't do that again :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: