Taurus M380 IB Mini revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
I just returned from a small gun show here in town, where I spotted one of these 5-shot .380 revolvers. Before you start asking why not just get one chambered in .38, let me say that this is a shorter-frame revolver, matched to the length of the cartridge.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/taurus-m380-mini-revolver-review/

This has been a burr under my saddle for some time. Why chamber a revolver capable of holding a .38 or .357 for a 9mm? Or a .45 colt for .45ACP? Or use a .38/.357 frame for a .22? You end up with a gun weighing the same, but firing a lesser cartridge, with a big jump from chamber to barrel. No logic there.

Now, Taurus has come out with a short-frame revolver that is really pocket-sized. Lots of folks sneer at the .380, but the market can't get enough guns chambered for the round. Those who own a wheelgun that uses moon clips know that this is a very fast means of reloading, and more compact than speed-loaders.

The only question I have is whether Taurus management will realize that they have the perfect frame for a truly .22-sized revolver?

DGW1949

Hunter
I read the link, looked at the photo, and reviewed the posted remarks.

My questions:
Why not an 8-shot version in .22LR instead? After all, didn't we just learn in an earlier thread that a .22 is all ya realy need in a gun fight?
And besides that, a .22 wouldn't need those special cartridge clips (that according to the tester, might or might not actualy work).

My observations:
I suppose it would make a nice fashion accessary for casual wear, but a stainless verson with nicer grips would be better for formal occassions.

DGW

stantheman86

Buckeye
It would take a lot to convince me to buy another Taurus, I own 4 of them, all older models like my 2 82's, an 80 and an 83. They are "OK" guns but with a safe full of Rugers and S&W's they serve little more use to me than something to keep out in the garage or the box on my quad that I won't care if they get rusty. All of them needed "tweaking" to work properly and the weak, cheap firing springs that tend to fail are a major Achilles heel of the Taurus revolvers. I have an 82 that had a mashed up firing pin spring that I replaced with a similiar sized Wolff spring. Also, my other 82 has chambers that don't line up with the forcing cone and I have off-center primer strikes. The gun still works, but it's no Ruger.

I'll have to check the price of this .380 Taurus, if I saw one dirt cheap used, it might be good to put a set of Barami hip grips and use it as a deep concealment piece. IMO .380 is perfectly effective as a civilian "shoot and scoot" round, we aren't talking about a revolver we're taking into combat or using as an LEO duty gun, we're talking civilian last ditch defensive weapon. At point blank range, which is probably how a CC gun is likely to be used, this .380 revolver would be an effective choice.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A 9mm would make sense to me but a 380? I guess it has its place, but I will stay with the 38 special as my minimum. :D

stantheman86

Buckeye
I would have to compare it side by side to something like an LCR .38. The weight has to be nearly similiar, and the LCR can't be that much bigger.

I also love wheelguns, but I would think an LCP would be just as small and light, and still a .380.

I wonder how much smaller than the Taurus 85 it really is.......

Either way, I have heard too much bad juju about new Taurus' to risk it.......I saw a guy at my local gun shop 2 days ago returning an M85 for lock failure, the hex nut was working it's way up and jamming the gun. Also, my other LGS stopped being a stocking Taurus dealer because he said he was tired of having them coming back.

Not to start a Taurus bashing fest, just these are personal experiences and I think the older Taurus revolvers are a little better. I think Taurus is a company that's always one step away from being a good, solid lower priced gun manufacturer. They also make WAY too many different models and should just focus on making just a few basic, quality revolvers and autoloaders. Back in the 90's the Taurus PT92 was a solid choice and lots of people bought them and loved them. Their medium frame revolvers were also popular. They just seem to have slipped a lot in recent years.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I saw the Taurus .380 revolver the other day. Neat little gun but for me it would be another cartridge to reload. Now, if somebody brings out a six shot .32 Auto revolver of roughly the same size I'll be the first customer!! The semi rimmed .32 Auto round does not require moon clips either. I guess until then I'll just have to be happy with my Charter Undercoverette .32 magnum.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I have read that some people shoot .32 ACP out of .32 revolvers like .32 H&R's and .327's.

I had a wierd revolver, a Rast Gasser that was chambered for "8mm Gasser" but .32 H&R mags fit perfectly, no case splitting or bulges,or anything. I fired a few .32 ACP's through it and it worked fine.

Hugh

Buckeye
I am acquainted with a number of law enforcement officers who like the idea of the Colt Mustang .380, and others of that size and caliber as a backup. The reason being the small size. I'm guessing that many would switch to something like this little shooter because of the increased safety and ease of operation. It's a wheel gun, no slide to rack and no safety to operate (or fail).

Could be that some folks whose female spouse or friend is looking for protection would be interested in this one as well.

stantheman86

Buckeye
It's a neat concept, if it's smaller than an older S&W J-frame or a Colt Detective Special it could have potential. Then again, it's still not a S&W or a Colt 8)

As it is, my older S&W Model 60 feels tiny........I can't imagine a smaller DA revolver. I recently bought an NAA Mini .22 LR revolver for deep concealment, which is the role I would use the Taurus .380 in, if I had one. For those "a small caliber is better than nothing" times when you don't feel like dressing around a larger piece.

My Beretta Bobcat .22 and .25 pistols fill in nicely as "drop in a pocket" guns. DA and all you do is draw and squeeze.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Stan, it is safe to fire .32 Auto ammo out of .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and .327 revolvers. It is NOT SAFE to fire .32 Auto in .32 S&W revolvers as the former is loaded to higher pressure. The semi-rimmed .32 Auto case will usually load and eject just fine too. However not all .32 revolvers will fire .32 Auto ammo due to the increased distance from rim to firing pin as the .32 Auto rim is about .008 thinner than that of the revolver cartridges. My H&R 733 will only fire .32 Auto about 20% of the time. Haven't tried it in my Charter yet. I would love to buy a compact revolver in .32 Auto but it doesn't look like its ever going to happen. If you've got the $$$ I'm sure it would be no problem to have a .32 Auto cylinder made for a .32 revolver.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I would think the .327 SP101 would have enough "pop" to the firing pin from a standard spring to light off .32 ACP. The inertia should carry the pin far enough forward to make up for the thinner rim. If I were to use the .327 for self defense I wouldn't load it with .32 ACP anyway, so I would just fire the .32 ACP's for "fun".

I would love to see an LCP in .32 ACP, that would be a nice little carry piece. Maybe a double stack mag with a nice 12-14 round capacity, which is the main strength of my .32 ACP CZ-83.......15+1 capacity in a small auto is very nice, one mag is the same loadout as a 5-round snub with two reloads.

My .32 ACP CZ-83 is a little large for the caliber, and although it's an excellent gun and WAY way overbuilt for .32 ACP and will last for far more .32's than I could ever put through it, for the size class of the CZ-83 I might as well carry the 9x18 version loaded with hot self-defense ammo.

RVM45

Bearcat
I liked both the idea and the size.....

But does anyone remember the old Joke about the Hillbilly discussing what his son had learned in School, studying Geometry?

Boy, "We learned about Pi R Square."

Daddy, "No son, Pie are not Square. Pie are Round. Cornbread are Square."

Someone needs to tell several Modern Revolver Manufacturers:

"No Dudes, Revolver are Not Square. Semi-Automatic Pistol are Square.

Revolver are Round!!!"

I liked the look of the little guy--even though it was over-priced, and only a Taurus.

That little Slab-Sided Abomination of a Barrel was a Deal-Breaker for me though.

{Like S&W's Performance Center 627. An Eight-Shot S&W N-Frame is a Captivating Idea.....

But unless I find myself with money to burn, I'm not going to spend $2000 or so for a Revolver, and have to send it to a Custom Revolversmith by return post, to get a Normal, Non-Mutant Freak, Round Barrel installed.....}

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)

Latest posts