Taurus 738

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otis

Bearcat
I took a ccw class tonight and the SR9 performed flawlessly, I cant say the same for the poor guy with the Taurus 738, I dont think he was able to get 1 magazine threw it with out jamming, If it was possable that little gun to find a way to fail it did. Stove pipes, fail to feed, fail to eject ect.

The instructor said that it is common with most .380's except SIG's and Berretta's. He advised the shooter return the gun and get somthing else.

I was actuly thinking of getting one of these later on but after seeing it in action its off the list.

It also supprised me that a couple of people were taking the class with a gun that they had just purchaced in the past week, one hadnt even fired the weapon before.

I'm3rd

Bearcat
Your instructor is full of it. I have 2 .380 pistols, a Keltec and a Russian commercial Makarov in .380 caliber (not 9mm Mak) and both are very reliable and reasonably accurate for that type of pistol. The Mak has never bobbled even once, but the Keltec had 2 stove pipe jams in the first magazine of Hydroshoks it fired but has never malfunctioned again in any way after more than 250 rounds fired, the last 150 of which were my own lead bullet handloads.
I would have bought a LCP instead of the KT, but my LGS couldn't get any LCPs for several months after they went on the market, and he had the KT in stock when I needed a BUG after selling my Beretta .22 rimfire 950. I may swap the KT for a LCP later on if the LGS makes me a good deal, but I have no complaints about the KT except for the heavy trigger pull.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Otis":1675qei4 said:
It also supprised me that a couple of people were taking the class with a gun that they had just purchaced in the past week, one hadnt even fired the weapon before.

At the CCW class I took, 2 young ladies had to rent guns, they didn't own one. Not sure how to take that, but at least they were getting expert instruction.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
The instructor said that it is common with most .380's except SIG's and Berretta's. He advised the shooter return the gun and get somthing else.

I dont think that instructor should be instructing anyone on anything gun related :roll:

resident

Single-Sixer
To me it makes PERFECT sense that someone would take a CCW class immediately after purchasing a new/first handgun. What is so weird about that? It shows good judgement and maturity, IMO.

I have a couple dozen handguns and when I took my wife and daughter to the CCW class they both RENTED guns from the instructor. Why? Because I give them revolvers for personal defense in a conviction towards reliability and simplicity for the ladies... but in TX if you take the CCW with a revolver you are not allowed to carry an auto. I didn't want them to be restricted in that fashion should they later decide to carry one of the autos.

hittman

Staff member
Otis":2olrwcfw said:
The instructor said that it is common with most .380's except SIG's and Berretta's. .

Hope for the attendees sake this instructor knows more about instructing than .380's. 600 rounds through my KelTec P3AT now without a hitch. Sure SIG and Beretta make fine handguns but I'd trust my $279.95 KelTec every day.

Mike J

Hunter
ArmedinAZ":1nuldwa8 said:
Otis":1nuldwa8 said:

At the CCW class I took, 2 young ladies had to rent guns, they didn't own one. Not sure how to take that, but at least they were getting expert instruction.

I can see where it might be logical for someone inexperienced to rent a gun to take a class. It could give them the opportunity gain some experience & see how a particular platform works for them before purchasing.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Mike J":23l8685e said:
ArmedinAZ":23l8685e said:
Otis":23l8685e said:

I can see where it might be logical for someone inexperienced to rent a gun to take a class. It could give them the opportunity gain some experience & see how a particular platform works for them before purchasing.

In Arizona a CCW class IS NOT a firearms training class. It's 6-7 hours of instruction in the legalities of being armed and the legal mess you'll be in if you have to bring your weapon to bear, and about 1 hour to see if you can hit a target at spitting range. One can only hope that those new gun owners with a CCW, legal they may be, do a whole lot more before they arm up and head out.

Sorry for the O/T :?

Otis

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ, Thats was the way that I felt about it. Before they got involved in a class where they had to prove accuracy to pass that they should have gone to a range and at least put some rounds threw their new gun to become familiar with the weapon. One guy didnt know how to lock the slide back on his. There are beginner classes availble to train people that are new to shooting handguns.

As far as the .380 thing, I was just supprised at how bad the Taurus performed. Im glad I got to see one in action before I made a mistake of purchacing one. Maybe it was just a bad gun, or the guy never cleaned it? bad ammo? I dont know. For now Ill stick with the SR9, maybe next year I look at getting a LCP or the SR9c.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ":33n4u27x said:
Otis":33n4u27x said:

I saw the same thing at/during my concealed carry class and range activities. There was one gentleman that brought a semi-automatic that he had just purchased. Don't get me wrong, I am not an expert, but I really felt sorry for the guy. I don't think that he got through firing the five shots required in multiple sessions without a jam or other isssue.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Taurus is not made in USA. I would rather trust my life to a made in USA Ruger!!!! :D

bub

Single-Sixer
I'm kinda surprised. I know a few people that bought the TCP738 for CCW and they have glowing reports about the reliability. Of course, then again, it is a Taurus. It seems that, with Taurus, if you get a good one, you are good to go. If you get a bad one, good luck! Maybe he just got a bad one.

Bub

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
When I got my LCP I was strongly considering the TCP. The one I had fondled had a great trigger, and overall it seemed to be a better value as it came with two mags and the belt carry case. But in the end the Ruger won me over as the fit and finish was much nicer, I like the rounded slide vs the squared off edges on the Taurus, and the fact that I've never had a bad Ruger whereas I have had a bad Taurus.